It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question for Youtube Viewers on the left.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Hello left leaning fellow ATS users! With all the chat about monetization (what's the proper word? I'm getting spell checked) issues regarding Youtube I am left with a question. Are left leaning Youtube channels you follow having the same issue with being flagged while none of the content in the video is deserving?

I have it impressed upon me that it seems to be directed toward the right. Considering that is the circle I dwell in, I am assuming it's just an information bubble I am in. I just wanted to know if you guys have been seeing the same thing over on your end?

Regardless if you've seen this kinds of stuff on your side too or not a reply is requested.

PS Love you guys, F the radicals on all sides.
edit on 27-8-2017 by Antipathy17 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 12:44 PM
link   
They've been doing this for ages, especially since the Cosmic Panda:

www.dailydot.com...

www.forbes.com...

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

I know they have been doing ti for ages. It's become a problems as of late since they've made some changes. I don't know if a link for 2012 would be the most relevant but i'll take a look at both articles when I get some more free time.

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 02:46 PM
link   
My best guess would be that these measures are more business oriented instead of political.
Google is concerned that companies will no longer advertise on youtube when they don't censor what could possibly be regarded as offensive.

Google couldn't care less about content on youtube, they're just trying sell more ads

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Jubei42

Easy way to cover their agenda if you ask me. People lap that 'reason' up

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 02:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jubei42
My best guess would be that these measures are more business oriented instead of political.
Google is concerned that companies will no longer advertise on youtube when they don't censor what could possibly be regarded as offensive.

Google couldn't care less about content on youtube, they're just trying sell more ads

I don't know though, hasn't there been evidence of Google itself trying to change search results along political lines?

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 02:56 PM
link   
"Money talks, bs walks"
is what none of you want to hear

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 04:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Antipathy17

Yes ...

It's big with all the content creators even those not political.

I watch a couple comic book and gaming channels that complained about it as well...

But hey, why let the chance for some good propaganda to slip , when you could pretend it is all part of the liberal agenda to make the GOP look bad...

I really think you should be praised to the highest extent for actualy asking around and figuring out the scoop yourself. Rather than just taking whatever talking heads word for it...

So few are willing to do that kinda thing

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Again I would like to praise you for actually looking into the subject, instead of just buying whatever propaganda..

I feel like you are a unicorn or dragon... some unique miracle worth protecting lol...

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 06:24 PM
link   
I rarely watch political videos on YouTube. But I'm responding because I've noticed fewer ads pre-rolling before most videos, even those made by people with a lot of followers.

No company wants to be the one that advertises a Swiffer or whatever before some Nazi rants about cleansing society. My guess is that advertisers are being more specific about videos where their ads can show up.

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 07:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Jubei42

This is what I am hoping. I watch leftist media and rightwing media picking on the extreme side of things. I just haven't heard anything out of the channels that I watch that are left leaning so I wanted to ask to try and gauge it. I know the results would be tainted but I guess I am trying to see any proof of this happening to the left. If it's not true, my assumptions will be rightfully blown apart.

-------

originally posted by: icanteven
I rarely watch political videos on YouTube. But I'm responding because I've noticed fewer ads pre-rolling before most videos, even those made by people with a lot of followers.

No company wants to be the one that advertises a Swiffer or whatever before some Nazi rants about cleansing society. My guess is that advertisers are being more specific about videos where their ads can show up.

I agree and understand. The algorithm is blanketing over a bunch of undeserving channels though and at least needs to be adjusted.

------

originally posted by: JoshuaCox

Yes ...

It's big with all the content creators even those not political.

I watch a couple comic book and gaming channels that complained about it as well...

But hey, why let the chance for some good propaganda to slip , when you could pretend it is all part of the liberal agenda to make the GOP look bad...

I really think you should be praised to the highest extent for actualy asking around and figuring out the scoop yourself. Rather than just taking whatever talking heads word for it...

So few are willing to do that kinda thing

Thank you for your informative reply and the compliment. LOOK MOM I'M A UNICORN! Oh wait, you mentioned dragon as well. I take it back! LOOK MOM I'M A DRAGON!

------

originally posted by: stormcell
They've been doing this for ages, especially since the Cosmic Panda:

www.dailydot.com...

www.forbes.com...

Reading a bit of the article brought a few more questions into my head. Are advertisers abusing YT's advertising friendliness. Is there any collusion. I know it's a bit of a fringe question to ask but people are people. I have it impressed upon me that it's easier for corrupt minded people to get into such positions of power, weather it's politics or corporate.
edit on 27-8-2017 by Antipathy17 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 06:20 AM
link   

I watch YouTube, and many of the channels I like have had to resort to things like Patreon and other similar methods, to make any kind of money at all, even to recoup the cost of producing whatever it is they make.

Its also worth pointing out, that because left wing does not mean what most people think it means, and most certainly does not mean what anyone who self describes as right wing thinks it means, you will often find that lefties, like myself, have viewing habits you would not expect.

For example, two of my favourite channels on YouTube are Forgotten Weapons, and Wranglerstar. Neither one could be described as left wing, but I enjoy them very much. Forgotten Weapons is a historical source of some considerable note, as well as being interesting to anyone of the engineering persuasion, because one gets to see old guns and gear stripped down to the components, so that one can understand better their operation. Wranglerstar is a homesteader and a wildland firefighter, who seems to do most things for himself, and is teaching his son how to do them also, with the support of his wife. He has videos which range from product reviews, to instructional videos on tool use and maintenance, building things, demolishing things, and so on and so forth. All very interesting, informative stuff, but not necessarily anything like aligned with my politics, in terms of his opinions on matters outside his immediate experience.

My politics rarely impacts my YouTube use. However, one thing I do not appreciate, is YouTube attacking people like gun rights advocates, advocates for out door and sustainable, off grid living, and other matters besides, in the same manner they attack actual fascists. Fascists should have their face meat ripped off and then be dipped head first in salt, not for any other reason than to seriously piss them off as punishment for being enemies of humanity. However, there is no reason to treat someone who simply wants his second amendment rights protected, or someone who curses alot, or someone who has a view not in keeping with the capitalist model, the same treatment which is only justly applied to hate preachers.

By all means peel some fascists, but leave everyone else alone for crying out loud!

Interestingly enough, one of my favourite channels, InRangeTv, (another weapons related channel, featuring Ian, from Forgotten Weapons), has demonetised ITSELF! That's right! In a twist of events, InRangeTV has decided to demonetise itself, removing itself from the Adsense service entirely, which prevents the monetisation of any of their videos, either for their benefit or anyone elses. That channel has moved to an exclusively Patreon backed model now, and seems to be getting on rather well with that. Their reasons for doing so, despite being a gun channel which advocates for firearms rights, is that they do not want their message being affected by corporatism, which is, shock horror, a totally legitimate and fair call!

See! They like their gun rights AND want to screw the corporations! Now, as Republican minded as these chaps may be, I cannot fault them for having a correct response to corporate interference in the freedom of their expression.

top topics

join