It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Preserving Confederate Statues Isn’t Like Preserving Auschwitz

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 07:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

I 'm Scot's Irish,by name.
"Imagine your mother, wife and daughter being raped at will by these slaveholders and you cant do dam thing and if you do you'll be killed "
THAT was TUESDAY some time ago in OUR lands,at the hands of England.
AND some here as well.
AGAIN it's HISTORY,you may not read on a cellphone.

I keep waiting for countries in South America to sue Spain...

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 07:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
a reply to: Xcathdra

I don't usually watch Youtube videos as they are usually a waste of time.

Are you "Yepping" to my question to you or to MotherMayEye?

Yes sir i am. Democrats are responsible for slavery, the confederacy, the KKK and the civil war.

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 07:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra

a reply to: Gryphon66

Because anything belonging to the City of Charlottesville belongs to the citizens of the city and as such everyone should be able to make a decision instead of allowing a few people decide for everyone.

As is pointed out regularly, we live in a Republic. The people have freely elected representatives to make such decisions.

There is a higher moral obligation though on this topic to hold hearings for public feedback.

Why is this property different than any other? Don't you support local determination? The States, counties and cities have their Tenth Amendment rights. The citizens have duly elected their representatives ... why do you want to have a special election and waste the People's treasuries just because YOU feel a certain way?

And if the people of these cities felt this way, wouldn't they address that to their elected officials?

This is beginning to smack of carpetbagging, if I'm honest ... you guys want to come into the South and dictate what her citizens will do.

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 07:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell
Let em keep their goddam statues

But don’t you dare tell me you’re an American?

America stands for FREEDOM!

Not the preservation of oppression

And worst…

What kind of human being are you?

Not much of one

But the people and governments that actually OWN the statues are the ones REMOVING THEM.

Some folks want to dictate what other people do. It's sad.

All I’m trying to do is reach people's reason, heart and understanding....

For if we don’t reach into the goodness in peoples hearts, something now veiled by many things, we will never be outside of violence and separation…

You, my friend, are a rare voice of reason on this forum...Keep up the good work

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Yes sir i am. Democrats are responsible for slavery, the confederacy, the KKK and the civil war.

LOL. Can you give us a few sentence to back up your claim?

For example ... slavery in the New World began in what ... 1619?

The Democratic Party was not founded until ... what ... 1828?

link   

Carol Swain narrates that video. She is controversial being that she is a conservative black woman. But she is also a professor of poli sci/law at Vanderbilt and I can appreciate her unique POV and all the facts she provides to support her argument in that video.

She ends with a quote 'purported' to have come from LBJ. I find that the only thing lacking in the video -- although LBJ did love to manipulate the black vote by convincing black Americans that the Democratic party was going to save them from discrimination...discrimination that pretty much came entirely from terrible Democratic party policies.

edit on 8/26/2017 by MotherMayEye because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

The main cause was starvation-and the entire Confederate Army was also starving as well as southerners at the time.

No comparison with Nazi Germany; although by the end of the war their armies and civilians were also starving.

Horrors during the Civil War were suffered by all- Andersonville is just more famous-the winners write the history, remember?

link   
Another thing people need to be mindful of is 650-850,000 white guys killed themselves to 'free' the slaves.

But hey their sacrifices should be forgotten.

link   

Let em keep their goddam statues

But don’t you dare tell me you’re an American?

America stands for FREEDOM!

Not the preservation of oppression

And worst…

What kind of human being are you?

Not much of one

But the people and governments that actually OWN the statues are the ones REMOVING THEM.

Some folks want to dictate what other people do. It's sad.

All I’m trying to do is reach people's reason, heart and understanding....

For if we don’t reach into the goodness in peoples hearts, something now veiled by many things, we will never be outside of violence and separation…

You, my friend, are a rare voice of reason on this forum...Keep up the good work

My friend ... that is a noble cause. I wish you luck.

I'm a gadfly, but thanks for the sentiment.

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 07:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: MotherMayEye

I don't blame entire states. I blame the ideology.

I almost never agree with my *state* on anything.

Fair enough.

When you were a Democrat ... did you agree with the party on everything?

Do you think the entire Democratic party agreed with slavery and White supremacy?

If so ... can you help me understand why you feel that way?

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Of course I support local determination. However I also believe in a lively public debate process where the citizens have a chance to be heard before history is destroyed. Better to get feedback and then make a decision rather than rip it down only to find out the majority of the people didnt want it to go.

Measure twice, cut once.

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Hence the 6 minute video I linked.

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 07:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
Another thing people need to be mindful of is 650-850,000 white guys killed themselves to 'free' the slaves.

But hey their sacrifices should be forgotten.

Strawman. No one says that any American's death should be forgotten. Well, except you who implied that the Americans who died in WWII were somehow unworthy of honor. Shame on you again for that.

Hey, did you ever decide about how public property is a free speech act protected by the First Amendment?
edit on 26-8-2017 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Hence the 6 minute video I linked.

Right, and Youtube videos are not reliable sources.

How about a sentence then. If you hold that opinion so strongly, surely you can articulate it, right?

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 07:15 PM
link   

How about you watch the 6 minute video that is presented by a professor from Vanderbilt University.

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Strawman. No one says that any American's death should be forgotten. Shame on you.

Says the guy that has repeatedly called myself a 'nazi sympathizer'.

Where's that shame high sparrow?

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Of course I support local determination. However I also believe in a lively public debate process where the citizens have a chance to be heard before history is destroyed. Better to get feedback and then make a decision rather than rip it down only to find out the majority of the people didnt want it to go.

Measure twice, cut once.

Why do you want to interfere then in local politics? Why do you assume that the government in these places hasn't held public meetings on the issue? (For example, in Charlottesville they've been meeting for over two years if memory serves.)
edit on 26-8-2017 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Where did I claim I wanted to interfere? All i said was anything protected by law needs to be left alone. For everything else people need to educate themselves / others before taking an action.

If they have been having meetings for 2 years then that tells me they have not come to a majority opinion in one direction or the other.

Aside from identity politics coming into play now why was this not an issue when our President was black?
edit on 26-8-2017 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 07:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

Strawman. No one says that any American's death should be forgotten. Shame on you.

Says the guy that has repeatedly called myself a 'nazi sympathizer'.

Where's that shame high sparrow?

Actually if anything, I said that by your words and actions created false equivalencies and doing everything you could to deny the facts of what happened in Charlottesville, you were acting as a Nazi apologist. But that's not this thread is it?

Now. Who has said that Americans' deaths should be forgotten?

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 07:20 PM
link   

If I didn't agree...I found some tortured way to not blame the party/Democratic politicians and blame it on Republicans, instead.

I admit it. I did.

Hillary said GWB sat down with her and looked her in the eyes and told her that there were WMD. So she believed him and voted for war. And I let that be enough to absolve her and blame Republicans.

I don't think voters in either party really support most of the sh*tty policies the party leaders push. They just find tortured ways to deflect the responsibility onto the *other* party or advisors.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join