It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mini One 1.4 2008 Issue

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Hi guys, just want to see if anyone has had the same problem as us with this particular model or whether it is across the board with minis from 2007/2008.

Bought the Mini one around 3 years ago, the other half really wanted one but couldn't afford a new one so she opted for the 2008 1.4, with about 65k miles on the clock. Had no issues for a year then it Clunking as it started idling after coming to a halt. She told me, I took a look and there was no oil and no coolant in the system.

So put some oil in, coolant in etc, within a few days, coolant had gone again. Took it to the garage, and they replaced the thermostat and housing. Sorted.
A year later, it's happened again. Twice.
Long story short, is this a common fault or is there something we can do to stop the car destroying thermostat housings? Thanks.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 12:24 PM
link   
What kind of coolant is being used and what the thermostat housing is made of may be having a bad reaction. For example, when General Motors started using Dexcool coolant in their vehicles, for the first few years they went through gaskets like crazy because the Dexcool would eat up the material the gaskets were made of. Later, GM changed the material to be compatible with the new coolant.

It could be possible that you're using coolant that the manufacturer doesn't recommend, like the universal green stuff, or it may be that Mini used incompatible materials in the thermostat housing for their coolant. If you change the brand of coolant, then a complete flush will be needed to avoid reactions between different types of coolant. I know the universal stuff says you can mix it with any brand of coolant, but you can't. Otherwise, it may be possible to find an aftermarket thermostat housing that is made of a different material. Many manufacturers use plastic for thermostat housings now, and they don't hold up like a steel or aluminum one would.

Sorry I don't know anything specific for your issue, only things I've had experience with from various other vehicles.
edit on 28-8-2017 by Aldakoopa because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I'm at work at the moment so I couldn't check, but I would guess that the garage we have used (never again) would've fitted an aftermarket housing. It's a plastic one. But the coolant we have used is recommended by manufacturer. So it is a possibility that they are conflicting.. I think I will try and find out when I get home, thank you for the advice!

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 12:54 PM
link   
plastic housing should be fine.

I had a mini once- never again!
Completely done with "german engineering" after that one. And I thought the audi was a piece of junk...

If there was no oil AND no coolant, and it isn't going on the ground, then it's going through the engine. Head gasket would separate both of those fluids from the cylinders.
Check your oil cap- does it have sludge on the inside? If so, there's coolant getting into your oil.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 01:02 PM
link   
No, the coolant was going on the ground. Although I did spot some sludge on the oil cap. When I checked the other day, it was no longer there. I assumed there was no oil because it had burnt off over time.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Churchhousecreeper

How BMW have cheek to call it a Mini is beyond me. It is far to large.

The new range of " Mini's " are even bigger.

This is a " Real Mini "

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Have a good mechanic look at it. If your melting parts, it is getting too hot. Probably a bad radiator, or watetpump.

Waterpumps leak when they go out, any top side leaks will be obvious from the steam from the hood.

You can keep throwing covers on all day, and it wont help unless you get your temps down.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 11:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Churchhousecreeper

What you described is an overheating situation causing a head gasket or intake manifold gasket leak causing the coolant and oil to mix and leaking out of the engine or cooling lines. The noise at idle is lubricating oil no longer doing it's job due to mixing with water. It's a very bad situation if not caught right away. If the vehicle is still having issues, I recommend getting rid of it asap or you'll be rebuilding the engine. I am a mechanic of 18 years, not just a shady tree guy.

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Thanks Mandroid7 and Toolman18, I appreciate the advice, she is currently looking at selling it, just thought there may be a fix I wasn't aware of, but if it's the head gasket, then I am not going to entertain it. Haha

(post by JeoJohn removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

top topics

join