It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea Has Apparently Launched A Missile Over Japan

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 05:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Id rather they shoot the damn thing out of the sky its not as if the North Koreans dont know about their defense systems Im damn sure if it was Hawaii or Guam they'd blow the thing to kingdom come,actually this may in my unproffessional opinion been a wrong call to let it fly over.
edit on 28-8-2017 by khnum because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 05:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: Jonjonj

An airburst would occur much lower or it would have little to no effect.

Well we aren't getting all the details at the moment, right? Is there a report on the height it flew over? A reliable one I mean.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 05:52 PM
link   
a reply to: khnum

And they shoot it down, North Korea decides that's an act of war, and shooting starts. If the trajectory is stable and it's not coming near something, put the defenses on alert, warn people and watch.
edit on 8/28/2017 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 05:53 PM
link   

By much lower, I'm talking about a few hundred feet, max. An airburst weapon is designed to detonate just before it hits the ground.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 05:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Arnie123
China has already commissioned four JIN-class SSBNs. Each Jin-class SSBN has twelve missile tubes. Each missile can carry between two and eight warheads. We'll have to trust that the Navy hasn't lost track of their boomers.

As for their strategic ground-based systems, we can't guess at where their mobile missiles might be located at any given time. They'll be somewhere along the red line and the static points on this rather crude map. Making their launch facilities inoperable means they've pretty much got to be shaken like there was a major earthquake. You're only going to get that much effect with a ground burst. Where they've tunneled, there needs to even be some level of penetration.

I don't think there'd be a lot of harm in the general Chinese population. They'd probably all have to take thyroid meds after.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 05:54 PM
link   

How could it have been a wrong call, when nothing happened?
The Japanese actually made the right call

link   

originally posted by: icanteven
a reply to: theantediluvian

I wonder if it was intentional or a mistake?

I'm having flashbacks to the Day After movie. The visual of the first bomb (an EMP) exploding in the air haunts me to this day. It will start quietly and then suddenly.

Im with you.
I remember growing up in the 80s.

link   

I guess you have to weigh the probability it will detonate in the atmosphere to cause emp against it being a test. I wouldn't doubt that by now we have some inside guys there giving heads up on these things. Still though at some point this is going to come down to someone getting some shock and awe.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 05:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: khnum

Id rather they shoot the damn thing out of the sky its not as if the North Koreans dont know about their defense systems Im damn sure if it was Hawaii or Guam they'd blow the thing to kingdom come,actually this may in my unproffessional opinion been a wrong call to let it fly over.

Some are saying this is a bad idea because reasons. I believe they didn't shoot it/them down because they couldn't shoot it/them down, and the reasons they are using for not shooting it are to avoid public panic.
There is no guaranteed defence against an infalling hypersonic warhead, just hope.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 05:56 PM
link   

The act of war actually is shooting missiles over another nations sovereign territory and if such a missile is shot down its called 'defense'.I am not some State Department expert and am a rank amateur in military knowledge compared to yourself but I have dealt with a few nutcases in my time you dont embolden them.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 05:57 PM
link   
www.google.nl...[/url]

So they prepare for the next nuclear test.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Except that it wasn't a falling hypersonic warhead when it crossed Japan. Unless it was an ICBM, which they haven't said yet, then Aegis BMD would have an extremely high chance of killing it. In the phase of flight it was in over Japan, they might even be able to get an ICBM.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Except that it wasn't a falling hypersonic warhead when it crossed Japan. Unless it was an ICBM, which they haven't said yet, then Aegis BMD would have an extremely high chance of killing it. In the phase of flight it was in over Japan, they might even be able to get an ICBM.

We have no info Zaph, none!

Just reports of between 1 and 3 missiles crossing Japan, possibly sub launched, from all I am reading.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 05:59 PM
link   

So you're ok with South Korea getting hammered because their fired a missile over Japan that did no damage? Because that's what could happen if they shot it down and North Korea started shooting. Or, Japan can look the other way, and consult with allies and come up with a response to this.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 06:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tarzan the apeman.

originally posted by: introvert
a reply to: theantediluvian

What an idiot. At least it went over Japan and did not strike there.

Lil Kim may have just poked the bear a bit too much this time.

Can't recall any missile test from NK going over Japan. Perhaps I am wrong.

Just seen on the news that NK has fired 3 missiles over Japan. Last time was 2009.

Thanks for the info.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Ballistic missiles are just that, BALLISTIC. That means they go up, have a short period of level flight, depending on range to target, and they come down. They don't fly along at a low enough level that an airburst will cause all kinds of damage.

Japan has the resources to stop anything short of a terminal phase ICBM, and depending on the missile, I wouldn't put it past Aegis being able to hit it. Aegis can't hit an advanced ICBM, but an older, slower missile, maybe. If they chose not to shoot that means they weren't worried about it targeting them. Pissed about it going over them? Almost certainly. But they could have stopped just about anything that was going to hit them.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 06:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Ballistic missiles are just that, BALLISTIC. That means they go up, have a short period of level flight, depending on range to target, and they come down. They don't fly along at a low enough level that an airburst will cause all kinds of damage.

Japan has the resources to stop anything short of a terminal phase ICBM. If they chose not to shoot that means they weren't worried about it targeting them. Pissed about it going over them? Almost certainly. But they could have stopped just about anything that was going to hit them.

Good to have someone such as yourself around to give us proper perspective and expertise.

For what it's worth.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 06:08 PM
link   

NO BUT
1.naval blockades
2.sanctions
3.blocking electronic funds transfers
4.confiscating assets of Party officials
5.stopping non monetary aid and
6.not trade

If Japan wants to do the above I am fine with it.If North Korea started a war because of a missile intercept then hopefully there would be such an overwhelming response that the next sattelite photo of it shows up totally dark yes there will be some killed in the process but better now than when the lunatic there has ICBM/MIRV capability.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 06:10 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

The other time was 1998. 2009 was a failed attempt to launch a satellite into orbit.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Even if we did wipe them off the map, it would take time. And they have more artillery than the US has in our inventory pointed at the South. And a lot of it is dug in and extremely hard to kill. So by looking the other way, Japan is taking the smart path.

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join