It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Well it looks like Harvey just ended Trump's wall

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+31 more 
posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Harvey, over the weekend, wrecked Texas. The clean up is predicted to take years and Congress is going to have to vote on federal aid to assist the state. Well this is happening right as Trump has threatened to shut the government down over getting funding for his wall. Well that bluff just got shot to hell. No reasonable person would agree to shutting down the government and potentially sidelining FEMA's relief efforts. Many in Congress agree.

Source

White House officials and GOP leaders were already taking stock of the challenge on Sunday, even as the floodwaters in Texas — and the eventual cost of recovery — were still rising. One senior White House official and GOP aides on Capitol Hill said late Sunday they expected to begin discussing an “emergency” package of funding soon to help with relief and rebuilding efforts, even if agreement as to the size of such a package remained premature.

During Sandy relief efforts Republicans demanded offsetting budget cuts to pay for those costs. This is definitely something that the Democrats will wave in their faces too, so it is unlikely that Trump has much ground left to stand to pitch his stupid wall.

Also likely to be a factor is the prevailing view among hard-line Republicans — notably during the debate about Hurricane Sandy — that aid packages should be offset by corresponding budget cuts. Democrats are sure to remind Republicans, particularly those from Texas who voted against the Sandy package, of their past stands.

But hey, it's Trump we are talking about. He isn't one to care about these details. I'll bet he'll barrel ahead with this regardless.

+57 more 
posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 07:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I'd say this is a win for Trump. No matter what he did with the wall, the idiot left would complain. he had a no win situation, as with most things he wants to do. I am starting to feel really bad for the left. If they ever pull their heads our of their asses long enough to find some leadership and a candidate who isn't a criminal, the abuse by those who didn't forget how Trump and his supporters were treated will be merciless and riotously so. They will think back to the good ole days of how nice the right was to Obama.

+52 more 
posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 07:56 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

So a storm allowing Trump to avoid the wall battle is a "win" for him? I'm not sure you and I have the same definition of "win".

+19 more 
posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Sure now when his mob base gets riled about him not building the wall he can blame the weather.

+13 more 
posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 08:06 AM
link   

This storm will have no effect on the appropriations needed for the seed money for the wall (the initial $1.6 billion). It is more likely to affect where the new infrastructure money will be spent/prioritized.

Anyway, in the long run, Mexico is going to pay for the wall...by way of tariffs, entry fees and the like (remember, we are in the middle of renegotiating NAFTA)...so the down payment on the wall design(s) and building will just be a footnote.

Trump's threat to shut down the government is just his way of telling Congress to get their backsides in gear, and start getting his agenda items taken care of, or there will be political consequences.

+34 more 
posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 08:10 AM
link   
I'm a 6th generation Texan...

We will have this cleaned up by Christmas...

Everyone on my street has kin affected..

The wall is going up come hell or high water [in Harvey's case]

-Chris

+27 more 
posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 08:11 AM
link   
FEMA is only BIG government when it helps a blue state. When it's a red state like Texas then socilism is okay!

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 08:12 AM
link   

I don't see this as a problem for Trump -- just the congress critters playing their partisan games. Trump is literally a Republican in name only. Even the Republicans know it and most hate him. Trump doesn't care about rules. Trump doesn't like rules. Especially the rules of Congress and/or political parties. Trump makes the rules up as he goes along. One rule for this instance... one rule for that... one rule for the other... and so on. Trump doesn't care. Trump's supporters don't care. He'll just find a way to tweak and twerk it and make it work for him.

+12 more 
posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 08:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

So a storm allowing Trump to avoid the wall battle is a "win" for him? I'm not sure you and I have the same definition of "win".

It's a win in that there is very little the left can legitimately shed tears over in this case. Be mad at a God they don't believe in, can't find a way to make this Trump's fault, so yea, a win in that Trump avoids the usual temper tantrum thrown by the children. But I do agree, the left has no idea what a "win" is really like.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 08:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: mobiusmale

This storm will have no effect on the appropriations needed for the seed money for the wall (the initial $1.6 billion). It is more likely to affect where the new infrastructure money will be spent/prioritized.

Anyway, in the long run, Mexico is going to pay for the wall...by way of tariffs, entry fees and the like (remember, we are in the middle of renegotiating NAFTA)...so the down payment on the wall design(s) and building will just be a footnote.

Trump's threat to shut down the government is just his way of telling Congress to get their backsides in gear, and start getting his agenda items taken care of, or there will be political consequences.

Hey how's the kool aide? Trump has about zero chance of strong arming congress. The vultures are circling as we speak.

Besides a wall goes both ways. Like north Korea. Can't get out.

By the way if he was serious he would have started jailing all the employers and confiscating their assets to pay for expanding the immigration courts.
edit on 28-8-2017 by luthier because: (no reason given)

+20 more 
posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 08:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Christosterone

The estimate of damage is over 50 billion. Private insurance cover about 2 percent of that , I heard on CNBC. Taxpayers will have to pay rest. Time to come back to the real world.

+7 more 
posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 08:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: luthier

Hey how's the kool aide? Trump has about zero chance of strong arming congress. The vultures are circling as we speak.

Besides a wall goes both ways. Like north Korea. Can't get out.

By the way if he was serious he would have started jailing all the employers and confiscating their assets to pay for expanding the immigration courts.

Nobody wants out of Texas..
Go Longhorns and long live the Republic of Texas, proud debtless child of America...

-Chris

+3 more 
posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Where is this money going to come from?

Lol. You still believe this?

Yeah, we know. That's why no one is taking his bluff seriously.

+7 more 
posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 08:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

That's cool. Trump just won't accomplish anything, because the government requires cooperation to get things through it. Being a renegade may be good to appeal to his base, but it is proving to be a rather ineffective governing method. It certainly won't help clean up the Harvey mess.

+8 more 
posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 08:20 AM
link   

The only thing I'm shedding tears over currently is the poor people struggling to get their lives back in order over the weekend.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 08:21 AM
link   
This is likely going to be viewed as a loss for Texan's, inasmuch as I think most of them would still prefer the wall be built over federal financial assistance in rebuilding their homes/towns/etc.

+6 more 
posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 08:23 AM
link   

a reply to: Boadicea

That's cool. Trump just won't accomplish anything, because the government requires cooperation to get things through it. Being a renegade may be good to appeal to his base, but it is proving to be a rather ineffective governing method. It certainly won't help clean up the Harvey mess.

Y'all don't get it...
We will do this ourselves...
A west Texas axiom my grandmother always said was to keep an open ear and open hand to anyone who needs help or offers it..

Remember when Japan dealt with the the tsunami??
They did it themselves...
Japan and Texas are born of the same honorable, self-reliant sensibilities...

-Chris

+5 more 
posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 08:24 AM
link   

We'll see. Methinks you have no clue what you are talking about, but you keep keeping on.
edit on 28-8-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 08:32 AM
link   

holy nonsensical batman!

ridiculous

+5 more 
posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 08:36 AM
link   

We'll see. Methinks you have no clue what you are talking about, but you keep keeping on.

To what are you referring?
Be specific please and I don't speak millennial so avoid word use such as "methinks" if that's possible..
It's all clicks and whistles to me..

-Chris

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join