It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Preserving Confederate Statues Isn’t Like Preserving Auschwitz

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 01:40 AM
link   
a reply to: fiverx313

First of all, I am not a left, right, supremacist nor a SJW. These tend to disgust me.

This is what I know.
Slavery was rife in those days. Lots of cultures did it.
Blaming it on white supremacy or the white man is a diversion. It was something of the times.

For the "left" it's always "us" vs "them." You are with us or against us.
Western Europe strived to stop slavery. i.e. the majority white cultures.
You don't see the same (anti white/self hating) prejudice people pointing this out.

Specifically for majority white people/cultures, there's a pro and con side.
When you exclude the good things you are left with the bad. Why focus just on that?
The whole thing attempts to polarise people. I don't want that. We are a single species after all.
Limbo
(A good read is the Barbary pirates.)

edit on 28-8-2017 by Limbo because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 03:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Limbo

Your speech is to late identity politics has divided everyone in to groups. Started about 2 decades ago and is now to far along to stop. Started out simple enough as groups claiming other groups wouldn't understand. Now has moved along to hatred of any group not yours.

Unfortunate I don't think their is a solution without some severe incident where what perceived as right and left clash. Lots of people will die and then the sane adults will be able to take over again.
edit on 8/28/17 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 06:23 AM
link   

I doesn't matter. If the Democrats keep it up with their violent shenanigan's (while blaming it on the right,) we will just replace the old statues with new ones, of great men who whipped their @$$e$ as well. The Democrats have no control over their people or themselves. The beauty of a conservative is, most of us were trained on weapons...so we know the right time to use them. We're waiting for you.
edit on 29-8-2017 by IlluminatiTechnician because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 02:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: IlluminatiTechnician

I doesn't matter. If the Democrats keep it up with their violent shenanigan's (while blaming it on the right,) we will just replace the old statues with new ones, of great men who whipped their @$$e$ as well. The Democrats have no control over their people or themselves. The beauty of a conservative is, most of us were trained on weapons...so we know the right time to use them. We're waiting for you.

your violent tendencies are duly noted

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 08:36 PM
link   
It's a FEDERAL law the southern troops are US VETERANs so get over it.
sites.google.com...

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 08:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
I got a better idea.

Lets teach statue phobes the meaning of the first amendment.

Let's use the first amendment to include those silenced voices of the time.

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 09:23 PM
link   
I say F the confederates. They were traitors who went to civil war to keep slaves. Their statues have been allowed to appease racists. Their racism has continued and their venom is alive and well today poisoning minds. Destroy the statues. Stop pretending there was anything noble about racists fighting to keep slavery.

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 09:30 PM
link   
If things like statues make many people upset, perhaps it's time for the statue to go.

Many racists are hiding behind Southern Pride and trying to justify their use of symbols of the old South.

Descendants of people who were slaves have a justifiable reason to not like the symbols of the old South.

My beliefs are that if these symbols offend people then find a knew symbol to express your pride.

How about a magnolia blossom?
edit on 12-9-2017 by Wildbob77 because: Mispelled word

posted on Sep, 16 2019 @ 01:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: fiverx313

There is a very big difference between the way people see Auschwitz and the way many White Southerners, at least, see Confederate Generals posed triumphantly on horses. Auschwitz serves as a reminder of those who suffered, while the Confederate statues glorify those who fought for continued suffering. You will notice that there are no triumphant looking statues of Hitler in Germany.

There is, however, a far more accurate analogy to be made here. Imagine if, in Germany, 50 years after WWII, groups of Holocaust deniers did put up statues of Adolph Hitler looking triumphant? And then got mad that people wanted to tear them down, because how dare they not remember history?

Well, that is exactly what happened in the United States after the Civil War. The Lost Cause of the Confederacy is revisionist history just like Holocaust Denial is. It is also about as accurate.

Germany, as you may know, bans people from promoting Holocaust Denialism. After the Civil War, America did the exact opposite. It allowed the Lost Cause bull# to proliferate, believing that it would help the nation to heal. Lost Causers were allowed to pretend that not only was the war about more than just slavery (it was not), that it was noble in some way, but also that slavery wasn’t really all that bad anyway.

it seems to bear repeating again, that the reason confederate statues suck, is because they are glorifying bad things.

i'm not sure why this is so hard for some of you to understand. maybe this will help? probably not but what the hell.

Let’s Teach Republicans Why Preserving Confederate Statues Isn’t Like Preserving Auschwitz!

IMPORTANT: New (old) Standards Are Being Enforced (again) For New Threads
edit on Sat Aug 26 2017 by DontTreadOnMe because: trimmed overly long quote IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

truepundit.com...

Virginia Judge Rules Charlottesville’s Confederate General Statues Must Stay

seems the judge has a different opinion than you do....

A state judge in Virginia ruled on Wednesday that the city of Charlottesville cannot legally move the two statues to Confederate generals that sparked mass protests. Circuit Judge Richard Moore ruled that a Virginia state law created to protect memorials prohibits the city’s plans to remove the statues.

Looks like the statues will be staying.....
The law in question....

It shall be unlawful for the authorities of the locality, or any other person or persons, to disturb or interfere with any monuments or memorials so erected, or to prevent its citizens from taking proper measures and exercising proper means for the protection, preservation and care of same.

Interesting turn of events imo.

posted on Sep, 16 2019 @ 01:38 PM
link   
I wish I had nothing better to worry about than some statues I find offensive. Nevermind, that sounds boring and pointless.

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join