It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

YouTube is using blacklists to target specific channels

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 08:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Caver78

The YouTube move that really stank was when they empowered people in the comments sections to go around flagging videos as inappropriate and created troll ban brigades out of it.

If you've ever spent any time on YouTube commentary, you know that there are groups of trolls who go around even to the most innocuous stuff and troll it. They can sign up to help police YouTube or at least under that change they could.

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Youtube OWNS it's platform and certainly has the right to restrict content.

Google owns YouTube now.

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 08:27 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Thanks for the correction!

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 08:38 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Self appointed "internet police" have existed since anyone could buy a keyboard! LOL!!

I will admit I don't see as much of it since the Youtube channels I visit are tutorials on practical things and not political commentary or anything incendiary. You would think that Youtube would "screen" those who did sign up? It's been common knowledge that at least back in the beginning of forums every site had a self-appointed nurse ratchet who had an insane need to be right and the "authority" on the internet.

The dog-piling began almost instantaneously once everyone could purchase a computer and pay for dial-up.

Call me naive but this would hurt Youtubes bottom line to leave roving bands of internet trolls that keep making crank reports? Surely there's a dept that handles junk like this?

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 08:59 AM
link   
what did Ron Paul do before YouTube...

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 09:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: ChaoticOrder
a reply to: DerBeobachter

The reason people use YouTube is because there's already a base audience to consume their content, they don't have to advertise their website and attract a base audience. It's the same reason people use ebay to sell their stuff instead of creating a personal website to sell it.

no wonder www dot badw0lf dot com has been dormant for a decade

Google once did live by the "Don't be evil" motto. but they dropped it.

Dropped

If they can finance AI, robots and take over everything the internet has to offer, I'm sure they are unfazed by demonetising people who their controllers tell them to.

google is a dangerous company. I once criticised them on a google forum, alluding to them being after nothing but people as products for their end game. I woke up the next day, my youtube, gmail, google account were all gone. and where do you email or call to ask why? a faceless entity, apart from the stock exchange.

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 09:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

originally posted by: scraedtosleep
a reply to: ChaoticOrder

Youtube is a business and has the right to block whatever they want.

Censorship isn't 'business', its suppressing freedom of speech.

If you believe this than you have no idea what the 1st amendment is about.
The 1st restricts the government from censoring speech, it does not give the right
for a government or private person to dictate to a private company.
edit on 27-8-2017 by scraedtosleep because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 09:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Caver78
a reply to: ketsuko

Self appointed "internet police" have existed since anyone could buy a keyboard! LOL!!

How old are you again?

Did you every buy a heavy as hell $90 Honeywell AT KB?

there was no internet then. I don't know... kids these days..

"Muuuuum, the tablet is telling me scary things!!!!11"

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 09:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Censorship isn't 'business', its suppressing freedom of speech.

If you believe this than you have no idea what the 1st amendment is about.
The 1st restricts the government from censoring speech, it does not give the right
for a government or private person to dictate to a private company.

When did I get the 1st in Australia? The internet is NOT America.

kids again...

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 09:17 AM
link   

This was a while ago, so it may have been changed by now. But at the time, they more or less invited anyone with a YouTube account to sign up and help police video content.

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Mm interesting thread and hypothesis. I've felt something a-miss for a good few months now. I have 2 channels, both have videos with fairly unique titles. But searching for these only ever brings up 1 of the channels. The other channel, for years, typing part of the title would bring up the videos, now nothing at all, even with the full title. The channel that seems affected is where I stick my parodies and ufo investigation stuff. Although this isn't connected to monetization, I do feel this channel is on some kind of black list preventing its contents from being found. So perhaps even more insidious than monetization...

Sure, I accept it's their service and I'm merely a user so they can do what they want, but this seems to be the norm across the entire internet now. You run an internet service or an internet forum and the users are just numbers that can be corralled, muted and snipped at will. Internet sites protect their own corporate interests on such a brazen scale these days. With or without transparency, it's clear to see. Established sites often give off a vibe like it's an own little North Korean regime or something. And it's getting quite sickening...

Whether it's an incursion on freedom of speech, or whether we just have to accept it because it's "their service", I don't really know. But it sure is curious. Capitalism not just out on the streets now, it's in the internet, hardcore. Yet, that said, we're allowing it to happen - without so much of a fight.

A quote on my twitter feed (despite being about another service) kind of sums this up for me:

The idea that Twitch partners can't speak out about anything b/c we're just so "lucky" (nice word choice, too) to be partnered is crap.

Maybe YouTube bought out Vimeo or DailyMotion or something and are trying to get some of us to move

edit on 27-8-2017 by markymint because: added quote

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 09:36 AM
link   
a reply to: badw0lf

I was on the webs back when it was only a system used by colleges and govt.
>
>
>
>
was HELL!!!!
and printing out a copy entailed feeding paper with holes on the margins....just gruesome!!!

However my point stands. People of the younger generations have no real idea of how what they take for granted works so when they don't get what they want they scream like little spoiled brats. Everything they use was PAID FOR by someone else over the last 20 years. R&D isn't cheap.

and just cause I'm grumpy....if you can't build your own website to spout your BS maybe you need to rethink just how necessary to civilization your opinions ARE.

The over reaching by big internet companies has been debated and FORSEEN since the inception and early days of the internet. Now that those chickens are coming home to roost it's disingenuous to act indignant.

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 09:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

This was a while ago, so it may have been changed by now. But at the time, they more or less invited anyone with a YouTube account to sign up and help police video content.

Like here on ATS you can see how that was a common sense idea that's gone horribly wrong in YouTubes case. YouTube grew so exponentially that having viewers alert to bad content should have built community, instead it became a gateway to channel bullies apparently. I still have a hard time believing that wasn't foreseen by them.

It's more than possible Google/Youtube is using their sites to reflect their own opinions, so knowing that it leaves us with differing opinions to move to another platform. It's how capitalism and the marketplace work. Railing against an entity this large is usually wasted effort better spent building something different.

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 09:55 AM
link   

And? Individuals are allowed to ask for change or leave the service. Informing the public on things like this is always a positive, weather you agree with it or not. Informed individuals make the best choices.

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 10:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz
what did Ron Paul do before YouTube...

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 10:33 AM
link   

However my point stands. People of the younger generations have no real idea of how what they take for granted works so when they don't get what they want they scream like little spoiled brats. Everything they use was PAID FOR by someone else over the last 20 years. R&D isn't cheap.

and just cause I'm grumpy....if you can't build your own website to spout your BS maybe you need to rethink just how necessary to civilization your opinions ARE.

Actually I am a programmer and I have experience with almost a dozen different languages, with PHP and HTML being two I have the most experience with because I'm mainly a web developer and I've built many websites and web applications. I also built and operate several websites of my own. Don't just assume what I know and what I can do, I'm most likely a far better programmer than you, not to sound smug, lol.
edit on 27/8/2017 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

The 1st restricts the government from censoring speech,

You just go there to any gubment building or meeting even, try and express your rights.

it does not give the right for a government or private person to dictate to a private company.

Thats why all the fine print exists, too small to read, at the bottom of every document. They aren't violating your rights, they are adding 'clauses' to them.

I agree with you in principle however about the way things should be.

But truthfully, behind the facade, you no longer have any rights.

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 02:32 PM
link   

There are two problems with this argument;

1. They selectively enforce their rules with political bias.

2. They are running a monopoly. Google IS the internet. There is no alternative to YouTube. Every platform that tried to compete has either been bought out by Alphabet or simply removed from all the top searches and being shared on platforms that they control.

It's the closest thing to Big Brother that we've ever seen.

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 03:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: trollz

Oh yeah... Use DuckDuckGo instead of Google. It doesn't manipulate your search results, track you, or record anything you search.

As much as I like duckduckgo their search algorithm is kinda crappy. I tried to search up the external controls api for roku the other day. I spent 5 minutes in duckduckgo trying to find the page. I typed the same search into google it was the first result. But I still try not to use google as much as possible. I do use android phones but the first thing I do is root them and disable and remove as many google services as possible. I try and use apps only from the F-Droid open source repository and if my phone wasn't too old and crappy to i'd flash a custom rom to avoid amy google code on my phone altogether. The day they make an open phone with an unlocked bootloader available is the day I stop using android altogether and use something open

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 03:54 PM
link   
The tribe against YouTube is pretty easy to explain.

YouTube has money dumped into it from Google revenue, it's not profitable on it's own, even in the standard model.

So some clever idiots out for clicks found nefarious ways to get clicks without much content and suck revenue away from Google with this.

The argument is if that is considered 'fair'.

But once you see that Flat Earth top 15 channels alone is responsible for a segment of 9 million dollars,
"Life Hacks" videos to the EXACT SAME TRACK(I cannot find it, it's a popular techno song I will post link to it with search after) is responsible for some 100 MILLION dollars.
There are a lot more examples actually, the point isn't really to go into how people create these clickbait scams, just that what they are at their purpose is to get clicks before the content is even theorized. Essentially you can just put the techno song to any lifehack video and it will get rotated in the viral list, or you can film a lake and talk about curvature and you will be compared to videos with millions of hits for some.

It's a way to make money that they didn't indirectly want by copying content rather than creating it. Even cat videos are a degree higher in content than these schemes, essentially if it's more bait than a cat video that's why Google bans most of them.

But then when it comes to politics I do see a bias in the actual banishment of "Left"/Right wing videos, so that is there, but I will note that part of this is hugely attributed to the Right's style of propaganda, to essentially always bait. But what slips through the cracks a lot on the left in terms of bait really isn't acceptable so it shows what side it's moderated by.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join