It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Preserving Confederate Statues Isn’t Like Preserving Auschwitz

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Let em keep their goddam statues

But don’t you dare tell me you’re an American?

America stands for FREEDOM!

Not the preservation of oppression

And worst…

What kind of human being are you?

Not much of one

edit on 26-8-2017 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 06:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
a reply to: Gryphon66

Consider the statue of Lee in Charlottesville VA. Is it on public land? Is it public property?

If someone actually bothered to read those sources.

Paul Goodloe a private citizen bought and paid for both lee park and the statue.

Donated to the city.

Stood there for 100 years with no one whining about it until the social justice warriors last YEAR.

So, the City of Charlottesville owns this statue as well as the land it sits on?

Awesome.

So now, if the City of Charlottesville decides to remove its property from its own land ... how is that any of your business?

Do you want to force the citizens of Charlottesville to bend to your will? How authoritarian of you!

Also, please explain again how public property is protected by the First Amendment. Thx.
edit on 26-8-2017 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 06:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

Don't forget all those supposed (I was raised in the South and never saw a history book that denied slavery as one of the reasons for war)history books that don't jibe with the present acceptable reasons for the horrid war.

Then, we should go to all the houses with flags flying or offensive stickers on cars that we don't like.

Also, all that music and musicians with offensive lyrics, burn them all.

Of course, the internet is already being censored with more to come.

Oh, dear, we are starting to sound like 1930's Germany.

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 06:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

Exactly. Plenty of those records survived!

Conspiracy theories are interesting to research and entertain but of course not every "theory" has any amount of truth to them. And some real research that doesn't rely on YouTube videos reveals the cold disgusting truth of the 3rd Reich.

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 06:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell
Let em keep their goddam statues

But don’t you dare tell me you’re an American?

America stands for FREEDOM!

Not the preservation of oppression

And worst…

What kind of human being are you?

Not much of one

But the people and governments that actually OWN the statues are the ones REMOVING THEM.

Some folks want to dictate what other people do. It's sad.

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Robert E. Lee letter dated December 27, 1856:

I was much pleased the with President's message. His views of the systematic and progressive efforts of certain people at the North to interfere with and change the domestic institutions of the South are truthfully and faithfully expressed. The consequences of their plans and purposes are also clearly set forth. These people must be aware that their object is both unlawful and foreign to them and to their duty, and that this institution, for which they are irresponsible and non-accountable, can only be changed by them through the agency of a civil and servile war. There are few, I believe, in this enlightened age, who will not acknowledge that slavery as an institution is a moral and political evil. It is idle to expatiate on its disadvantages. I think it is a greater evil to the white than to the colored race. While my feelings are strongly enlisted in behalf of the latter, my sympathies are more deeply engaged for the former. The blacks are immeasurably better off here than in Africa, morally, physically, and socially. The painful discipline they are undergoing is necessary for their further instruction as a race, and will prepare them, I hope, for better things. How long their servitude may be necessary is known and ordered by a merciful Providence. Their emancipation will sooner result from the mild and melting influences of Christianity than from the storm and tempest of fiery controversy. This influence, though slow, is sure. The doctrines and miracles of our Saviour have required nearly two thousand years to convert but a small portion of the human race, and even among Christian nations what gross errors still exist! While we see the course of the final abolition of human slavery is still onward, and give it the aid of our prayers, let us leave the progress as well as the results in the hands of Him who, chooses to work by slow influences, and with whom a thousand years are but as a single day. Although the abolitionist must know this, must know that he has neither the right not the power of operating, except by moral means; that to benefit the slave he must not excite angry feelings in the master; that, although he may not approve the mode by which Providence accomplishes its purpose, the results will be the same; and that the reason he gives for interference in matters he has no concern with, holds good for every kind of interference with our neighbor, -still, I fear he will persevere in his evil course. . . . Is it not strange that the descendants of those Pilgrim Fathers who crossed the Atlantic to preserve their own freedom have always proved the most intolerant of the spiritual liberty of others?

As to the answer for your others questions I have no idea. Hence the reason people need to learn history before destroying it.

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 06:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6
a reply to: neo96

If someone actually bothered to read those sources.

If you had, you would've noticed his name is Paul Goodloe McIntire. I mean you even quoted sections with his actual name in them but you keep misnaming him. Lol

Did I not link it ?

DID I NOT ?

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 06:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

Do you still want to present that the way Nazis treated people and the way Confederates treated people are completely unrelated as you say here?

Was the main cause of human death at Andersonville ideology based or something else? You appear to be suggesting that I hold no regard for human suffering - you could not be more wrong.

Main cause, what was it?

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 06:59 PM
link   

So now, if the City of Charlottesville decides to remove its property from its own land ... how is that any of your business?

First problem city council did.

The people didn't.

The PEOPLE had no say by democratic vote.

Second problem.

How was that any business of a communist group out of California?

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Funny THE WORLD has the same problem separating moderate Muslims from Jihad targets...
The point ...the ONLY point is not to minimize what happened so they can do it AGAIN,when they make you forget parts of history as they please .
We are saying NO ,and not really dealing with any emotions because THAT is how the communists START their work every time ,WE know and are stopping the new Marxist attack on history.

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Because anything belonging to the City of Charlottesville belongs to the citizens of the city and as such everyone should be able to make a decision instead of allowing a few people decide for everyone.

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Early in November 2016, the Blue Ribbon Commission voted 6–3 to let both statues remain in place.[7] On November 28, 2016, it voted 7–2 to remove the Lee statue to McIntire Park in Charlottesville and 8–1 to keep the Stonewall Jackson statue in place,[8] delivering a final report with that recommendation to Charlottesville City Council in December.[9]

Fascism takes only a few 'intellectual' elite.

7 to be exact.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 07:01 PM
link   
a reply to: MotherMayEye

The Democratic Party created the Confederacy?

Really? I could have sworn it was Georgia, Alabama, North and South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, Mississippi, Louisiana, Florida, Arkansas and Texas that seceded and founded the Confederacy. (Kentucky and Missouri were "unofficial" members.)

You know, the same states whose representatives fought against Civil Rights, formed their own party in '48 to stand against Civil Rights, and who are now majority Republican?

Those States you mean?
edit on 26-8-2017 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 07:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra

Because anything belonging to the City of Charlottesville belongs to the citizens of the city and as such everyone should be able to make a decision instead of allowing a few people decide for everyone.

As is pointed out regularly, we live in a Republic. The people have freely elected representatives to make such decisions.

link   

Yup

link   

I don't blame entire states. I blame the ideology.

I almost never agree with my *state* on anything.

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 07:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

Early in November 2016, the Blue Ribbon Commission voted 6–3 to let both statues remain in place.[7] On November 28, 2016, it voted 7–2 to remove the Lee statue to McIntire Park in Charlottesville and 8–1 to keep the Stonewall Jackson statue in place,[8] delivering a final report with that recommendation to Charlottesville City Council in December.[9]

Fascism takes only a few 'intellectual' elite.

7 to be exact.

en.wikipedia.org...

49,000 people didn't get a say.

But it's what the people 'wanted' !!!

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 07:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

originally posted by: Xcathdra

As is pointed out regularly, we live in a Republic. The people have freely elected representatives to make such decisions.

There is a higher moral obligation though on this topic to hold hearings for public feedback.

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 07:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

I don't usually watch Youtube videos as they are usually a waste of time.

Are you "Yepping" to my question to you or to MotherMayEye?

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 07:06 PM
link   
The other thing people need to understand is the civil war was not fought over slavery but states rights. Slavery was just one component of a much larger issue.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join