It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Well it looks like Harvey just ended Trump's wall

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 08:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: mobiusmale
a reply to: Krazysh0t

This storm will have no effect on the appropriations needed for the seed money for the wall (the initial $1.6 billion). It is more likely to affect where the new infrastructure money will be spent/prioritized.

Anyway, in the long run, Mexico is going to pay for the wall...by way of tariffs, entry fees and the like (remember, we are in the middle of renegotiating NAFTA)...so the down payment on the wall design(s) and building will just be a footnote.

Trump's threat to shut down the government is just his way of telling Congress to get their backsides in gear, and start getting his agenda items taken care of, or there will be political consequences.

Even with tariffs and entry fees, the American people will still pay for the wall. Who do you think will pay the added costs for goods? If a tariff is steep, it's likely goods from Mexico will still be cheaper than anything that could be manufactured in the U.S.

Shutting down the government consists of more than some office buildings going dark; Social Security checks will be delayed, costs will go up for providing government services in order to catch up after the shut down, and airports will be madness when the TSA is put on ice.

One could even make the argument that shutting down the government, when the costs have been accounted for and the debt ceiling adjusted to accommodate spending, as a dereliction of the president's duty in being the steward of government services.

edit on 28-8-2017 by icanteven because: typo

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 08:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Where is this money going to come from?

The same ether that all government spending comes from. U.S. Government spending is over $4 trillion...so this represents about .04%, a literal drop in the bucket.

Lol. You still believe this?

Lol. Yes. Trump is just not going to, publicly, rub it in on a daily basis while he weaves his web. Politically, the Mexicans can't make a declaration that they have agreed to pay for the wall...Trump will bake it in to the trade deal, and be able to say (despite Mexico's denial) that he made them pay.

Yeah, we know. That's why no one is taking his bluff seriously.

Yes they are...midterms (like winter) are coming...and primary challenges for uncooperative Republicans can be a scary prospect.

Republi can Approval of Congress

+3 more 
posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 08:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Christosterone

a reply to: Christosterone

We'll see. Methinks you have no clue what you are talking about, but you keep keeping on.

To what are you referring?
Be specific please and I don't speak millennial so avoid word use such as "methinks" if that's possible..
It's all clicks and whistles to me..

-Chris

Don't speak Millennial? Lol. Way to demonstrate your ignorance. Methinks is an archaic Old English word.

First Known Use: before 12th century

And this is one of the things I'm referring to.

An ever-expanding swath of cities and towns across Texas, already reeling from historic flooding in the wake of Hurricane Harvey, remained under siege Monday as forecasters warned of more pounding rain, rising rivers and floodwaters swallowing even more streets and neighborhoods.

Even as the storm had been blamed for several deaths, the full toll of the storm remained unclear. Officials warned that the danger was far from over, saying that the flooding in Texas is unlikely to recede quickly and that the storm will force more than 30,000 people from their homes. Federal officials, meanwhile, widened the emergency zone to Louisiana.

Only an idiot would think that Texas would be able to rebuild from this storm without federal assistance.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Are you saying that natural disasters have altered government spending in the past?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH!!

Wait. I have to catch my breath ...

Phew, OK now ...

If the government is going to spend on the wall, they'll spend on the wall. Notice I said government, not Trump.
edit on 28-8-2017 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 08:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: mobiusmale
The same ether that all government spending comes from. U.S. Government spending is over $4 trillion...so this represents about .04%, a literal drop in the bucket.

Magic tax math doesn't work forever.

Lol. Yes. Trump is just not going to, publicly, rub it in on a daily basis while he weaves his web. Politically, the Mexicans can't make a declaration that they have agreed to pay for the wall...Trump will bake it in to the trade deal, and be able to say (despite Mexico's denial) that he made them pay.

NAFTA isn't getting renegotiated. That would be incredibly dumb on our part and only make things worse for us. Mexico isn't going to pay for this wall and you are fooling yourself telling yourself these things.

Yes they are...midterms (like winter) are coming...and primary challenges for uncooperative Republicans can be a scary prospect.

Republi can Approval of Congress

Then that should tell you something. Because congress is still rebuking Trump regardless of their approval ratings.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 08:52 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

The point is that Trump lost the teeth to his "government shutdown bluff". Not that anyone believed he would do it anyways, but at this point it would destroy Trump's presidency if he shut the government down over the wall when all this federal assistance and relief is needed in Texas.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 08:53 AM
link   
a reply to: icanteven

Very true that Americans will end up paying more for goods made in Mexico, and shipped into the States.

In exactly the same way that fixing the "Free Trade" deals (making them into "Fair Trade" deals) will increase the average cost of goods in America. But, when foreign goods become more expensive, that means domestic goods become more competitive...and that means more good paying jobs in America, from which Americans can afford to pay for goods.

I think the majority of Americans would prefer to pay a little more for a widget out of the their wages, than to not be able to buy a widget at any price - because they can't afford anything more than rent and food from their welfare checks and food stamps.

Maybe I'm wrong...

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Only an idiot would think that Texas would be able to rebuild from this storm without federal assistance.

Aid that is coming from taxes collected in mostly blue states at that. You'd better thank Cali Tejas boy, I hope you're not one of the idiots wishing she'd leave the union.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 08:55 AM
link   
a reply to: mobiusmale

Did you know that Mexico got the shorter end of the stick in the NAFTA deal? NAFTA destroyed Mexico's agricultural economy because we forced them to buy our excess goods (it's why they turned to making illegal drugs). Do you also know that renegotiating NAFTA now that their economy just got back on its feet would literally pull the rug out from them again?

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 08:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: whargoul

Aid that is coming from taxes collected in mostly blue states at that. You'd better thank Cali Tejas boy, I hope you're not one of the idiots wishing she'd leave the union.

Are you talking to me? I don't live in Texas.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 08:58 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I feel like some people are missing the point. This doesn't have to do with allocation of funds. It has to do with the fact that this neuters Trump's threat of a government shutdown.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Yeah right and poor schools and nations worst Healthcare.

Your right though Rick and George sure loved the illegals building their boom towns. Gregg too but he was AG at the time pretending every builder in Austin, San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, waco, and the masses of ranch hands all over were not using masses of illegals. Wonder why they never cracked down on employers?

I moved out because the infrastructure couldn't keep up with the growth. Traffic is a nightmare in Houston, Austin, Dallas, and San Antonio. Austin is a disaster with traffic. It was bad in 99 when I moved as carpenter during a building boom.
edit on 28-8-2017 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Not only will there be no wall; thousands of Mexicans will be given green cards to come and work along the gulf coast fixing the damage and cleaning up the mess.

As a native Texan, I have seen the value of cheap labor from across the border. It's an established institution in Texas and as the owner of the family farm who do you think we hire as field hands? College kids???

edit on 28-8-2017 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 09:02 AM
link   

a reply to: network dude

The only thing I'm shedding tears over currently is the poor people struggling to get their lives back in order over the weekend.

Open that wallet and send some money to the Red Cross. Or you could volunteer some time to help the local red cross with supplies to take to them. Crying doesn't help anyone.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Who says I won't? Am I still not allowed to shed tears while doing it?

ETA: Here you go

edit on 28-8-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 09:07 AM
link   

So a storm allowing Trump to avoid the wall battle is a "win" for him? I'm not sure you and I have the same definition of "win".

I am betting that would include the same definition of a War Hero...

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 09:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
Not only will there be no wall; thousands of Mexicans will be given green cards to come and work along the gulf coast fixing the damage and cleaning up the mess.

As a native Texan, I have seen the value of cheap labor from across the border. It's an established institution in Texas.

The people who fall for the illegal crackdown gimmick have no idea the reality of the situation.

It's extremely simple..why don't people employing hundreds of illegals get popped regularly?

Hmmm..maybe because the immigration debate is a total farce.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 09:10 AM
link   

I appreciate that brainwashed attitude. But the people and charities on my FB asking for help from all 50 states, they are the ones who care about Texans old and children. This is not the time to feed egos.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 09:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: abeverage

So a storm allowing Trump to avoid the wall battle is a "win" for him? I'm not sure you and I have the same definition of "win".

I am betting that would include the same definition of a War Hero...

Well didn't you hear? Avoiding VD in college is Trump's 'Nam. That makes him a bonifide War Hero.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 09:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I have talked with most of the people I know about trumps wall(I live in Illinois) I have not heard one person speak against his plans for the wall. We are still wanting to see it built.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join