It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arpaio is Free

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 08:11 PM
link   
We may not like how Trump used his powers to pardon people, but it is his right as the president.

I could have thought of a myriad of better ways to use that power and a number of other people that would have served society better with such a pardon, but, again, it is his right.

Wish presidents didn't use that power to protect political allies. But what can we do?

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 08:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: whywhynot

originally posted by: windword
a reply to: matafuchs

Criminals are criminals.

Sheriff Joe Arpaio is a criminal.

Now it looks like he is not!

Wrong. A pardon can only be bestowed on a person who has been declared guilty by a Judge in a court of law. It doesn't erase the stain of guilt. It can only pardon an individual from punishment.

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 08:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Trueman

Trump just proved he hates law and order and most of all HATES the Constitution.

Impeach NOW.
edit on 25-8-2017 by defiythelie because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Well this proves that Trump only cares about the rights of certain groups. Minority rights are not an issue for him, let people like Joe abuse their power to screw over Mexican Americans by randomly stopping them for being Mexican and assuming they are illegals.

One more nail in Trump's re election coffin. I wonder if he knows there are more to Americans than his base of white nationalists, neo-Nazi's and white people in general.

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 08:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: whywhynot

a reply to: matafuchs

Criminals are criminals.

Sheriff Joe Arpaio is a criminal.

Now it looks like he is not!

Wrong. A pardon can only be bestowed on a person who has been declared guilty by a Judge in a court of law. It doesn't erase the stain of guilt. It can only pardon an individual from punishment.

Wanna try again. Admission of guilt IS NOT a prerequisite for a pardon...ask Nixon

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 08:15 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

Agree to disagree. Pardoning a LEO who was denying people their constitutional rights and/or demanding people show their papers in the U.S.A. - is a move only Putin would be proud of. No coincidence there.

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Its a incredibly ridiculous right.

Jutice should be independent from politics.

All this presidential right has done throughout history is allow powerful people to get off of crimes (many of which where treason!).

Nixon, oli North..... Manning all should be behind bars.

I would not put Alpario in the above category but think he should of got a fine and criminal record at least.
edit on 25-8-2017 by Phonixfromtheashes because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-8-2017 by Phonixfromtheashes because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 08:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: defiythelie

Trump just proved he hates law and order and most of all HATES the Constitution.

Impeach NOW.

Cant impeach as it was Trumps right.....even if its a stupid right.

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 08:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phonixfromtheashes
As for guards getting sentenced? Hahaha dont be stupid, in the USA and its "justice" system , no one in authority be it politicians, police or prison guards go to jail.....

The multitude of results found from Googling "prison inmate sentenced inmate abuse" proves that you're wrong. It happens often... just not in cases where inmate abuse from guards didn't happen, like the Maricopa County Jail.

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Racist and hypocrite with one clap. Winning!

Excellent, people should start breaking laws en masse to follow the example of their Beheaded Leader in charge.

#Disobey

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 08:20 PM
link   
It's Bush's fault!

(hey, it worked for Obama)

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Wish presidents didn't use that power to protect political allies. But what can we do?

Actually, that's the very reason presidential pardons were invented in the first place. Not because of some altruistic presidential urge to pardon criminals for feel good publicity, but rather the rationale was for the president to be able to pardon his political allies who may have to break the law in order to protect the goals of or the reputation of the office of the president.

It's all in the Federalists Papers.

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 08:21 PM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

He was pardoned for being found in contempt of an activist judge, who... for what it's worth, was also the judge who found him in contempt. Conflict of interest? Trial by jury part of the Constitution, too? Checks and balances? Within the judicial system? What are those?

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 08:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

originally posted by: Phonixfromtheashes
As for guards getting sentenced? Hahaha dont be stupid, in the USA and its "justice" system , no one in authority be it politicians, police or prison guards go to jail.....

The multitude of results found from Googling "prison inmate sentenced inmate abuse" proves that you're wrong. It happens often... just not in cases where inmate abuse from guards didn't happen, like the Maricopa County Jail.

A Court obviously disagrees with you as they paid the family of the dead man money.

Personally i will believe a court over you.....no offence

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 08:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: kosmicjack

Agree to disagree. Pardoning a LEO who was denying people their constitutional rights and/or demanding people show their papers in the U.S.A. - is a move only Putin would be proud of. No coincidence there.

That's not what happened. Joe never denied anybody their rights, and it's perfectly legal to ask for both ID and immigration status in a lawful stop. The issue raised for the original lawsuit that prompted the desist order was that he disproportionately targeted Hispanics.

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 08:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman

originally posted by: redtic

originally posted by: Trueman
I've heard that like 10 minutes ago but I was waiting for a confirmation. Well done Mr. President !

I'm really curious - why do you think this is such a good thing? Simply because you are a Trump supporter? The guy was found guilty by our justice system - if he's been wronged, he needs to go through the appeals process just like anyone else. Trump did this solely to placate his base, which seems to be his sole motivation as President of the Trump Universe. Oh, and it's nice to know this was his priority during a major natural disaster - well done Mr. President!

It's because I don't support illegal immigration. I don't know why you don't understand it.

That's a pretty weak answer. I'm pretty sure the only ones that are pro-illegal immigration are illegal immigrants. The guy broke the law, is a convicted criminal and Trump gave him a base-rallying pardon just because... well, because he's Trump. Sigh.

link   

originally posted by: Christosterone
Dear American Progressives,

Please remind me why liberals mad about Arapaio following American law..

Thanks in advance for your answers...

****disclaimer:
If you are triggered by Trumps pardon then I hope you have access to a safe space where your delicate feelings can be expressed and where puppies, cereal, and pajamas abound....

-Chris

Actually he wasn't following the law. Jesus this thread is a depressing statement to why so many people actually support Trump and it has nothing to do with professed values.

Why don't you tell me which American law he was following?

Because what he did was to instruct his deputies to violate Constitutional rights. You know, that Constitution that you lot claim to care so much about when you're blabbering about the 2A but are often, otherwise ignorant of?

What he did was violate a court order to "enforce" an AZ law that was itself was an overreach of the powers of Congress by the AZ legislature as ruled by SCOTUS.

Joe Arpaio is a scummy attention whoring douche bag who is skating because the POTUS is a scummy douche bag crony.

Tell us how he's draining the swamp.

Tell us all how much you bunch care about the rule of law.

Tell us all how Trump and his cult aren't the divisive ones as you celebrate this corrupt behavior because it "triggers liberals." What's next? Are you gonna run some left-wing protestors over and then come yammer about "the violent left?"

You feign outrage at fake news about "Democrats threatening to shutdown the government" and cheer when Trump actually does it. You blather mindlessly about "globalists." You spend years being alarmed about the deficit and cheer while Trump promises to spend more and more money on vanity projects and feeding the military industrial complex.
edit on 2017-8-25 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: PublicOpinion

Racist and hypocrite with one clap. Winning!

Excellent, people should start breaking laws en masse to follow the example of their Beheaded Leader in charge.

#Disobey

You Larpers are so much fun to play with!

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 08:26 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

You lost me at the Alt-Right dog whistle of "Activist Judge". Either court rulings mean something or they don't. We are still, for now at least, a country that maintains civility due to the rule of law, no matter how hard Trump might ignore them. Of course this might be the day that goes down in the history books that it all started unraveling.

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 08:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Phonixfromtheashes

Did Sheriff Joe kill someone? No. I never said I like dirty cops either. In fact many posts to the opposite but like ANY job there are bad people.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join