It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Preserving Confederate Statues Isn’t Like Preserving Auschwitz

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 06:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

Stop trying to to toss in red herring. I know the cross -n-pee bit er, uh, peeves you off

That's not a red herring.

IT does but guess what ?

Didn't go run and tear it down and try to erect my own over it.

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 06:10 PM
link   
a reply to: fiverx313

The Statue of Liberty should be destroyed next - it is a lie sprinkled with a fantastic falsehood because there are lots of homeless and hungry actual Americans (mainly vets) who have been shafted by the system at the expense of non-Americans.

Mount Rushmore straight after that should be leveled - it is a reminder that whitey reigns supreme (no - it's not, but I'm going with the flow here).

Pluck out your eye if it offends thee.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 06:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell

originally posted by: knowledgehunter0986

What does Auschwitz have to do with anything?

What you people don't seem to understand is that nobody is denying what the statues represent. Suck or not, bad or good, history should be preserved the way it was cemented.

Context shouldn't matter at all.

NOT by US government tax money of the citizens.

There are far more important things you should worry about when it comes to your US tax dollars. You know, things that actually affect you. This has nothing to do with money, only feelings.

edit on 26-8-2017 by knowledgehunter0986 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 06:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

The tiniest bit of research into the local history (newspapers, govenrment documents, etc.) would pretty easily reveal which were monuments to the continuation of Segregation and later on, opposition to Civil Rights. Have I personally done that for all Confederate Statuary in the United States at this moment? No. Could I? Yes. Should it be done?

I say it's up to the cities, towns and counties (and in some cases States) that put the things up in the first place.

Why are so many people against local determination in this case? Why can't the citizens make their own decisions?

(post by flyingdutchman2112 removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 06:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

Stop trying to to toss in red herring. I know the cross -n-pee bit er, uh, peeves you off

That's not a red herring.

IT does but guess what ?

Didn't go run and tear it down and try to erect my own over it.

Well, perhaps not literally but as you bring that up as an example over and over and over ... I'd say you've built your own monument in your own honor at this point.

Now ... the question ... are statues that were installed on public lands by municipalities, counties, and States free speech acts protected by the First Amendment ... or not?

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 06:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: flyingdutchman2112
Yeah because they use Auschwitz to exaggerate and stretch the truth of what really happened in the holohoax. How about 500,000 people dying from experiement s, summary executions, typhus and starvation instead of the 6 gorillion.

Holocaust denial linked with love of Confederate statues ... why am I not surprised?

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 06:16 PM
link   

I'd say you've built your own monument in your own honor at this point.

Nothing in comparison to the biggest monument ever built off the backs of slaves.

The party of the donkey.

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 06:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell

What does Auschwitz have to do with anything?

What you people don't seem to understand is that nobody is denying what the statues represent. Suck or not, bad or good, history should be preserved the way it was cemented.

Context shouldn't matter at all.

NOT by US government tax money of the citizens.

There are far more important things you should worry about when it comes to your US tax dollars. You know, things that actually affect you. This has nothing to do with money, only feelings.

... well then, it has nothing to do with your feelings or any of the others here wailing about it ... this is a matter of self-determination to be left up to the citizens and governments of the local areas where these statues are, right?

I mean, you don't want the Federal government to keep States, cities and counties from exercising their Tenth Amendment rights, do ya?

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 06:18 PM
link   

I'd say you've built your own monument in your own honor at this point.

Nothing in comparison to the biggest monument ever built off the backs of slaves.

The party of the donkey.

Yeah, we all know your hatred of Democrats.

Now, are you going to answer the question about your spurious claim: Are statues that were installed by governments covered under the First Amendment or not? Your continued avoidance of the question will speak for you.

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Do people know the institution of American slavery essentially murdered millions of Africans

And in many cases slavery is worst than being directly genocided as the Jews were

Slavery, in a sense is slow and torturous death

In S America they literally worked Indian slaves to death often

Many NA often died rather than be slaves, that’s why in the end the Africans (who didn’t commit suicide on the most part) when faced with being made a slave
were more attractive to the southern slave owners

If people think that something made illegal in name only in the year 1865 still doesn’t resonate in the souls of people then you are deluded

These statues represent mass murder, degradation and torture of millions of unknown, unseen, innocent human beings.
They'll NEVER BE A STATUE TO THEM....And only GOD WILL RECTIFY THEIR SOULS and bring to justice the evildoers who destroyed their lives

That alone should and would be enough in any other country, for people to understand why they should be taken down

FOREVER!
edit on 26-8-2017 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-8-2017 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 06:20 PM
link   

They weren't installed by governments.,

They were paid for by private citizens.

Mostly relatives of the long departed.

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 06:21 PM
link   
i expected this thread would prove triggering for a lot of you and i was right...

please, explain to me more how taking down monuments to the glorification of slavery will result in erasing all of history ever, everywhere.

your dancing to justify a few sad old statues about a fake history are pretty entertaining

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Robert E LEE.

Paul Goodloe.

PRIVATE GD CITIZEN.

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

In 1917 Paul Goodloe McIntire commissioned the statue from the artist Henry Shrady (1871–1922). It was the second of four works he commissioned from members of the National Sculpture Society.

Paul Goodloe McIntire (1860–1952) was an American stockbroker, investor, and philanthropist from Virginia. He served on the Chicago and New York Stock Exchanges. He was a generous donor to the University of Virginia.

Back to outright LYING.

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Preserving Confederate Statues Isn’t Like Preserving Auschwitz

Also, I assume the OP has visited Auschwitz, if not then denial is an ugly thing, so, also put this in your pipe and smoke it - there is absolutely zero comparison.........

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 06:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

Ever heard of Andersonville?

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 06:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

Also, I assume the OP has visited Auschwitz, if not then denial is an ugly thing, so, also put this in your pipe and smoke it - there is absolutely zero comparison....

That's what they call the false equivalence fallacy.

If they really want it compared to Auschwitz they should be talking about how America elected a president that attended the 1924 Klanbake.

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Which ones? Got a list? I doubt it.

Which ones aren't installed on public lands and are now the property of local governments?

None. You know you're wrong. Government speech is not protected.

Face it. You made a stupid comparison.

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 06:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
a reply to: Irishhaf

The tiniest bit of research into the local history (newspapers, govenrment documents, etc.) would pretty easily reveal which were monuments to the continuation of Segregation and later on, opposition to Civil Rights. Have I personally done that for all Confederate Statuary in the United States at this moment? No. Could I? Yes. Should it be done?

I say it's up to the cities, towns and counties (and in some cases States) that put the things up in the first place.

Why are so many people against local determination in this case? Why can't the citizens make their own decisions?

Except no where did I say I was against locals making the decision on the statues.

If locals are actually outraged and go through the proper channels to get it removed that is fine.

What I do not like is fake outrage (all of a sudden with a guy in the oval office with an R next to his name its a problem), Or having people from out of state showing up to protest and lose their stuff over a statue to cause a scene to force its removal, I also do not like cities saying we will just move it to a more appropriate location and it disappears into the ware house alongside the ark of the covenant never to be seen again.

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 06:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

Which ones? Got a list? I doubt it.

Which ones aren't installed on public lands and are now the property of local governments?

None. You know you're wrong. Government speech is not protected.

Face it. You made a stupid comparison.

Too little. Too damn late

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join