It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boxing Isn't MMA Part 2

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 04:21 AM
link   
This was always a debate since MMA started, but suddenly... then obvious happens...

because $$$$$$$$$

Once upon a time... UFC was style against style...

Kung fu master Vs Judo.. or what have you... there was even few sumo

Now its Mixed... a slurry of styles, usually based around wrestling, and close combat

it usually goes to the ground... and well... there's a lot of hugging

Then, theres Boxing

Part 1

edit on 28-8-2017 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 06:33 AM
link   
Well I still find MMA more exciting.. there are more action and vararity.. and they do not wear soft pillows on their hands

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 07:16 AM
link   
If it were an MMA fight then the MMA fighter would win against a boxer. Boxing is a very strategic sport despite what it looks like, and you cannot just assume you know how to box because you're an MMA fighter, or vice versa.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 07:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

McGregor went ten rounds and to his credit that's more than I expected. I figured 3 to 4.

Would you give mayweather a chance to go into the later rounds in an mma fight?

I doubt he would get out of the first round.

Apple's to oranges.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 08:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Akragon
This was always a debate since MMA started, but suddenly... then obvious happens...

because $$$$$$$$$

Once upon a time... UFC was style against style...

Kung fu master Vs Judo.. or what have you... there was even few sumo

Now its Mixed... a slurry of styles, usually based around wrestling, and close combat

it usually goes to the ground... and well... there's a lot of hugging

Then, theres Boxing

Part 1

That's funny because boxing has literal hugging mma uses grappling.

And by the way Floyd Mayweather would have lasted 30 seconds not 10 rounds in an mma fight.

Look at a guy like nate Diaz who literally is used for camps for Andre ward who is also a p4p boxing king.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Absolutely apples to oranges.

I practice both... traditional boxing and MMA (Muay Thai) Both have many similarities like foot movement and combo's. Both are strategic and take a lot of physical and mental endurance. MMA takes a bit more agility. Rule of thumb for both is to find and keep that tempo and that rhythm and when you're fighting, give it 100 % and when you rest, rest!

Some of the main differences: Boxing uses a variety of punches and combos, arms and hands only in hopes of a KO or to disable an opponent, or to win points. MMA uses a variety of techniques including arm and hand strikes, leg kicks, submission techniques and ground control.

MMA gloves are typically lighter at 4 ounces and more flexible, sometimes with exposed fingers which are important for take downs and submission techniques. MMA is usually a 3 round fight and 5 rounds for championship, each round lasting 3 minutes. Like boxing and MMA fighter can win with a KO or by points, but an MMA fighter can also win with a take down and/or submission technique.

Someone with a strong boxing background would have to train and acquire skills in take downs, leg kicks, ground control and submissions and he or she would have to get used to lighter gloves with more speed and longer rounds.

I prefer MMA... I feel it takes more skill and more overall physical and mental strength.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 08:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: ChaoticOrder
If it were an MMA fight then the MMA fighter would win against a boxer. Boxing is a very strategic sport despite what it looks like, and you cannot just assume you know how to box because you're an MMA fighter, or vice versa.

It depends. You surely can't assume you can step into a ring with a veteran. However, Conor would probably do pretty well against other novice boxers.

Someone like nate or nick Diaz could probably enter the middle ranks and do OK.

It's the experience that allows you the knowledge of efficiency in the framework. All in all 10 rounds is quite an achievement.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 08:34 AM
link   

I admire the old greats in boxing but it's a limited form of fighting and I can barely name any stars in the sport currently.

Mma is pure fighting and far more exciting because the numerous possibilities and zero limits.

If you call grappling hugging you don't understand mma.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 09:05 AM
link   

As a long time Mortal Kombat player I don't mind wailing on someone, but watching the erotic wrestling known as Jujistsu and roid raging thugs thumping their chests while they are on the canvas is completely different.

What's wrong with the good o'l fisticuffs? back in the day if you floored an opponent, he'd get up and shake hands, that's what it should be like but nowadays it's more theatrics then actual fighting, sure both men would kick my ass but they would probably be more likely to cuddle me to death which is the style of boxing these days.

If I knocked an opponent out, I'd help him up instead of peacocking and dance around the ring like an overcompensating douchebag. Boxing was once an honorable and dignified sport but now since this MMA and UFC came into fruition it's seems more WWE than actual left left right.

I've said this before but i'll put it in a different way-these MMA champions wouldn't be boasting if they were challenged by a ninjitsu or Kung fu adept. Those schools are scary.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 09:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

Well.... I don't know about that since MMA actually includes Kung Fu and Jujitsu... hence 'Mixed' martial arts.

Put a boxer in the ring with a Krav Maga black belt and the boxer doesn't have a chance. I don't care how good he or she is. If the MMA fighter was allowed to use all 8-limbs during a boxing match, the boxer would be done within seconds.

What is scary is someone taking a few kickboxing or MT classes and thinking he or she can fight. Couldn't be farther from the truth. It takes years to master these skills, sometimes a lifetime. As another poster said, anyone who thinks grappling is hugging doesn't have a clue about MMA.

The problem I have with boxing today is it's more about the show and the payoff than the actual art.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 11:29 AM
link   
1 month jits training>20 year boxer in a fight.

It's literally that unmatched.

Boxing is fun and all, but comparing the two is like bringing a knife to a tank fight.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 12:52 PM
link   

boxing 90% of the time boring as hell. No one really fights like that. Too many rules. Not enough blood. Too much dancing around.

MMA 50% of the time is boring as hell. But still a lot more action a lot less rules.

Floyd Mayweather wouldn't last 1 round in an MMA fight. I'll bet the 20 top MMA fighters could beat the # out of him in a MMA fight.

Boxing just isnt a showcase of man vs man. Way too many rules.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I train in both and love them equally. Bottom line is you need to be physically fit and mentally sharp to do either.

There is no best style, the guy who can force the other to play his game and impose his will wins.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 01:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mandroid7

Boxing is fun and all, but comparing the two is like bringing a knife to a tank fight.

I'm a purple belt under Ray Stevens by way of Roger Gracie and I can say with some certainty that's bullsh**t. Good luck eating those uppercuts on the way in.
edit on 28-8-2017 by MagnaCarta2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 01:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: MagnaCarta2015

originally posted by: Mandroid7

I'm a purple belt under Ray Stevens by way of Roger Gracie and I can say with some certainty that's bullsh**t. Good luck eating those uppercuts on the way in.

I have to disagree. The front kick alone goes strait through the boxing guard. And even bjj will teach that in a fighting situation.

As a former ncaa wrestler, Sambo player, black belt in judo, and a machado blue belt.

Two guys the same size I would bet on bjj. Even with a year vs a decade difference in the fighters.
edit on 28-8-2017 by luthier because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

You're hilarious.
You don't know what you're watching with jiu jitsu so its hugging....
Funny

Mma guy would struggle with a kung fu challenge? That's pretty funny

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 01:50 PM
link   
a reply to: MagnaCarta2015

Please.
As a purple you damn well know you can pik, go to the seat, imimari roll etc and avoid all that striking

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 01:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

Please.
As a purple you damn well know you can pik, go to the seat, imimari roll etc and avoid all that striking

Not to mention probably know how to throw half ass kicks or let the guy break his hand on your crown etc. As a bouncer I was always more concerned with people who could grapple. I never had a world class boxer come at me but taking a glancing blow and boxing a guy in isn't real difficult without a ref.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 01:56 PM
link   

I concure. Striking is very valid and boxers are excellent at it. Charge in on a boxer for a shoot and you may just get the john holmes treatment via uppercut.

Anybody regardles of how tough can get knocked out by a skilled boxer who has good range control and timing.

As for MMA being pure fighting with no limits. thats really incorrect. Just about everything you are drilled to do or would want to do in a combative setting is not allowed in MMA for a reason.

Combatives and sport fighting are often not interchangeable and are very different. Different training, mindset, technique and application. One is literally trying to kill you the other MMA is not and no its not inuitive in a sense that a boxer or MMA guy will naturally know lethal combatives. Sure they can bite gauge and elbow in a street fight with what they know about fighting from their respective arts. But there are art forms out there that are purely about the science and technical skills for immediatly killing and no they are not represented in any sport art and yes folks from the MMA have tried some of these arts via personal invitation from legit instructors in them and gone what the hell is this voodoo nothing i do works against this. Well of course not youre not training a combative youre training a sport. They are not interchangeable.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 02:04 PM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

Sport fighters generally train much more than self defence martial artists. Particularly against live opponents. I have let many of people try their death blow on me. After fighting in Sambo tournaments in Europe and Russia I can tell you strait up boxers do far worse generally against almost any other form.

When you shoot you change levels. The only danger is a knee. You would need to be on your knees to deliver an uppercut to an actual wrestlers shot, your also in wrestling taught to keep your hands up t fight hands so the chances of a one shot ko are far less than the take down.

edit on 28-8-2017 by luthier because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join