It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GET OUT - 87 Percent Approval on Rotten Tomatoes - Spoilers - LMAO Where is the backlash?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 11:33 PM
link   
a reply to: WakeUpBeer
spoiler *************

at the beginning of the film i thought the same thing "oh great more race baiting bs, and all white people are racist" .

however i stuck with it, then realised the racial undertones was more to distract the viewer for the switch on the plot.

In reality the people paying for the operation chose to be black , they could have easily been white as one of the guest stated. however black is the new fab as stated by the guest.

however i agree with you and the movie could have been better without so much emphasis on racism, but still worth a watch.

also in regards to movie ratings i typically stay away from newer super high ratings such as 8+ on imbdb or below 5 rating. 5.5-7 appears to be the sweatspot

7.5+ typically means arty fartsy , super PC agenda driven (homosexuality,sexism, or white male bashing)

ha , just checked and imdb gave get out a 7.8 rating.[
edit on 43831America/ChicagoTue, 29 Aug 2017 23:43:04 -0500000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

edit on 44831America/ChicagoTue, 29 Aug 2017 23:44:06 -0500000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Thanks for the replies everyone.

To answer one question I read a couple times.

Yes, the cotton pickin' from the chair was not lost on me.

Also, I don't find it a "bait and switch", as on person put it. Into the plot seeming like it's about racism when instead it's somehow not. It still seems just as racist to me. But maybe it isn't because the white people in the movie didn't want slaves? I mean they wanted the black people for their *ahem* bodies, which they admired. So that made it okay? Lol. And don't forget a sliver of the original mind was left in the "sunken place" oppressed and no doubt tormented at being trapped.

Kept down by the white man, if you will.

It's definitely not the worst movie I've ever seen and I admit to getting upset for our main character. All that racism/odd admiration, the deceit, the helplessness! I just wanted him to kick some asses. I was pleased when he did, during the escape.

Maybe there is more to the movie than I realized. Maybe there isn't. I'm glad others could find deeper meanings and enjoyment in it though. To each their own.
edit on 9-2-2017 by WakeUpBeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Also, I don't find it a "bait and switch", as on person put it. Into the plot seeming like it's about racism when instead it's somehow not. It still seems just as racist to me. But maybe it isn't because the white people in the movie didn't want slaves? I mean they wanted the black people for their *ahem* bodies, which they admired. So that made it okay? Lol. And don't forget a sliver of the original mind was left in the "sunken place" oppressed and no doubt tormented at being trapped.

That's the "liberal racism" part that we've mentioned. There are a lot of angles on that which i don't really feel like touching. But one common complaint is that many white liberals seemingly only come around minorities when they want our votes or want us for entertainment (like music, new dances, sports, sex, drugs, etc). They still seemingly price us out of gentrification projects, still won't go to HBCU's, etc. But when they see us, they might go overboard with the praise and acknowledgment ("I would've voted for Obama again!" or Hillary Clinton's "I always carry hot sauce!"), so much so that it actually can come off as creepy, false, suspicious, etc.

I'm not saying that complaint/angle is completely true or false. I'm just pointing out that the movie threw a creative twist on that stereotype, by having them literally want our bodies and to be "black". That twist also played on a common but unspoken view that many of us minorities have sacrificed so much to try to get the things that white liberals take for granted; yet they were willing to throw it away to gain what society has often deemed "inferior". But they gained it by literally auctioning off and forcing the black people to become their physical vessels, meaning our bodies would do the work for them but their personalities/minds would get the credit.

Like I said before, the movie touches on so many things like that. If it were simpler and only touched on a few elements, I could see people criticizing it heavily because it would be easy to understand. But they crammed so many into one movie and did it in such ironic ways that it reached a point where it became hard to fully grasp. I'd probably need to watch it a few more times before I could really review the movie, much less criticize it for insensitivity.
edit on 2-9-2017 by enlightenedservant because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 09:29 PM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

I'm down to give it a second watch sometime, with a less cynical mind.

I like how you and others have described its deeper meanings and I'd like to go into it with a different perspective.

posted on Sep, 2 2017 @ 10:22 PM
link   

No problem. I don't normally care about movies unless I'm watching superhero movies w/my nephew. But my older brother pestered me about "Get Out" until I finally broke down.

I went into it thinking it would be a generic "family doesn't accept interracial dating" type of movie, then I noticed a few things that seemed "iffy", then "wait a second...", and then "bam!", and then "hmmm...", and then "oh really?", and then "hmmm...", etc. I didn't even know what to think about it because it was almost an overload of irony and stereotypes. So then I checked online and realized I'd still missed a lot of stuff.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join