It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boxing Isn't MMA Part 2

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: luthier

True about sport players.
Think of a regular ole jiu jitsu black belt. Gonna be nasty as hell. Now think of the competition black belt....no real comparison.
Same rank maybe but not the same level of skill. I'm sure its pretty much the same across the board.
edit on 28-8-2017 by TinySickTears because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 02:14 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Controlling your adrenaline dump, staying calm when fuzzy etc...all come with repetition in real situations.

I had a broken jaw for instance from a headbutt and finished the match. Not because I am such a stud but because I have been hot in the face so many times, had my ears ripped up etc.

Conversely being good at competition doesn't mean your good at the form or teaching either. SI it takes all kinds. Just the reality In my expirience is the 25,000 falls or more I have taken conditioned me to not panic and react something pinching pads doesn't teach.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 02:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears
a reply to: MagnaCarta2015

Please.
As a purple you damn well know you can pik, go to the seat, imimari roll etc and avoid all that striking

Yeah but not as a white belt one month in against a trained boxer. The first month of Jits all we did was shrimps, basic armbar and triangle from closed guard. Any white belt is gonna get their arse handed to em by somebody fully trained.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 02:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: MagnaCarta2015

originally posted by: TinySickTears

Please.
As a purple you damn well know you can pik, go to the seat, imimari roll etc and avoid all that striking

Yeah but not as a white belt one month in against a trained boxer. The first month of Jits all we did was shrimps, basic armbar and triangle from closed guard. Any white belt is gonna get their arse handed to em by somebody fully trained.

That is true.

Boxing is a sweet sport. Beautiful to watch bit requires quite a few perfect scenarios to be effective. One is in obstructed distance.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 02:23 PM
link   

There are more dangers than a knee when you shoot. Many strikers are comfortable at multible levels. One thing to watch out for with shooting is your setting yourself up for a neck break if you do it against somebody experienced or trained right.

Boxing is not the grail or pinnacle of striking. Its a sport. There are striking arts that are developed on battlefields that make short work of the shoot.

Again combatives and sport fighting are not even the same.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 02:25 PM
link   

I'm with you.
Shrimps and hip escapes for a long ass time.
Have to get the basics for sure.
1 month against a boxer is a stretch.

Let's say 1 year of solid jiu jitsu vs boxer...
I'm taking the grapler every time

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

OK I disagree. Hence why wrestler do very well in mma. Chances are you don't know how to shoot and have never faced an actual freestyle college level wrestler.

Sambo is a battlefield art. It's heavily grappling based. The situation of two people slugging it out or squaring off is very slim.

Believe what you want but the service isnt calling up Floyd Mayweather for seminars. They do call in bjj and grapples.
edit on 28-8-2017 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Yes does well in mma. And yes services do call in grapplers for instructionals. There are arts that have a much more combative form of grappling and striking that you dont find out in the open nor in the sports community and there services are interested in them too and do call in those intructors to teach. Heck some MCMAP instructors are studying some of these arts to incorporate into their programs at Pendleton right now. I know cause i train with them.

Heck one guy teaching one of these arts is actually personally teaching a MMA champion known for his high level brazilian juijitsu this art cause it beats the juijitsu and the guy was confounded.

MMA is not the pinnacle of grappling arts nor striking. Neither is college wrestling. Shoot fighting. Juijitsu nor sambo nor boxing.

There are purely combative arts out there that do what theyre designed to do very well even against chanpions.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

I disagree. I literally train with vets. I trained for years at a gym with Tim Kennedy.

If you think a conditioned champion grappler can't face an average soldier hand to hand your greatly mistaken.

Yes when your special forces or are taking extra interest and can do both its defiantly combat.

I trained Sambo for years. I would take it over any purely striking art any day.

The thing people often over inflate are these magical deat techniques. They all require a set up, which is impossible if the guy your facing moves better and has better gas. This is why prized grapplers are deadly. They already know what your doing by the way your moving. You have to be close enough and in position to make any move even gouging soft tissue work.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 02:52 PM
link   

No i dont think average soldiers nor special forces guys are particularly adept at combatives they get a general course and most often its a skill they dont need on the modern battlefield. I personally know a few special forces guys. They use general judo and juijitsu and basic boxing.

Im saying the guys they call in to give these soldiers a weekend seminar are exceptionally good at combatives. And yes their arts and methodologies do trump sport arts.

There are combative forms of striking and grappling the public nor the majority of the martial arts world are aware of and they come from many generations of soldiers starting from ancient time till today. Some of that stuff exists and it offers solutions many high ranking instructors from more common arts dont know about but are all, once exposed, equally interested in learning cause they see how it could take their skills and art to other levels.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 02:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: BASSPLYR

No i dont think average soldiers nor special forces guys are particularly adept at combatives they get a general course and most often its a skill they dont need on the modern battlefield. I personally know a few special forces guys. They use general judo and juijitsu and basic boxing.

Im saying the guys they call in to give these soldiers a weekend seminar are exceptionally good at combatives. And yes their arts and methodologies do trump sport arts.

There are combative forms of striking and grappling the public nor the majority of the martial arts world are aware of and they come from many generations of soldiers starting from ancient time till today. Some of that stuff exists and it offers solutions many high ranking instructors from more common arts dont know about but are all, once exposed, equally interested in learning cause they see how it could take their skills and art to other levels.

I disagree. I have never scene a magical death technique work against a champion grappler. Never, and they try all the time.

You have to be close enough and chances are he is a champion because of his mind and his movement. Any bjj black belt could kill someone easily. Heck in Sambo you cant even choke because it takes to long. You go for leg breaks first. The only thing in match you have to give a chance to tap. Going against many bodies and styles is way better than a technique at preparing you for battle.

The difference is you can't rep a death move, you hope it works. If you are capable of controlling your opponent and thinking ahead of him you win. That's what champions do best.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Mayweather would never step into a cage , probably not for any amount of money , but because he has a perfect and knows the if he were to go in the cage that would be gone .
Mcgregor did better than anyone expected and 10 rounds is 7 more than he is use to , think Mayweather could go for 20 rounds? Nope ,.
Brock Lesner showed no matter how big you are ,if you can't take a punch in the face you have no business in the cage, you are mms guys come into fights with black eyes because they hit each other while training .
Brock had a rule ....no hitting on the face .
Cain Velasquez knew that and took full advantage of it , Brock still has a scar on his face to remind him that you can be the biggest guy around , be as fast as he is , as strong as he is , a true world class wrestler , And If you can't take a punch in the face you need to stay in a scriped fight where you know what's coming.
And one last thing I was just wondering why in boxing is the champ allowed to turn down a fight ? In MMA the champ has to fight a certain amount of fights a year and doesn't get to pick his opponent.
Either way apples and oranges

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 05:42 PM
link   
it is apples to oranges... THAT was the point of both of these threads...

Boxing isn't MMA...

Why people constantly say "floyd wouldn't stand a chance in a cage" is beyond me!!

Why would he get himself beat up... hes not a Martial Artist... hes a boxer

And you people who keep saying floyd turned his back on conner... Did you actually see the fight?

Magregor got behind floyd... thats what happens as an MMA fighter... Floyds game plan was to go straight at him, which is not his style in any case...

Sure maybe magregor did better then was expected... but this was barely a real match!

He wouldn't have lasted 3 rounds in a real match against a top contender... and floyd barely punched in the first three rounds

it was meant to be a show for lots of cash... and thats exactly what it was... floyd barely broke a sweat... conner was dead on his feet.... it was a joke of a boxing match... a fight floyd couldn't lose... and magregor couldn't win

so again.... boxing isn't MMA

a cage fighter can not fight a boxing match with a pro.... and vice versa as we've seen with James Toni...

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 05:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

Well Andre Ward arguably the best boxer today says your wrong.

Both Nick and Nate could box mid level boxers tomorrow and be competitive.

youtu.be...

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Really?

where did he say such things?

Edit: Fair enough, he said they would do well at boxing... He didn't say they could be contenders

He did say they grew up in boxing... so the diaz boys have a background in boxing

edit on 28-8-2017 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Seriously I thought he rope a doped the entire fight after he was saved by the bell amd had his corner pouting incident

I understand it's legal in boxing, but he didn't square up until he gassed him out.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Just posted it

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 05:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: luthier

Just posted it

yup... and i edited

the diaz boys grew up in boxing... doesn't mean they could fight in a professional fight...

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 05:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mandroid7

Seriously I thought he rope a doped the entire fight after he was saved by the bell amd had his corner pouting incident

I understand it's legal in boxing, but he didn't square up until he gassed him out.

i noticed the same.

while totally legal and a legit strategy it would have been nice to seem him do what he said he was gonna do.
he said he was going to come forward right at him and he didnt.

again, totally legit strategy. totally within the rules but it would have been nice to see them actually have a fight you know.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 06:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mandroid7

that was his plan... mayweather can take a punch... in fact he's got his ass beat many times

He had no need to actually fight magregor and he knew it... dude threw 6 punches in the first round lol

that's not his style... guy knew exactly what he was doing...

i just found it funny that magregor actually thought he could win... maybe he didn't and it was really all about the money... He said it was an experience

and again, im positive their friends... which is lucky because he would have gotten hurt if they hated each other

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join