It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea Has Apparently Launched A Missile Over Japan

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 07:20 PM
link   
I've never seen a leader so hell-bent on destroying their own country. He's obviously trying to gage how much he can get away with, and it's a very dangerous game. I think he's too stupid to realize how dangerous.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 07:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Pilgrum
The only way I could explain this crazy situation is that KJU (&Co but mostly just him) wants a large shooting war but it has to start over an attack on his country so he can claim self defence.

So we'll see this goading continue just the way it has been for some time yet until someone's patience wears out.

If so he better check out Global Firepower:

www.globalfirepower.com...

Japan comes in at #7. NK 23. Kicking the wrong can here.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 07:29 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

He just couldn't be dumb enough to think he'd be the winner except in terms of post-war reparations to re-build NK's infrastructure.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 07:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

This fellow I've been following on twitter seems knowledgeable about NK missiles.
link

Can now confirm that when I spoke to USG sources this morning, I was told about a likely KN17 launch. US not caught off-guard.

Early ROK numbers put this missile's trajectory in a space that'd be consistent with a KN17/Hwasong-12 IRBM.

More early data from ROK JCS:
-Apogee: 550 km
-Range: 2,700 km

ETA: A possible reason for this launch trajectory is that today was the last day of joint U.S.-Japan Viper drills off Hokkaido.
Also, the launch site may be new...Sunan, near Pyongyang Int'l Airport.

edit on 8/28/2017 by Olivine because: add info

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 07:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

originally posted by: BlueJacket
a reply to: theantediluvian

Hitting the radio waves now...telling residents to find cover...wow thats a major escalation.

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. Was not expecting them to escalate like this. I thought we'd see some more smack talk but firing a missile over Japan? That's quite serious on its own but what if it had landed in Japan? Warhead or not.

I'm not so sure, I think Kim looked at Trumps line in the sand and called the bluff, just like what happened in Syria with Obama. They'll use the excuse that because the missiles were aimed in the ocean they're not going to do anything.

As much as I hate to quote the guy, even Bannon admits that there's no military solution to North Korea. We can defend against invasion, but the human toll is too high to counter attack. To say nothing of the financial cost, or even the political cost.

The only way a military solution with North Korea will work, is if China does the bulk of the fighting. And even then we're looking at 50 million dead.

Since no harm was done here, I think everyone will be content to effectively pretend that it didn't happen.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 07:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: RickyD
Well...one may be able to make a case that they have a right to test their missiles...even though they make a lot of threats which other countries do not when testing their munitions. However to fire a missile over another country without permission is by all means over the line. Their missiles have had a history of malfunctions and are not safe by any standards...I mean hell...one could make the case that this is an act of war!

It's definitely an act of war. But the US is already technically at war with North Korea, so that doesn't really change anything for us. Japan doesn't have an offensive army either (and barely any army for that matter... though they do have the SDF, I think it's called).

The problem is, the US doesn't want to invade. There is no benefit to us in doing so. It will create 50 million civilian deaths, cost us thousands of soldiers, cost untold trillions of dollars, and put us in charge of an area that hates us, and has no functioning economy or means to support themselves.

The best solution is for the Kim regime to go away, but failing that... there's not really a good alternative.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 07:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

a reply to: Nikola014

China has not only been taking it but allowing their people to ignore the sanctions against NK. Those sanctions that keep them from being able to buy equipment and tech to build these missiles and guidance systems. In fact the round of new sanctions passed off China when we sanctioned individuals and businesses in China for helping the NKians.

I was reading an article not to long ago that NK were getting the missile engines from Ukraine! Doesn't that make you want to go hmmmmmm?

That's one theory, and it's completely plausible. People forget, but the Ukraine was at one point a nuclear power and had their own delivery systems. The west convinced them to give them up, and then when nuclear deterrant would have really helped them, we turned our back on Ukraine and left them to Russia's mercy.

If they're acting out of a grudge, it's not like we didn't do our part to create it.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 08:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian
This is breaking so fast that it sounds like the missile might still be in there air. The first to announce it appears to be South Korea.

AP on Twitter:

BREAKING: South Korean news agency says North Korea has fired an unidentified missile.
5:23 PM - 28 Aug 2017

Looking for the Tweet from Japan.

EDIT:
Fox News - North Korea fires unidentified missile, reports say

North Korea fired an unidentified missile into the East Sea, South Korean media said on Monday.

South Korea's military said the missile was fired from Pyongyang and that it passed over Japan.

Published August 28, 2017
Fox News

This image made from video aired by North Korea's KRT on Saturday, Aug. 26, 2017, shows a photo of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, second right, speaks with officials during what Korean Central News Agency called a "target=striking contest" at unknown location in North Korea. (KRT via AP Video)

This image made from video aired by North Korea's KRT on Saturday, Aug. 26, 2017, shows a photo of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, second right, speaks with officials during what Korean Central News Agency called a "target=striking contest" at unknown location in North Korea. (KRT via AP Video)

North Korea fired an unidentified missile into the East Sea, South Korean media said on Monday.

South Korea's military said the missile was fired from Pyongyang and that it passed over Japan.

The move comes after North Korea fired three short-range missiles on Saturday -- all successful -- despite initial reports suggesting failure, according to the U.S. military.

Seoul's Joint Chiefs of Staff said the projectiles fired during the weekend from the North's eastern coast flew about 155 miles.

Are you scared? If so it looks like the media is working

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 08:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nikola014
a reply to: khnum

You know, this situation is so bloody complicated, that sometimes I'm glad I'm not in the skin of a world leader.

If you push a guy like Kim Jong Un just a little bit too much, he will snap. We pressure him just a bit too hard, he will go nuclear. And don't you think for one second that he's not going to fire back. And if we put him in that situation, a lot of innocent people are going to die, on both sides.

So, what's the right thing to do? How do you deal with someone who's intentionally provoking you, but at the same time, can hurt you? Don't know.

That's why we have to proceed with caution. I will go back to my beer, and let Trump and others deal with this

I think the exact opposite, I like politics, geopolitics, and so on. I would love to be sitting in a meeting discussing this. Away from the cameras, away from the partisian bull#. Just simply discussing what is in the nations best interest, and actually being pragmatic about this stuff.

The more that I think about it, the OK for action isn't going to come from China. I bet that if push came to shove, they wouldn't defend NK from an attack. Permission is going to come from South Korea who will ultimately have to take economic ownership for the North, as well as face 35 million deaths (70% of their population) in the North Korean offense/counter attack.

Nothing will ever happen to North Korea until the South ok's that exchange.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 08:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Chromium51

The possibility of escalation of hostilities doesn't alarm you?
It does me. There are millions of lives at stake.

The South's intelligence community said Monday the North appears all set to conduct a nuclear test at its Punggye-ri test site.

Yonhapnews Agency

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Seriously, what would happen if Japan retaliated while the missile had still been in the air?

I haven't paid much attention to Japan's defense capabilities, but I didn't think they had nukes, at least not in missile form. Am I wrong about that? Because if they had nukes, it seems they would be within their rights to counter-strike if they saw something in their air-space.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 08:27 PM
link   
According to YonHap, PM Abe of Japan and President Trump held an urgent discussion by phone about today's missile launch.

Source

There is no article at this link. Just a one-line mention. At the top of the page it also says that SK and the US will bring this up before the UN Security Council.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 08:28 PM
link   
It wasn't flying at the right altitude to indicate a nuclear strike.

If Japan had retaliated, there would have been a whole lot more missiles being exchanged between countries.

Japan did the right thing here. They looked at the trajectory, and let the missile run it's course instead of shooting it down.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 08:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: dianajune
According to YonHap, PM Abe of Japan and President Trump held an urgent discussion by phone about today's missile launch.

Source

There is no article at this link. Just a one-line mention. At the top of the page it also says that SK and the US will bring this up before the UN Security Council.

Bringing it before the UN Security Council doesn't mean much. Russia is going to veto anything, and even if they don't, it's highly unlikely that action will be authorized. The UN is rather toothless, and as I said before... SK doesn't want to solve this situation with military when that will kill 70% of their population.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 08:33 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

If it passed over Japan doesnt that means it could just really hits. Its serious now.

link   
a reply to: Aazadan

No it's not. If it was above the space line, which it was going by those numbers, then it never entered Japanese airspace.

link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

originally posted by: dianajune

Source

Bringing it before the UN Security Council doesn't mean much. Russia is going to veto anything, and even if they don't, it's highly unlikely that action will be authorized. The UN is rather toothless, and as I said before... SK doesn't want to solve this situation with military when that will kill 70% of their population.

Today's launch was provocative, and now they're saying that NK is about to conduct another nuke test. I agree that the UN is toothless, but I am concerned that the U.S. is as well, given that nothing but sanctions have been used thus far.

The last thing we need at this time (or any other for that matter, but especially now) is war at the same time as Hurricane Harvey and its aftermath. Perhaps this is why Kim ordered the launch and upcoming nuke test?

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 08:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

a reply to: Nikola014

China has not only been taking it but allowing their people to ignore the sanctions against NK. Those sanctions that keep them from being able to buy equipment and tech to build these missiles and guidance systems. In fact the round of new sanctions passed off China when we sanctioned individuals and businesses in China for helping the NKians.

I was reading an article not to long ago that NK were getting the missile engines from Ukraine! Doesn't that make you want to go hmmmmmm?

That's one theory, and it's completely plausible. People forget, but the Ukraine was at one point a nuclear power and had their own delivery systems. The west convinced them to give them up, and then when nuclear deterrant would have really helped them, we turned our back on Ukraine and left them to Russia's mercy.

If they're acting out of a grudge, it's not like we didn't do our part to create it.

As I read the story, the Ukraine was the principle source of rocket engines for the Soviet Union prior to the breakup of the Warsaw Pact.

The motors being used by NK are certainly the same type as those produced in the Ukrainian factory, but as they have been manufactured for decades in Russia as well as the Ukraine no one can say for certain where and when they were manufactured.

At least that was my take on it.
edit on 8/28/2017 by Montana because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 08:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Olivine
a reply to: Chromium51

The possibility of escalation of hostilities doesn't alarm you?
It does me. There are millions of lives at stake.

The South's intelligence community said Monday the North appears all set to conduct a nuclear test at its Punggye-ri test site.

Yonhapnews Agency

Doesn't alarm me one bit. Media sensationalism isn't going to take over my life. In my line of work we keep our submarine fleet in the highest level of readiness it can be at.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 08:48 PM
link   

SK doesn't want to solve this situation with military when that will kill 70% of their population.

They may not want to, but Seoul may be feeling pressured to.

Moon orders show of 'overwhelming' force against N. Korean provocation

Yonhap

Four South Korean F-15K fighter jets staged a live-bombing drill against North Korea's leadership on Tuesday in response to its latest ballistic missile launch, the Air Force announced. The aircraft dropped eight MK-84 bombs, each weighing about a ton, at a simulated target at the Pilseung Range in the eastern province of Gangwon.

Yonhapnews (again)

Lots of muscle flexing...

ETA:
@ Chromium51 Good to read, friend.
edit on 8/28/2017 by Olivine because: (no reason given)

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join