It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boxing isn't MMA

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 10:02 PM
link   
That was the first vid I've seen of the fight, thx for posting. Mayweather really played him hardcore and then proceeded to hand him his a$$. He certainly has a lightning fast right for an old man in the late rounds.
Kudos to him.

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 10:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7

When he was laughing?

You seem to have a pretty poor view of boxing, I'm thinking you've never done any of it, despite what you say.

There's a reason ESPN ranked boxing the most difficult sport. There's a reason why MMA guys all do at least basic boxing, it teaches you a TON of stuff. Of course someone with more in their arsenal than just boxing is going to do better, but discounting boxing as an old man's sport just makes you look foolish.

-----

McGregor did better than I thought he would. I also am pretty positive Mayweather could have ended it way sooner, but he promised a show, and he wanted to deliver.

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 11:01 PM
link   
I'm glad Mayweather won. Had McGregor won, the amount of UFC MMA trolls would of made the fight world a sad place. The fight was purposely dragged out to make money, Mayweather was in control the whole time. At least it was entertaining.

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Boxing matches are ALWAYS a let down. So much hype and money. Everyone always disappointed.

MMA is 100 times more entertaining to watch and realistic.

Who gets in a real fight and says ok, no kicking, no knees, no elbows, no go getting behind your opponent...

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 12:00 AM
link   
a reply to: booyakasha

It's a sport. It's never claimed to be MMA.

Who gets in a real fight and says ok, no kicking, no knees, no elbows, no go getting behind your opponent...

It's not a real fight... Doesn't claim to be. Neither is MMA for that matter. MMA has rules too. If I got in a real fight I wouldn't hesitate to gouge eyes or bite if someone was on top of me.

Boxing has gotten pretty lame, at least the pro fights. Go watch some old fights though, they were amazing.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 12:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

OK. You know annoys me? Someone who clearly knows nothing on a matter and still talks about it. I'm fine with someone chatting. But blood lust?haha ok. Let's break this down for you.

Before we continue, boxing is more dangerous to a fighter, they use much heavier gloves to allow multiple hits to the face before usually getting KO'd. Mma gloves are much safer because they allow for smaller hitting area, resulting in more accuracy in areas (chin, temple, KO areas)

Mma is more tachnical than boxing. Simply put, it features bjj, which is one of, if not the hardest and most technical martial art out there.

And to answer your question.haha.
There are fighters in UFC with typical eastern style martial arts.
What style is too dangerous?haha its more a case that most know now that each style will hel poo in certain aspects and hinder in others. Most eastern styles are typically flawed when compared to others, that's not to say that they can't work...it's like this, mauy Thai will usually beat someone standing than say, I dunno, kung fu. Bjj and wresting will usually be better in most regards than say judo on ground. That includes take downs.

Mma is taking any advanced martial arts, and taking its strengths and using another to counter that flaw, and make an overall better fighter.

It's nothing to do with humble or arrogance. That's in everything. Most UFC fighters would literally run through any eastern martial artist master. YouTube it, you'll see typical martial art fighters vs Mma fighters.

You know nothing about Mma and yet talk bad and make out like you know a lot.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 12:48 AM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

Yep. He hasn't a clue.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 02:51 AM
link   
Ladies... please read the title of this thread

I shall reiterate... Boxing Isn't MMA

talking about Floyd getting owned in MMA is just riiculous... He doesn't know how to throw a kick, or graple...

He is a boxer... please refer to the title of the thread...

Boxing isn't trying to rip a guy's arm off or dislocate it... let alone break it

You can't spin around and grab your opponent from behind like conner did... that is what he's used to...

Boxers don't try to get behind their opponent... its face to face... toe to toe... and just so you know, when you actually turn your back in a boxing match, you get punched in the face... from experience.

You learn that fast in boxing.

fact remains... this was a set up... a real fight, sure... but it was about money, not IF conner could actually win...

and they're friends...

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 04:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

I shall reiterate... Boxing Isn't MMA

Well how am I supposed to wag my dick around after watching a few MMA fights and learning that grappling is a thing!?

You can't spin around and grab your opponent from behind like conner did... that is what he's used to...

Clearly because I'm 17 and boxing is an old guy sport and they can't handle that kinda thing

Boxing isn't trying to rip a guy's arm off or dislocate it... let alone break it

Super lame, when I play Call Of Duty there are no rules!!!

Boxers don't try to get behind their opponent... its face to face... toe to toe... and just so you know, when you actually turn your back in a boxing match, you get punched in the face... from experience.

OMG, in MMA there aren't rules!!! You can totally jab eyes and jam your finger up the other guy's bottom if you get behind him!

You learn that fast in boxing.

You learn nothing from boxing. Nobody in MMA trains boxing. Screw punching and body movement, timing and distance, rhythm and speed, power and footwork. You can totally go into the ring if you just know bjj (or apparently jitsu) and dominate. Like Rhonda! Now let e butcher spelling Mwai Thigh! Totally a black belt in all of this, and I know Aikido so watch it kid.

-----

fact remains... this was a set up... a real fight, sure... but it was about money, not IF conner could actually win...

I figured it was a money grab from the get go. I mean it was blatantly obvious. Deep down I held out hope that McGreggor would land some devastating blow, but I doubted it would happen, even if it was possible (wasn't if it was a fair fight and i'm pretty sure this was just a spectacle). Don't like McGeggor much, but REALLY dislike Mayweather. That being said, I respect him. He's an incredible boxer.

Like you said, boxing isn't MMA. Boxing is it's own sport. Mayweather has been in that sport since he was born, he knows the rules, he knows how to analyze an opponent and keep himself safe for a few rounds, and he knows how to save energy. he also knows how to give a good show when he's completely underwhelmed by an opponent, and that's what we saw. His "terrible" boxing was showmanship. I'd still love to hit him, but he made this fight enjoyable BECAUSE he held back. I think the guy is probably a complete idiot in most ways, but he's a genius boxer, and despite what the morons that grew up on MMA say, boxing is chess. You have to know a little about boxing to appreciate it, the more you know, the more you appreciate it. MMA is awesome, the fighters are impressive, but it's never going to be regarded as an art. Boxing is an art.

The folks complaining about the rules in boxing just don't get it. That's what makes it so impressive. The discipline and focusing that killer instinct and only using your hands...

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 04:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Iostsheep

I'm English fella, couldn't give a flying crap about what Congress spends. I know the risks boxers take, I know a few, a lad I went to school with is an MMA fighter. He's only doing it for the money, for the family he's starting.

Speaking of risks. I know people in other lines of work too. Some dangerous lines of work. Things like nuclear waste and materials management, firefighters, long distance truck drivers, life boat and rescue operators... All get paid bar the latter which is a voluntary role, some even get hazard pay or awesome bonuses and perks. But guess what?

None of them earn near £300,000.

Tbh, I'm not sure what has you so bitter and far starters you don't know me from Adam. You don't know what I'm capable of physically and you'll be clueless of what I could achieve with 6 month rigorous training. That's what boxers do. Train for fights and maintain peak physical fitness... Just like any sportsman or woman.

Risk a lot?

Of course they do, it's why the get paid good. Even small time boxers do OK. £500 for a fight anyone? Some people would do hard time for that.

Get over sports icons already. Ordinary people place as much risk upon their lives daily and get pennies for it.

£300,000 is a lot of money, 10 years of work for your average person. Perspective...

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 05:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

You learn nothing from boxing.

especially when everything you know about it is TV based

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 01:36 PM
link   
My stupid opinion.

Boxing is a very technical sport.

So is grappling.

MMA grappling is very high order and very technical. Anyone who doesnt believe that should roll with a jiujitsu guy sometime and youll see very quickly just how technical it is.

Conversely if you dont think striking arts like boxing are technical go to the local boxing gym and spar. It will be humbling. Its a very good art for landing punches.

That being said i personally feel (just my opinion guys) that MMA doesnt have all that great striking or strikers. Even the ones who win via striking. You can tell by watching MMA footwork. Poor footwork and angles equals mediocre striking which is what i see.

A good striker can shut down a wrestler or grappler. Blunt force trauma to the head is blunt force trauma. Its pretty effective.

A good wrestler can equally have a good chance of circumventing a striker and thwarting his tactics.

As for the debate on whether eastern martial arts are legit or not. Its all about the way its trained not the technique.

There are tai chi moves that will F a guy up. But 99.9 percent of the tai chi instructors dont know their ass from a whole in the ground. For instance that tai chi move part horses mane. Go ask any tai chi dweeb at the park the combative application and watch his mind reel. He/she hasnt a clue. (Its an arm break btw)

same can be said about 99 percent of the shaolin arts. Most monks and instructors havent a clue about the applications. But the techniques before their esoteric trainibg of them came from battlefield arts. The techniques are valid. The shaolin monks interpretation of them are not, theyre lost and ignorant. Go watch Shi Yan Ran or Shi De Yang explain the movements for Da Hong Chuan or Qi Xing routine and it will be laughable. And yet the Qi Xing routine came from elite soldiers looking for asylum at the shaolin temple. They would practice the set but the monks didnt understand what the soldiers were doing. Its gone down hill from there once it was seperated from its source.

Aikido and hopkido can and does indeed work if trained from a combative mindset. Sadly the instructors havent got a clue. But the art did arise from samurai sword grappling techniques that did work.

Wing chun. What a mess. So much focus on correct elbow alignment but not a clue that most of those upper body structures came from combative weapon arts taught to foot soldiers. To a kali or silat guy well versed in weapon art they look at what the wing chun guys are doing very differently although most would agree the wing chun guys are fairly ignorant and lost about their own art.

Finally yes there are arts too deadly too see in a sport application.

Tomoi. Many people think its just another spelling of mauy thai. In a sense they are correct but tomoi comes from indian footsoldier combatives. It was designed to kill. Nothing in the MMA is designed exclusively to kill. Modern mauy thai isnt either. Of cpurse peopke die from injuries in the ring but the art its self isnt a deadly art intrinsically.

Forms of kali and silats that stem from the mahajaphit and sarvjaphit (sp) empires when india ruled the south east indies are all exclusively battlefield arts for killing. You cant use them in MMA guys that train in them arent doing MMA nor interested theyre off teaching marines, army and homeland security. These are eastern arts that are too deadly to see in the ring. They do exist they just arent openly taught.

I personally know an instructor in a west Javanese martial art who has many brazilian juijitsu students who go wth is that it instantly shuts down my juijitsu and any way i slice it the outcome is a broken neck. Same guy teaches special forces. A few MCMAP instructors from Pendtleton are training it and trying to incorporate the takedowns from the art into their marine core martial arts programs.

So there is a whole other set of arts even more scientific that are only about killing. They are very effective against just about anybody but you wont see them in the MMA for good reason.

But to say that MMA is less scientific than boxing is just ignorant. BOTH ARE PRETTY SWEET SCIENCES JUST FOCUSING ON DIFFERENT ASPECTS!

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 05:23 PM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

Check the Garbrandt vs Cruz fight. That's definitely one of my favourite fights this year. It's just end to end footwork, angles, strategy, intelligence and countering with a lot of hilarious showboating thrown in.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join