It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Antifa Violence FINALLY Covered On MSNBC.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 04:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Arnie123

originally posted by: Gryphon66
a reply to: MisterSpock

All media is a business. Businesses sell what their customers want to hear.

In a similar fashion, all politicians are liars.
Not to the point of which it tells fake news and obscures stories.

Where have you been ... that's what media has been doing since the beginning of media.

Right, left, sideways ... media is a business.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

It doesn't matter. If the protest doesn't allow the work it isn't legal and not assured protection.

For instance crowd cheers so loud you can't hear a class.

It's the reason universities can reject the application.
It usually also works you have to have a student group sponsor the speaker or protestor.

My wife is a research professor. We have lived near campuses more than a decade.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Where have you been ... that's what media has been doing since the beginning of media.

I've been at home. This site has been great in dissecting news stories long before that though, in lieu of that, the question is, where have YOU been?

Social media has been great in picking apart the BS as well.
dailycaller.com...

Social media is a tool of enlightenment, as well as trickery.

edit on 28-8-2017 by Arnie123 because: heh

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 04:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Arnie123

Well, first of all ... I was interested in OP's statements not yours.

That said, I disagree with the OPINION article in the "Daily Californian" that you linked. Violence used as threat is not excusable. Defending one's self and others is, however.

Further, the paper also presented a dissenting view here: Daily Californian

White supremacists flocked to Berkeley, a sanctuary city famous for its liberal values. The fact that the supremacist ideology exists at all is repulsive, and the use of violence to defend such beliefs is even more vile. But the most visible resistance to such an abhorrent philosophy often manifests in counter-violence, further ingraining a stubborn righteousness into every point of view in the muddled equation.

Supremacists at the rally instigated the same kinds of over-the-top vicious tactics the alt-right criticizes Antifa for using, in turn demonstrating the hypocrisy that’s become normalized in American political polarization. The seemingly irreconcilable “sides” of the spectrum fail to understand that violence inflicted under the radicalized guise of “protecting free speech” or “protecting citizens from fascism” doesn’t just reflect poorly on their political platforms — it also perpetuates a cycle of fight after fight.

Again, you're trying to imply that everyone who stands up against Nazis and White Supremacists are all the same "ANTIFA."

That's not true; I believe you know that.

edit on 28-8-2017 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 04:54 PM
link   

I've been at home. This site has been great in dissecting news stories long before that though, in lieu of that, the question is, where have YOU been?

dailycaller.com...

If you believe that any media at any time has not a) been a business and b) fronting for someone's political agenda, then you haven't been paying attention to much on this site.

Social media is by and large opinion-based. Opinion is not fact. If you'd like to discuss how we can establish what facts are at this particular juncture, I'd be glad to do so ... as facts are few and far between these days.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 04:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

originally posted by: luthier

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
a reply to: luthier

What is funny is the free speech most people puff up about is completely meaningless. Yet the innovations of artifacts have been censored over the years and nobody protests that, or that conservatives can't balance a budget. They speak a with the sole purpose of saying bs that makes people mad.

It's so stupid. It's not like they are supressing Healthcare ideas or better tax methods.

The free speech debate has become a total sham in my opinion. Used by loudmouth who want some fame.

Not saying it isn't necessary but the left didn't do crap to destroy ideas being spread. The was a greedy bipartisan effort.

It is not a total sham, nor is the issue a partisan one. Censoring anything erodes democracy.

The debate and misuse of the first to have celebrity moments is not it's intent. It is unavoidable but let's not pretend important ideas are being supressed. If Ann Coulter can't use the shield from the first to sell more books on a Berkley campus I could care less. It's a business. They have the right to not want her there. It's a grey area but I just don't feel it's a problem. I just think idiots using free speech to become famous to make money saying stupid things is rediculous.

For instance these antifa people. Do they have the right to hold rallies on how to scam trump supporters? Can you protest in front of Jewish business to block commerce?

It's an issue like everything else that requires critical thinking.

A little critical thinking might show you that freedom of speech is not a 1-to-1 ratio with the first amendment. The first amendment protects free speech. They are not the same. Free speech is a principle that you either believe in or you don't. From what I can tell, you do not believe in it.

Really? Well the constitution gets interpreted by the courts. It also follows legal precedence.

I believe in free speech, I also have right to say the loudmouth using free speech are charlatans and are not using free speech they are misusing it.

Sure you can have a rally and pound trash cans about hating rich people or black people but, it's nonsense and anti constitutional ideas being used to profit in most cases.

So yeah I protect speech. It does have limits, when being used as a weapon. If you don't get that then oh well...

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 05:00 PM
link   

dailycaller.com...

If you believe that any media at any time has not a) been a business and b) fronting for someone's political agenda, then you haven't been paying attention to much on this site.

Social media is by and large opinion-based. Opinion is not fact. If you'd like to discuss how we can establish what facts are at this particular juncture, I'd be glad to do so ... as facts are few and far between these days.

Of course it isn't fact, opinions that is., but it provides direction and perspectives to issues people have a problem with, like calling out fake news.

The very fact of social media is making it possible for me and you to interact, its extensions are limitless and beyond "opinion". Yes, I believe media has, at some point, been an unbiased piece until recently.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 05:02 PM
link   

For example ... here's Thomas Jefferson:

The most effectual engines for [pacifying a nation] are the public papers... [A despotic] government always [keeps] a kind of standing army of newswriters who, without any regard to truth or to what should be like truth, [invent] and put into the papers whatever might serve the ministers. This suffices with the mass of the people who have no means of distinguishing the false from the true paragraphs of a newspaper.”

“I deplore... the putrid state into which our newspapers have passed and the malignity, the vulgarity, and mendacious spirit of those who write for them... These ordures are rapidly depraving the public taste and lessening its relish for sound food.”

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”

Source

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Claims of "fake news" are usually just another kind of dishonesty.

I'm not sure of your point that allowing us to interact takes us beyond the realm of opinion somehow. We are still interacting based on opinion for the most part.

Even Youtube videos are staged.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Fake news has been around for a while, got it.

But Jefferson and his constituents didn't have social media either. Now, with an online voice, we can challenge assertions made by those with biased agendas, you know, liberal and conservative news circles.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 05:10 PM
link   

But Jefferson and his constituents didn't have social media either. Now, with an online voice, we can challenge assertions made by those with biased agendas, you know, liberal and conservative news circles.

Good point. The rise of the internet has brought blessings and curses in about equal measure.

Their "social media" was a bit old fashioned for certain ... you know, books, letters, actual in person discussions, etc.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Weaponizing distrust in the media is a serious problem. It's what dictators do. Next step is jailing them. It's the fourth branch of government and yes it sucks as bad as the others.

Also using breitbart as state media and in general trying to create a state media through social media is another dictators tactic.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Breitbart isn't state ran media lol give me a break. Trump didn't weapon distrust in media, the media did that to themselves. We've been talking about fake media and the msm narrative here on Ats since waaaay before Trump. Just stop.
edit on 28-8-2017 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Good point. The rise of the internet has brought blessings and curses in about equal measure.

Their "social media" was a bit old fashioned for certain ... you know, books, letters, actual in person discussions, etc.

What people fail to see is the reason government sucks is yes we suck. Sure it's George Carlin of me say but it's true. America is very shallow right now and it shows.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 05:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wookiep

Breitbart isn't state ran media lol give me a break. Trump didn't weapon distrust in media, the media did that to themselves. We've been talking about fake media and the msm narrative here on Ats since waaaay before Trump. Just stop.

Well think a little bit of the difference in the president saying it vs us. I know your probably not capable of that bit very different things.

And yes he is whole heartedly supporting breitbart and supported by it. So just stop and get a clue. The guy is a conman like his father before him.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 05:18 PM
link   

What people fail to see is the reason government sucks is yes we suck. Sure it's George Carlin of me say but it's true. America is very shallow right now and it shows.
I'll extend the olive branch and agree to that statement, "America is very shallow right now and it shows." Thanks Social Media, a boon and curse.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 05:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wookiep

Agreed, this is what gets me. Even as a lurker, those on ATS were very wary about what was put on the news, we constantly challenged the narrative. This is why we preferred our corner here.

link   

I'll extend the olive branch and agree to that statement, "America is very shallow right now and it shows." Thanks Social Media, a boon and curse.

I will take it!

We need to get together and find our common threads anyhow. The bickering is useless in many cases.

link   

So if Obama preferred MSNBC over Fox would that make MSNBC the new state media while he was in office? You sound ridiculous.

link   

That is the beauty of free speech. You can criticize them to your heart's content, and likewise, they can do the same.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join