It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hurricane Harvey: The potential to change US history?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 09:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
a reply to: TXTriker

That was very informative! I had no idea Houston was so large. The city is relatively well-behaved, and low-keyed. (No protestors, terrorists, showboat personalities, etc.). Congratulations.

Thank you. We have our problems and our idiots but we try not to air too much dirty laundry.

We actually did have a protest last weekend about confederate statues. No one got stupid and our LEOs were very firm about it.
edit on 8/27/2017 by TXTriker because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 09:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: jadedANDcynical

It's absolutely staggering.

I am so thankful we are relatively unscathed, minus a few limbs. I hope that continues for the remainder of this event.

What's going to be a problem for us will be that eventually we will eat through the food we have, and have trouble replenishing it if the grocery stores can't get resupplied. We've got enough for about a week and a half, after that it starts looking a little sparse.

So far we've been able to get fast food - McDonald's in our small town has been open-love their breakfast. Not sure what will happen in the morning. I think we have enough for a couple of week's - may be just canned veggies at the end though. Ribs done in the crock pot tonight and that will last a couple of days. There are only two of us.
edit on 8/27/2017 by TXTriker because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 10:03 PM
link   
a reply to: jadedANDcynical

In Chicago, a contractor broke an underground pipe. The water released by just this one pipe caused a skyscraper to tilt a bit. What's under the Houston skyscrapers? I hope it's not just sand and dirt.

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Maybe this should be a reminder to all of us, even those not living in hurricane prone places, to check the emergency supplies of food, water, batteries, etc. Put some cash away in a safe place, more than one place even, some in a vehicle and some in the house. Check paper supplies, (toilet paper, paper towels, paper plates, tissues) first aid supplies and make sure you have a working battery-operated radio. We have those nifty wind-up flashlights on each floor of the house, in each vehicle and two of them in the bug-out bag.

I know from our experience last year that being caught in evacuation traffic is no fun. A drive that normally takes us under five hours was extended to nine. We were just visiting the area so we were prepared to travel with only a few hours notice. I can't even begin to imagine an entire family having to grab and go that quickly. My thoughts and prayers are with those who are affected.

Tonight when we were out for dinner we saw friends who are expecting relatives to arrive from the Houston area shortly. There were a lot of folks who left the area when the warnings were issued. Three families are making their way to our area to stay with friends or relatives until it is safe to return to their homes. Fortunately they have friends and family along the way who have been putting them up.

Here's to all the first-responders who are there savings lives. We are thankful for you!

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 10:40 PM
link   

In Chicago, a contractor broke an underground pipe. The water released by just this one pipe caused a skyscraper to tilt a bit. What's under the Houston skyscrapers? I hope it's not just sand and dirt.

Not sure about all but a lot are set on concrete pilings. It was a swamp at one time so the ground itself would not hold the weight of the building without the pilings.

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 11:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: TXTriker

Not sure about all but a lot are set on concrete pilings. It was a swamp at one time so the ground itself would not hold the weight of the building without the pilings.

The continuous action of water moving out to sea, underneath the heavy buildings downtown is a real danger. After this is over, you may find that many of them will be deemed uninhabitable until their underground caissons are thoroughly inspected.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Addicks and Barker reservoirs releasing now. They've been taking on half a foot of water an hour.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 11:30 AM
link   
A friend is an EMT from Dallas and is part of the rescue effort. They're staging at a Buc-ees in Victoria (about half an hour north of Houston) - a huge store that opened its facilities to them. She reports that they've been working long shifts, evacuating hospitals and nursing homes.

Several friends are stranded on "islands" (high ground.) We have relatives in the area, but they happened to be on vacation - they're not able to get back home and don't know how much is left.

One is not sure if her job (the business she works for) will survive the hurricane.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 11:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: jadedANDcynical

It's absolutely staggering.

I am so thankful we are relatively unscathed, minus a few limbs. I hope that continues for the remainder of this event.

What's going to be a problem for us will be that eventually we will eat through the food we have, and have trouble replenishing it if the grocery stores can't get resupplied. We've got enough for about a week and a half, after that it starts looking a little sparse.

That's what worries me. One of my Facebook friends is fairly poor and couldn't afford to evacuate (another is disabled) - I worry about them not being able to get to food. Neither has the resources to "stockpile emergency supplies."

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 11:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Byrd

There are HEB store trucks waiting to move into the area with emergency food supplies for those in need.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 01:48 PM
link   
The food and water situation is about to get serious. There are still way too many stranded people in inaccessible areas.

I'm seeing social media pleas from people asking for help.

If they aren't reached by nightfall today, tomorrow and thereafter is going to be intense.

edit on 28-8-2017 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Well, this is not looking good.

As Harvey's waters rise, so do panic levels, rescuer says

As Harvey continues dumping rain on East Texas and the waters there continue to rise, people are starting to panic, rushing rescue boats and even shooting at them if they don't stop, said one volunteer rescuer.

"They're making it difficult for us to rescue them," he said. "You have people rushing the boat. Everyone wants to get in at the same time. They're panicking. Water is rising."

Because of the hostile responses, the Cajun Navy has been forced to halt some rescue attempts, Cain said.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 05:38 PM
link   
The forecast for tonight is horrible. They need to get people out now. I think Houston could disappear into the gulf.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 09:37 PM
link   
I think I got fired today for telling the boss that there is no way I am driving in this mess. Oh, well.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 11:36 PM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

Sorry to hear that.

Jobs are replaceable. Stay safe.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 11:58 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 12:17 AM
link   
The two reservoirs west of town are a big worry. The water actually enters Buffalo bayou from the west. The bayou runs west to east and passes downtown on the north. The far east end is what is the Houston Ship Channel.

The confluence of White Oak bayou and Buffalo bayou on the north edge of downtown creates what looks like a giant lake during these events.

(post by dresses removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Looks like the Addicks dam is going to spill over today:

The Addicks Dam in Houston is going to spill over for the first time ever as life-threatening flooding from Tropical Storm Harvey continues to ravage the city, Fox News reported.

The dam was less than half a foot from spilling over at 8 a.m. ET Tuesday. The spill will "dramatically affect" the immediate surrounding subdivisions, according to Harris County Flood Control.

It's unclear what the full effect will be when the dam spills over, but Flood Control said its' "uncharted territory." The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers began controlled water release of the Addicks Reservoir Monday in an attempt to manage flood levels in the immediate area.

Linl.

posted on Aug, 29 2017 @ 07:54 AM
link   
a reply to: loam

It has just breached the spillway. 108' is the spillway level.
www.harriscountyfws.org...

The rain is finally coming to an end for most of Houston, at least for now. I know rivers will often continue to rise after the rain stops, my guess is the resevoir will do the same.
edit on 29-8-2017 by jrod because: Add

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join