It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arpaio is Free

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 08:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Arizonaguy

originally posted by: windword

originally posted by: whywhynot

a reply to: matafuchs

Criminals are criminals.

Sheriff Joe Arpaio is a criminal.

Now it looks like he is not!

Wrong. A pardon can only be bestowed on a person who has been declared guilty by a Judge in a court of law. It doesn't erase the stain of guilt. It can only pardon an individual from punishment.

Wanna try again. Admission of guilt IS NOT a prerequisite for a pardon...ask Nixon

I never said an allocution was a prerequisite to a presidential pardon, but a judicial conviction is.

Under the Constitution, only federal criminal convictions, such as those adjudicated in the United States District Courts, may be pardoned by the President.
www.justice.gov...

edit on 25-8-2017 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Not personally but he was responsible for the prison system.

I am a person that puts some responsibility to the one in charge.

Personally i dont think he deserves prison, maybe a big fine. But should have been removed from office long ago.

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 08:30 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

I can agree with SOME of this. Joe ia a scummy attention whore. But I honestly believe that if there was no political capital in chasing illegals he would never have even bothered. I live here, and the man constantly found ways to get on the news. I also travel quite a bit for work, and rarely ever even learn the sheriff's name in the cities I travel to. That says a lot right there. But the whole " Joe is a racist right violator" narrative is just plain stupid.

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 08:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: defiythelie
a reply to: Trueman

Trump just proved he hates law and order and most of all HATES the Constitution.

Impeach NOW.

You sound totally antifa or at least like that lady with James Brown hairdo.

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 08:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: kosmicjack
a reply to: introvert

Agree to disagree. Pardoning a LEO who was denying people their constitutional rights and/or demanding people show their papers in the U.S.A. - is a move only Putin would be proud of. No coincidence there.

No argument from me, but there is not much, if anything, we can do.

If we agree with what Trump did, we are morally wrong and hold a position that contradicts the ideals of the constitution.

If we disagree, we are butt-hurt Leftists that are just mad because Trump did something. Period.

Not sure how we can come out ahead on this issue other than to say it was his right. We may disagree with what he did and it may contradict what the Right/Conservatives claim to stand for, but I'm not sure what else we can do.

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 08:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phonixfromtheashes

Its a incredibly ridiculous right.

Jutice should be independent from politics.

All this presidential right has done throughout history is allow powerful people to get off of crimes (many of which where treason!).

Nixon, oli North..... Manning all should be behind bars.

I would not put Alpario in the above category but think he should of got a fine and criminal record at least.

I would not disagree.

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 08:32 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

You said only aperson declared guilty could be pardoned
So tell me- what was Nixon declared guilty of?

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 08:33 PM
link   
a reply to: DanteGaland

So...I guess the best way to prove your not a racist is to PARDON a guy who arrested people illegally based on their RACE?

Says the people running around whining 'white' supremacist!

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Wish presidents didn't use that power to protect political allies. But what can we do?

Actually, that's the very reason presidential pardons were invented in the first place. Not because of some altruistic presidential urge to pardon criminals for feel good publicity, but rather the rationale was for the president to be able to pardon his political allies who may have to break the law in order to protect the goals of or the reputation of the office of the president.

It's all in the Federalists Papers.

I know.

Still sucks.

In my opinion.

link   

originally posted by: redtic

originally posted by: Trueman

I've heard that like 10 minutes ago but I was waiting for a confirmation. Well done Mr. President !

I'm really curious - why do you think this is such a good thing? Simply because you are a Trump supporter? The guy was found guilty by our justice system - if he's been wronged, he needs to go through the appeals process just like anyone else. Trump did this solely to placate his base, which seems to be his sole motivation as President of the Trump Universe. Oh, and it's nice to know this was his priority during a major natural disaster - well done Mr. President!

It's because I don't support illegal immigration. I don't know why you don't understand it.

That's a pretty weak answer. I'm pretty sure the only ones that are pro-illegal immigration are illegal immigrants. The guy broke the law, is a convicted criminal and Trump gave him a base-rallying pardon just because... well, because he's Trump. Sigh.

Illegals broke the law.

link   
All we can do is drink and pound keyboards until the cognitive dissonance is less painful.

link   

originally posted by: whywhynot

Criminals are criminals.

Sheriff Joe Arpaio is a criminal.

Now it looks like he is not!

Yes, Sheriff Joe is a criminal and always will be a criminal.

While a presidential pardon will restore various rights lost as a result of the pardoned offense and should lessen to some extent the stigma arising from a conviction, it will not erase or expunge the record of your conviction. Therefore, even if you are granted a pardon, you must still disclose your conviction on any form where such information is required, although you may also disclose the fact that you received a pardon.
www.justice.gov...

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Yes, Sheriff Joe is a criminal and always will be a criminal.

If you say so.

Joes jail was infinitely better than Mexican jail.

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 08:39 PM
link   

I think Nixon made secret deals with Elvis.

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Getting caught at something his critics perfected.

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 08:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: kosmicjack
All we can do is drink and pound keyboards until the cognitive dissonance is less painful.

We need SHEET CAKE!

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 08:42 PM
link   
For me, it finally settles a few questions I left open until all doubt was removed. I am grateful for that much. I always appreciate truth and clarity. (Besides, I really never expected to be pleasantly surprised.)

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Couldn't the court convict Arpaio again? IMO he should have appealed to the SCOTUS.

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 08:47 PM
link   

I've heard that like 10 minutes ago but I was waiting for a confirmation. Well done Mr. President !

I'm really curious - why do you think this is such a good thing? Simply because you are a Trump supporter? The guy was found guilty by our justice system - if he's been wronged, he needs to go through the appeals process just like anyone else. Trump did this solely to placate his base, which seems to be his sole motivation as President of the Trump Universe. Oh, and it's nice to know this was his priority during a major natural disaster - well done Mr. President!

It's because I don't support illegal immigration. I don't know why you don't understand it.

That's a pretty weak answer. I'm pretty sure the only ones that are pro-illegal immigration are illegal immigrants. The guy broke the law, is a convicted criminal and Trump gave him a base-rallying pardon just because... well, because he's Trump. Sigh.

Illegals broke the law.

Oh, ok - I see where you're going. You're trying to draw some equivalency between Arpaio's conviction and the fact that 11 million immigrants also broke the law. So you think that if I think Arpaio should be in jail, so should those 11 million, right? So that justifies Trump's pardon? That's some twisted logic, man.

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Illegals broke the law.

Oh, ok - I see where you're going. You're trying to draw some equivalency between Arpaio's conviction and the fact that 11 million immigrants also broke the law. So you think that if I think Arpaio should be in jail, so should those 11 million, right? So that justifies Trump's pardon? That's some twisted logic, man.

Nope. I don't want those 11 million in jail. Not all of them are bad people. Many of them are hard workers who deserve an opportunity. Sadly, a great part of them not even want to learn English.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join