It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone feel like sharing easy healthy recipes?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Just hopped on the scale after realizing my stomach felt a little more, uh, glorious than usual. I had just about gotten to my ideal weight and got complacent. Looking for simple recipes that taste good, are filling and not a huge pain to make. One of the things that irks me is that many of the recipes I find require something I don't have, and I can't just buy a little bit of, or the thing will go bad before I want to use it again.

Not very picky, no food issues except I'm not huge on pork (bacon is fine, and wonderful), or seafood (because it's gross) unless you have something in mind that doesn't taste fishy or is so overpowered with spice it doesn't matter. Not opposed to vegetarian or vegan stuff.

Here's one I just found that looks pretty easy and good.

Serves: 4

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
3 tablespoons olive oil
6 cloves minced garlic
Pinch salt and pepper
1/3 cup honey
2 tablespoons whole grain Dijon mustard
Chopped fresh parsley
Crushed chili pepper (optional)
4 zucchini, sliced
1 pound (450g) grappe tomatoes, halved

Directions:

1. Pre-heat your oven to 400°F (200°C). Lay four 12×12 inch (30×30 cm) squares of foil out on a flat surface. Place zucchini slices, tomatoes in the middle of each piece of foil. Season with salt and pepper, then top with each chicken fillet. Season chicken with salt and pepper, to taste.

2. In a small bowl, combine olive oil, minced garlic, mustard, and honey. Divide the sauce over each chicken pack and sprinkle with crushed chili pepper and chopped parsley.

3. Fold the foil over the chicken and vegetables to close off the pack, pinch the ends together so the pack stays closed.

4. Transfer the packs to a baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and veggies are tender. Serve immediately and open carefully. Enjoy with an additional touch of parsley!

Love to grill, and chicken, vegetables and rice dropped me down to almost ideal weight in about a month, but I got sick of eating the same thing every night.

Link to recipe

Really appreciate any ideas!

edit on 2720170820171 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 11:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

I don't have a particular recipe.

But some rules of thumbs for me are as follow.

Vegetables should be aldente as not to cook the nutrients out.

Any fat cooking with should be olive oil or butter. Many nuts would disagree, but they are natural fats that our ancestors have been consuming for centuries and are easier digested than higher processed equivalents.

Lots of garlic, it's good for you and it tastes great!

Health is simpcity and minimalist.

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Chocolate chip cookies are healthy

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 11:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
Chocolate chip cookies are healthy

Happiness is healthy. Finding a sustainable lifestyle that promotes good health with healthy moderation is key.

To many people do such specialized diets only to quit them, resulting in vast dietary differences.

Its important to find a system you can keep for life.

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 11:45 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Stop that you!

Luckily I don't have much of a sweet tooth.

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 11:54 PM
link   
i'm not much of a cook, but i've been reading this for inspiration:
Good & Cheap-Leanne Brown

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 11:55 PM
link   
it`s not about what you eat or how much you eat it`s ALL about how much physical activity you get.

don`t worry about what you eat or how much you eat worry about what you do and how much you do it.

if you sit on your ass and you do it for 16 hours a day then eating a head lettuce everyday will make you fat.
if you cut down trees and do it for 16 hours a day,eating a 7 course meal everyday won`t make you fat.

there`s only 2 ways to lose weight, eat less or burn more calories.

I`m really lucky in that I need to keep mind occupied and staring at the T.V, or the computer, or the walls doesn`t occupy my mind I need to get out and do things so I get a lot of physical activity.

edit on 27-8-2017 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-8-2017 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-8-2017 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 12:10 AM
link   
A bunch of healthy, delicious, widely varied, and fairly easy recipe ideas on this site...

Daily Dose Of Pepper

We've made lots of these recipes for our family. Plenty of ideas for every meal of the day :-)

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 12:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Tardacus

Losing weight is about 90% calorie restriction, and losing weight isn't really the point of the thread, i probably should have made that more clear. I want recipes that are easy that aren't just grill a bunch of hamburgers.

The time spent trying to lose weight through exercise alone is ridiculous if you compare it to cutting out calories throughout the day. Granted, if I maintained the same diet and was able to chop down trees for 8 hours a day I would lose weight. I get a fair amount of exercise, but again keep going from healthy eating to fast food because cooking something for an hour seems like a pain in the ass.

You can be completely sedentary and not be fat if you are eating correctly. You can also be morbidly obese if you exercise for hours a day and don't restrict calories.

I like the old adage that you can't outrun your fork. You really can't.

Anyway, I just want to make delicious food that doesn't contribute to expanding man titty syndrome and doesn't break the bank or take a ridiculous amount of prep time.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 12:22 AM
link   
a reply to: M4nWithNoN4me

AWESOME! Thanks. I need to get a new crock pot.

I actually made bacon Alfredo pasta last night with mixed vegetables! Freaking good. Saw it was one of the recipes there.

The pepper reminded me that tonight we're doing bell pepper pizza. I might take a picture if I remember. Not great for you, but easy and better than ordering one.

-----

Speaking of bell pepper, this is one of my new favorite snacks, and while it may not be perfect, it sure beats a hot pocket or bag of chips.

Slice up bell pepper, dip in hummus. I also like onion dips or artichoke dip but some people are against onions. Because they are crazy.

Bell peppers are awesome! Stuffed bell pepper, bell pepper pizza, bell pepper as a dip, they taste great and are relatively cheap. They also seem filling, I'm guessing since there is most likely high water and fiber content.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 12:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tardacus
it`s not about what you eat or how much you eat it`s ALL about how much physical activity you get.

don`t worry about what you eat or how much you eat worry about what you do and how much you do it.

if you sit on your ass and you do it for 16 hours a day then eating a head lettuce everyday will make you fat.
if you cut down trees and do it for 16 hours a day,eating a 7 course meal everyday won`t make you fat.

there`s only 2 ways to lose weight, eat less or burn more calories.

I`m really lucky in that I need to keep mind occupied and staring at the T.V, or the computer, or the walls doesn`t occupy my mind I need to get out and do things so I get a lot of physical activity.

This is true.

Even moreso if you're a male. Though they work in conjunction, exercise goes so much further than diet.

For most men 18-65 the exercise/diet ratio factors in somewhere around 75%/25%.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 01:29 AM
link   
I did have a long reply typed in but thought when it comes to diet everyone is a expert and a majority of people will never change their habits..

Vegan Pizza was my saviour from a massive junk food addiction,

watch the new documentary "What the health", it is starting to go viral and has a very good reputation on the critic sites.

It may give you a true insight into healthy eating and why a majority of diet advice is total horse sh#t...

I went from 4 stone overweight and well on my way to heart failure to becoming a ultra fit endurance athlete all with diet change and a good excercise plan..

There is always someone that lost 10 stone eating KFC or Bacon and playing videos games and that's great but there is a tried and tested route that works but you need to cut through the dis info. Long and short a majority of the diet choices that we eat in the west is the reason for the obesity epidemic, Look at Asia for what once was a healthy region that is adopting western food to see the outcome.

RA

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 03:04 AM
link   
a reply to: AgarthaSeed

I would say pretty much EVERYONE disagrees with that.

Losing weight is calories in, calories out.

It's way easier to cut out 500 calories a day from food than burning them via exercise.

Running on a treadmill at a 10:00-per-mile pace for 45 minutes burns approximately 500 calories for a 140-pound person. If you then go home and eat two slices of a fourteen-inch, regular crust pepperoni pizza, you'll consume 596 calories. Train for 45 minutes and ruin that with ten minutes of pizza eating.

I can't run a 10 minute mile but I can easily fix something for dinner with half the calories I would normally consume, easily dropping 500 calories from my diet. Calorie restriction is the fastest way to lose weight. Not saying it makes you as healthy as you would be if you exercised for an hour a day too, but the calorie restriction is a lot more bang for your buck.

Ideally you do both, but for real weight loss the answer is cutting back on food. You of course should be exercising, and strength training and cardio will of course help with weight loss. It's going to take WAY longer if you just rely on exercise though and don't change your diet.

I'm almost 100% sure I'm right, but will gladly review any sources you have that claim exercise is more important for weight loss than diet.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 03:12 AM
link   

Muscle burns fat.

In other words.. Working out, builds muscles. Muscles have cell memories. Muscles will burn fat which you will begin to notice within 6 weeks.
edit on 28-8-2017 by Blender5L because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 03:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Blender5L

Great. I know. Read the thread. I wanted recipes. I don't get why this is so hard for some folks.

Sorry, getting frustrated by all the responses that clearly don't take the OP into consideration. I know you're trying to help, just bothered this thread has gone to complete crap because I apparently wasn't clear enough.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 04:09 AM
link   

It happens to the best of us, i didn't even get one flag on my very first thread.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 04:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Blender5L

I don't care about flags, I WANT RECIPES!

I'll go give you a flag on your first thread. Unless it's just terrible.

EDIT: Good thread.
edit on 2820170820171 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 04:27 AM
link   

Thanks man

Here's a few recipes for you.

Google is my friend, most of the time haha.

www.eatthis.com...

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 04:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1
a reply to: AgarthaSeed

I would say pretty much EVERYONE disagrees with that.

Losing weight is calories in, calories out.

It's way easier to cut out 500 calories a day from food than burning them via exercise.

Running on a treadmill at a 10:00-per-mile pace for 45 minutes burns approximately 500 calories for a 140-pound person. If you then go home and eat two slices of a fourteen-inch, regular crust pepperoni pizza, you'll consume 596 calories. Train for 45 minutes and ruin that with ten minutes of pizza eating.

I can't run a 10 minute mile but I can easily fix something for dinner with half the calories I would normally consume, easily dropping 500 calories from my diet. Calorie restriction is the fastest way to lose weight. Not saying it makes you as healthy as you would be if you exercised for an hour a day too, but the calorie restriction is a lot more bang for your buck.

Ideally you do both, but for real weight loss the answer is cutting back on food. You of course should be exercising, and strength training and cardio will of course help with weight loss. It's going to take WAY longer if you just rely on exercise though and don't change your diet.

I'm almost 100% sure I'm right, but will gladly review any sources you have that claim exercise is more important for weight loss than diet.

I'm also basing my opinion on personal experience. Training regularly raises your metabolism on a steady basis. It stays elevated even at sedentary times.

Your pizza equation may be true, but only for someone that doesn't work out AT ALL, then jumps on a treadmill.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 05:00 AM
link   

If your picky tastebuds can stomach them....salmon fillets splashed with olive oil and seasoned with a little salt and plenty of black pepper. Put them in oversized foil parcels and pop in the oven on a low heat for 15. They are amazing served with asparagus tips, but green beans work just as well. The salmon is versatile because it can also stand a splash of Tabasco, Five Spice or simply add lemon. Add a side of flavoursome rice and you've got a healthy, quick and very tasty meal (that can keep too minus asparagus).

Good for a post-workout meal because it's light on calories and high on the protein with the right amount of carbs. That's as long as your gym or workout is close to home. Quick, quick and no hassle is a good game-plan.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join