It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hurricane Harvey: The potential to change US history?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 04:00 PM
link   
a reply to: TXTriker

That's awful.

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Watching a live broadcast out of Dallas that is going to reporter down in Houston. People have come out with any boat or jet ski they can bring and are going into the neighborhoods to bring out anyone they can.

www.wfaa.com...
edit on 27-8-2017 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 04:25 PM
link   
a reply to: loam

The picture of the people trapped inside of the nursing home, with water up to their waists and some sitting with water up to their chests, has haunted me since I saw it. I just read that they were rescued, and I hope that's the case.

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Impressive photos at this Link.

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 04:26 PM
link   
a reply to: icanteven

Yeah. It's a very disturbing image....also very reminiscent of Katrina and some of the nursing homes impacted there.

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 04:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: icanteven

The picture of the people trapped inside of the nursing home, with water up to their waists and some sitting with water up to their chests, has haunted me since I saw it. I just read that they were rescued, and I hope that's the case.

They were. Dickinson is closer to the coast.

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 04:43 PM
link   
419 billion gallons of water have fallen in Harris county alone.

That's more than half of the daily water consumption for the entire US.

Texas flood disaster: Harvey has unloaded 9 trillion gallons of water
edit on 27-8-2017 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 05:16 PM
link   

It is but in this case there are already so many people headed in with any kind of watercraft they can bring to pull people out.

They have private folks pitching in as much as they can the National Guard is doing what it can. Emergency services are doing what they can. But this is a whole city.

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 05:20 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Exactly.

As I recall, in Katrina they prevented private citizens from helping because they called it a safety concern.

I'm so encouraged by Texas' response to this storm.

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Everyone knows what's at stake here. You take the manpower where you can get it. This is the same kind of attitude people have after a tornado. You help if you can because you never know when it could be you needing help next.

And time is of the essence now.

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 05:42 PM
link   

It's just a hurricane...

Sincerely Florida.

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 05:56 PM
link   
This looks like a new area of concern:

How Are Addicks and Barker Reservoirs Handling Hurricane Harvey?

So far, Addicks and Barker have been taking in a lot of water as Harvey continues to hurl rain down on the area. Considering the history of these two systems of dams and reservoirs built on the northwestern end of Houston, that could be cause for concern.

These systems of dams and reservoirs function as dry reservoirs, meaning the dams stay wide open and water is allowed to flow freely until the heavier rains roll in...

The dams are designed to hold about 410,000 acre-feet of water, but 20 inches of rain amounts to more than 1.8 million acre-feet of water, and so far, Houston has received more than 22 inches of water in August 2017, making it the wettest month on record, according to the Harris County Flood Control District.

While the dams initially taking on the water, the Corps made it clear that if Barker or Addicks rose to a certain level they would release the water rather than risk losing either dam entirely.

edit on 27-8-2017 by loam because: (no reason given)

edit on Sun Aug 27 2017 by DontTreadOnMe because: trimmed overly long quote IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Thank you for your reporting! I'm seeing more news in this thread than the Google News page.

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 06:19 PM
link   
a reply to: icanteven

Thanks. It's definitely been hard getting info from any of the national guys. Local is much better, as is social media.

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 06:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: loam
This looks like a new area of concern:

How Are Addicks and Barker Reservoirs Handling Hurricane Harvey?

This is normal as well. It happened during the last 3 floods. These aren't huge reservoirs. It will be controlled release and they are usually pretty good about warning those downstream.

We also have numerous rivers that will be cresting over the next few days. One of the worst situations was from the Brazos River cresting in a previous flood.

Messed that quote process pretty good huh?

edit on 8/27/2017 by TXTriker because: (no reason given)

edit on Sun Aug 27 2017 by DontTreadOnMe because: fixed BB code

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 06:52 PM
link   

More on the Addicks and Barker Reservoirs. Looks like they plan a release.

twitter.com...

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 07:16 PM
link   
A section of our second outer loop just collapsed. This is the feeder road and it collapsed onto the main lanes of Beltway 8.

www.facebook.com...

No reports of injuries but the roads are pretty much empty.
edit on 8/27/2017 by TXTriker because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 07:20 PM
link   
This is about 40 miles north of Houston in Brenham.

www.facebook.com...

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 07:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: TXTriker
This is about 40 miles north of Houston in Brenham.

www.facebook.com...

For those who are into college football, that would be the Blinn college that feeds a lot of football talent into the NCAA ranks when they say "near Blinn" I am guessing. Am I correct? That's the town and place the school is located around? One of our all-time best QBs, Michael Bishop played his junior college years at Blinn.

posted on Aug, 27 2017 @ 07:54 PM
link   
That's #ing emotional.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join