It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Theater Stops Showing ‘Gone With the Wind,’ Ran For Decades-Now Deemed ‘insensitive’

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 05:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
a reply to: seasonal

You are not getting my point at all. Just forget it alright.

I understand. You don't like the way slaves were shown.

Anytime we apply today's ethics to a 76 year old movie we may be disappointed that it doesn't meet our every little need for fairness and equity. Banning a movie because of retroactive grievances is a fool's errand.
edit on 26-8-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 05:31 PM
link   
I'm pretty well convinced I'm now living in the "Outer Limits".

There is nothing wrong with your television set. Do not attempt to adjust the picture. We are controlling transmission. If we wish to make it louder, we will bring up the volume. If we wish to make it softer, we will tune it to a whisper. We will control the horizontal. We will control the vertical. We can roll the image, make it flutter. We can change the focus to a soft blur or sharpen it to crystal clarity. For the next hour sit quietly and we will control all that you see and hear. We repeat: there is nothing wrong with your television set. You are about to participate in a great adventure. You are about to experience the awe and mystery which reaches from the inner mind to... The Outer Limits.

Put down that remote, we will no longer need it as our reality is being written and rewritten for us as higher powers are in control of what is or is not reality.

We now return control of your television set to you, until next week, at the same time when the Control Voice will take you to... The Outer Limits.

It's drugs in the water supply. No other way to explain it.

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 05:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

The Twilight Zone may be more apt:

"There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone."

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 05:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: queenofswords
First African American to win an academy award was from Gone With the Wind. Hattie McDaniel who played the role of 'Mammy' won the Oscar for Best Supporting Actress. It was a start. Her performance was amazing.

I agree. "Mammy" made that film so much more watchable and entertaining. She and Butterfly McQueen were awesome in it.

This used to be an expensive DVD, last month I found it in the $5 bin at Wal Mart. A must have for any serious classic movie collector. Hurry up and dig through the bin, I have a feeling they are going to stop printing it.

In the 80s it was shown at Grauman's Chinese Theater in Hollywood, and I went and saw it in a magnificent theater with a full house. The lush color and beauty of the film on a wide screen was breathtaking.

I've also been to Memphis. I love that their high school there by where Elvis lived is called "Cretin High School". How apropo.

If you want to see an old film that really puts racism in your face, see "Imitation of Life" with Lana Turner. Wow. A fantastic movie with several plots, including a little girl who looks sort of white but has a black mother, and how she tries to pass as 'white' so she's not treated differently. It's bold, brave for its time, and the ending will have you going through a box of tissues.

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 05:44 PM
link   
It seems to me this is leading to a generation of people fully indoctrinated and controlled by group think, the end of free thought and the elimination of history.

I thought the idea of book burning being next was hyperbole, but I guess I was wrong. Might be time to hide the books and films and preserve history.

This is a good argument for stepping away from digital books and films and preserving them in print or tapes, before they are expunged by the control freaks who seem to be at the helm.

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 05:45 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

I stand by my drugs in the water theory.

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 05:48 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

All us White folks should just shoot ourselves and give our nations over to the
black and muslim folks,there...problem solved!

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 05:53 PM
link   
a reply to: rigel4

Our nation is neither white or black.

The media is doing a bang up job at separating us into neat little easily controlled groups who get MAD at everything "they" do.

This is a good reason to not have 6 corporation control all we see hear and read.

edit on 26-8-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 05:55 PM
link   
a reply to: rigel4

This is not a racial thing and it's not them doing this. It's a small number of attention whores having a great time watching us dance, most of them White. They have been allowed to take over because weak minded, weak willed people panic over a few nasty emails or phone calls.

It's trendy now to label everything racist or hate. This small minority of people involved need to have the microphone taken away from them and the damn politicians need to grow a pair and stop kowtowing to them for a few extra votes like the scummy little dirt bags they are.

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 06:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals
They'll substitute some Quentin Tarantino film like Django Unchained.
Nice family film, take the kids!

Maybe black snake moan , or maybe American history X. How well would that go over , tv and movies are all going to be unicorns and rainbows when people finall stop complaining, maybe they should worry about the crime rate in their cities and the other insensitive things that are happening in real life and stop worrying about a GD movie.

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 06:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

And Roland in the new Dark Tower movie. If you read the books you know this doesn't work. See Detta Walker. I don't get it. Still. A separate issue.

Haven't seen that one. Read some of the books ages ago, but can't remember the characters. Not surprised, though. They did something like that in The Pelican Brief, too. The reporter was clearly a white guy in the book, which brought in some funny moments as he met with his contact. Didn't work well at all. Nothing against Denzel Washington - he's a good actor - but he wasn't right for that role.

I think it's all related. The trend is to condemn anything and everything about the past, if it's about a time before the civil rights years, while at the same time condemning all white people, for being white, which is utterly racist. Not showing a classic movie, because it's about the Civil War era? Ridiculous! When are we banning movies that insult white folks? How about the commercials?? I see those frequently. The smart person, the monied person, etc, is always something other than white, and if there is someone foolish, or otherwise picked on, it's always, ALWAYS, a white guy. There are companies that lost our business because of this nonsense.

It's sickening, the way society has changed in recent years, when it comes to race issues. Growing up, we were taught that color didn't matter. We flat didn't care what someone looked like. The first racism I saw was from black kids in the school to which we were bused, back in those days. Even then, that didn't change who we played with at home, which was a family with seven kids, who happened to be black. Wasn't their fault those other kids were racists. In later years, I saw less and less of that, and people seemed to really not care. Now, it's like that's ALL some think about, and they are more racist than anything I've seen in my life. When that poor kid was tortured in Chicago, the media called him a "man", at 18, and the three 18-year-olds, and 20-something that attacked him were described as "teens". Same age, or older, but the victim is a "man", and the attackers are "just kids"? It's flat wrong.

My daughter referred to a friend of hers as her "cousin"; a friend who was the daughter of a friend of mine, also my maid of honor, who was very dark-skinned, black, while my own is so pale she practically glows in the dark. These days, people would be attacking her friend, for daring to have a white friend. It's just sick. Erasing history, excusing racism, while labeling all who disagree as "closet racists/Nazis/whatever" - race relations are as bad as they've ever been.

Something's got to give.

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 06:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
a reply to: Deaf Alien

No not prophetic. It was made years after the war. I think the producers knew how the story ended. Prophetic. Lol. That's funny.

Do you think I don't know that?

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 07:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wide-Eyes
a reply to: DrStevenBrule

Wrong, they would need white actors to play slaves.

That would be a box office smasher.

Long tradition... Charlton Heston does Moses, ever see Chuck Connors as Geronimo, John Wayne as Genghis Khan?

What a crackup

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 07:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien

originally posted by: intrptr
a reply to: Deaf Alien

Somehow I doubt there are that many people in that city would actually have any problem with the movie

In Memphis?

The only people that would call that insensitive are the younger generation. The movie discriminates against the South.

Many movies discriminate against the South and black people.

Thats what they aren't showing it. Ever see Dead Presidents?

Insensitive people should stay away.

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 09:04 PM
link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal

Now, that does start to sound fascist-scary.

posted on Aug, 26 2017 @ 09:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Arizonaguy

I made my ex see it at the University of Minnesota in the 80s. He'd never even heard of it.

The packed theatre laughed and hollered so loudly and offensively that we left part way through. He didn't get it at all.

I grew up believing this was the best movie ever made. So romantic, beautiful costumes, fearful scenes before, during and after the war that ruined the south and Scarlett with her fist in the air defiantly telling God she and her fold will never starve again.

She sold herself body and soul to survive. There are so many levels to this movie.

The slaves were pitifully treated and depicted which always bothered me but it was the past, I was told.

However, as I became more aware even in the 60s, the blacks still suffered which I was especially aware of in Atlanta.

Now I know it's just another piece of history-not pretty or as romantic but certainly deserves to exist as a reminder of a different time that did exist-in reality as well as the movies.

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 12:07 AM
link   
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

I still think Obama had all those years he could have brought our country together and he consistently made racial comments and took sides further dividing and encouraging blacks and whites to take stands against one another. What a horrible waste of an example of leadership and power. I do think history will not look favorably on his presidency; especially if he continues to use his after-presidency power to mobilize even further anguish between the races. So disappointing.

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 02:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
Well if anyone wants to see it there's always dvd.

Or streaming on line. Or if they really cared they could start
their own theater and play gone with the wind every night.
History is not being erased just because one theater decides to
stop playing one movie, at the behest of the citizens of the that city.
Un-bunch your panties.

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 05:35 AM
link   
I guarantee that no paying patron complained about the film. These idiots are pandering to people that would never have paid to see it and likely didn't even pay to see any other movie there.

Yet another example of polite fools accommodating completely insane mental basket cases and eroding tiny bit off freedom and culture just to keep the peace.

I'm sick of keeping the peace, I'm gunning for a fight.

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 06:29 AM
link   
In a reply to: seasonal

Not surprising unfortunately. We live in a world where we can no longer rely on peoples ability to take responsibility for their own sensitivities and instead, have rely on others to do that for them.

I keep wanting to tell people to grow up, but I don't think that's possible for some.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join