It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British Actor quits Hellboy reboot over 'Whitewashing' - Seriously give me a break

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+21 more 
posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 06:16 PM
link   

British actor Ed Skrein has pulled out of a role in the upcoming Hellboy reboot after a backlash because he was cast as a character of Asian heritage. The Deadpool star, 34, said he did not know the race of Major Ben Daimio when he accepted the part in the comic book adaptation. He said he was stepping down "so the role can be cast appropriately". The initial casting prompted accusations of Hollywood "whitewashing" following other recent rows.
Source

But it's ok to campaign for a black James Bond?
It's ok to change the role of a ginger white orphan to a black actress (Annie)

Give me strength I am getting so fed up with this

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 06:21 PM
link   
a reply to: fusiondoe

man, if you need the differences among all those concepts explained to you, i just don't know what i could possibly say :l

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Sounds like a load of hooey to me.

Good thing I want planning to watch that rubbish anyway

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Never heard of him until now.

I think the film should be true to the comics, but part of me wants them to cast another white man just to spite him.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Being wealthy means you can have principals. Do you think this dick would pull this if this were his first major role?

Same thing goes for blue collar folks. Most can't afford to quit the job that is keeping them poor.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 07:43 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

he's not THAT rich. He got kicked off the GoT cast due to 'politics' I reckon this is just his spin on him having an argument with management and quitting. If you look at his major films, aside from deadpool, they haven't been really successful commercially although I do like ed skrein.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 07:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: fiverx313

man, if you need the differences among all those concepts explained to you, i just don't know what i could possibly say :l

I can see the actor's point, I don't know why others can't

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 07:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: smurfy
I can see the actor's point, I don't know why others can't

white fragility

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 08:48 PM
link   
www.usatoday.com... doesn't seem like its had the best run of filming luck with this and a stunt lady dying

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 09:00 PM
link   
I don't understand; since when has the ideanty of comic book characters been a ridged concept? The ideanty of comic book characters is as fluidic as water.

Talk about making an issue out of nothing.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 09:04 PM
link   
He should have just continued his role as Daario Naharis.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Good on him. He didn't have to. And before you take a run at me wouldn't Kung Fu had been better with Bruce Lee, who they wanted but the studio pushed David Carradine?

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 09:22 PM
link   
And the Dark Tower suffered for it's casting choice for Roland [And Randal Flagg] But hey it's their money to waste. It's funny to hear all the whining about casting when most movies and tv shows suffer from crappy writing. Doesn't matter who you cast for what, if the script stinks no one can save it.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 09:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
Good on him. He didn't have to. And before you take a run at me wouldn't Kung Fu had been better with Bruce Lee, who they wanted but the studio pushed David Carradine?

David did a great job though. And Bruce was too much of a liability to the studio.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Hollywood started with Jewish writers and producers hiring White actors who played all the roles.
I just saw Raymond Burr (Ironsides) cast as Egyptian in some 70's movie about the curse of King Tut.
He looks silly with spray tan.
It looked even worse when White actors portrayed Blacks in Birth of a Nation.
Woodrow Wilson showing it at the White House was a bit telling.
What does that have to do with today?
Hollywood has always been nuts and politicians lean whatever way the wind blows.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 10:59 PM
link   
If only the dude who took the role of Roland in the Dark Tower movie would do the same thing.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 11:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: hangedman13
And the Dark Tower suffered for it's casting choice for Roland [And Randal Flagg] But hey it's their money to waste. It's funny to hear all the whining about casting when most movies and tv shows suffer from crappy writing. Doesn't matter who you cast for what, if the script stinks no one can save it.

nah, idris elba was great. the movie had problems but he wasn't it.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 11:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skid Mark
If only the dude who took the role of Roland in the Dark Tower movie would do the same thing.

again, you need things explained at such a level i'm not even sure where to start...

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 12:10 AM
link   
That sucks. He's a good actor. Surely he could have done the character justice.

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 12:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: fiverx313

originally posted by: Skid Mark

again, you need things explained at such a level i'm not even sure where to start...

You portray being so knowledgeable of how these things work - surely you being knowledgeable would make you able to start and go from there. Otherwise you are just as bias as your posts portray you to be.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join