It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Clinton signed legislation to make Robert E. Lee day a holiday - WILL DEM LEADERS DISAVOW?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 07:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
a reply to: Irishhaf

The KKK was founded by a bunch of confederate veterans after the war ....

Also, ever heard of a little thing called Jim Crow laws? Yeah, not too many in the South spoke up against those - veterans or otherwise.

Yep I have heard about all of that, and considering how slanted the press is today why do you assume that everyone that may have spoken against it was given equal time in a much much much more limited information flow?

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 08:07 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Where did i say the North was full of saints? There are statues in the North that are also commemorating people who committed evil acts against minorities - and those statues are also being protested.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 08:09 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Got any links to support that "many" confederate veterans spoke out against slavery after the war?

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 08:14 AM
link   

I gotta believe that if there were any anti-KKK groups formed by former Conderate soldiers, it probably would have made the news, or at least would have made the history books later.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Books and news papers from the day.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Where did anyone say all were?

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Oh wait..no one said there weren't racists in the north. Most people were dumb enough to want to send the slaves to Africa. Kind of like releasing back to the wild. But these were U.S. born people who had no connection to African culture.
Even Lincoln played with the idea.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 08:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Deny Arrogance

People can change and evolve. While I don't think it was a good idea to honor Lee with a holiday, it's strange that the people on ATS who want to see Lee venerated on the same plane as the founding fathers, are upset with Clinton because of agreement with them at one time.

It goes to show that there are some people that can't be pleased.

And spare me some trope about hypocrisy. If we were to get into a pissing match over which party displays the most hypocrisy, we would be listing examples back and forth for years.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 08:27 AM
link   

How come that logic doesn't apply with Islamic terrorists today?

Don't you mean Muslims? Obviously terrorists are already terrorists. And in order for your question to make sense regarding all confederate= KKK it would have be all Muslims = terrorist
No?

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 08:29 AM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

Which is more likely ... every single person associated with the confederacy was a raging racist, (22 million people in the south in that time frame) or people were either afraid to speak out(various possible reasons), or they were not covered for much the same reason third parties do not get coverage in our elections?

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 08:37 AM
link   

So in other words, you have zero proof that "many" confederate soldiers changed and spoke out against slavery or oppression against blacks after the war, but I'm supposed to believe you, because, reasons.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 08:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme

Oh wait..no one said there weren't racists in the north. Most people were dumb enough to want to send the slaves to Africa. Kind of like releasing back to the wild. But these were U.S. born people who had no connection to African culture.
Even Lincoln played with the idea.

Releasing back to the wild?

Actually, Liberia was formed from the efforts of a group called the American Colonization Society, back in the day...

en.wikipedia.org...

edit on Mon, 28 Aug 2017 09:00:21 -0500 by JacKatMtn because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 09:30 AM
link   

I have just as much proof as you do...

If you use logic there is zero ways you should reach the conclusion that everybody that fought for the south was a died in the wool sheet wearing klucker.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 09:37 AM
link   

You were the one who made the claim that many confederate soldiers changed their stance about slavery and spoke out against it. Prove it.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 09:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

You were the one who made the claim that many confederate soldiers changed their stance about slavery and spoke out against it. Prove it.

How can you think all the soldiers were racist slave owners?

Most of them were just kids who never owned a slave in their lives and were fighting because it was a war and they had to.

These were still American boys who deserve a history.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 09:54 AM
link   

and you made blanket statements about them all being racists, where is your proof?

I gave every bit as much proof as you did.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 10:13 AM
link   
a reply to: notsure1

I didn't say all confederate soldiers were slave owners. I am saying there is no evidence that many confederate soldiers changed their stance regarding slavery after the war and spoke out against it.

I do have evidence, however, that the KKK was founded by some confederate war veterans, and I do have evidence that the South easily passed Jim Crow laws which further oppressed blacks after the war.

I'd say I have a lot more evidence of my claim than the poster I was responding to had regarding his/her claim.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 10:24 AM
link   

southern democrats passed those. be specific.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 10:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa

southern democrats passed those. be specific.

Yep. The same party that wanted more states rights, less federal government, and less taxes. Who does that sound like now?

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 10:27 AM
link   

well there was one called JBAKC aka: Armed Resistance Unit, Guerrilla Resistance, United Freedom Front, and the Revolutionary Fighting Group but they were shut down because the members were arrested for a string of terrorist bombings and other crimes...

they only lasted 20 years but were anti-kkk and anti-fascism, somehow or other antifa uses the same slogan as this group did too..

in case you didn't know...

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join