It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arpaio is Free

page: 20
<< 17  18  19    21  22 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 08:01 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

How do you know who to ask for papers? How can you, in your America, tell who to ask for papers and who to let walk on by and just leave alone?
edit on 30-8-2017 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 09:50 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

People have tells. nervousness around officers or officials of any type. sudden change of directio. Alot of subtly things.

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 10:09 PM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

In my America, Citizens have rights and respect. Non citizen criminal illegal aliens are not entitled to such luxury

So, in your America people who have nervous ticks, or are nervous around law enforcement officers are not entitled to rights or respect?

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 10:12 PM
link   
It takes a Latino to know Latino. Arpaio is Italian, that's Latin. He knows who are the bad Mexicans.

posted on Aug, 30 2017 @ 10:19 PM
link   
a reply to: tannerc

LOL, Latin is a dead language that Italian Christians adopted as a sacred language.

"Latin American" are all the countries south of the US border, including Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay,
Peru, Uruguay and Venezuela.

No Italy!

edit on 30-8-2017 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 04:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: buckfutwell
a reply to: Spider879

In my America, Citizens have rights and respect. Non citizen criminal illegal aliens are not entitled to such luxury

Yeah but he was jacking up law abiding American citizens going about their business, and let me repeat he, was told by the court that his actions were unconstitutional and to STOP!!..
It's not like they just showed up and decide to prosecute him with out prior warning.
But big bad Joe a lawman had no use for laws.
Baah screw the courts said he.

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

There is no proof Arpaio did racial profiling. If you are Latino and he stops you and asks for ID, that is not proof of racial profiling. A law enforcement officer has every right to stop anyone and ask for ID.

If you are Latino and he stops you and interns you without suspecting anything, then you have a point to sue him. But stopping you and asking for ID, you don't have a point to sue him.
edit on 31-8-2017 by tannerc because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 11:04 AM
link   

There is no proof Arpaio did racial profiling.

The courts and over $100 million paid out in wrongful arrest lawsuits says there is proof.

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Except both the DoJ and a court of law stated that the MCSO was racially profiling members of the public. That seems like pretty damning proof. If you want specific examples...

One specific incident comes immediately to mind. A car gets pulled over in a seemingly routine traffic stop. However, once the officer gets to the car they don't ask the driver for their license and registration. Instead they asked the Latino passenger for their ID. Since he wasn't driving he didn't have it on him. At which point the deputy arrested the man while letting the driver go without even so much as a warning.

So, explain to us how that is not racial profiling. Clearly the only crime the deputy was trying to enforce was "Being a passenger (not even driving) while brown."

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

Im white and had to go with a cop for not having my ID on me a time or two. No charges but still they verified my Information then let me go.

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 11:47 AM
link   

If Latinos don't want to be racially profiled, they should speak to their brethren in Mexico and tell them not to come to America illegally. Arizona, Nevada, Florida, California, Texas, New Mexico are American land by war. They are no longer Spanish lands. Mexicans should not try to take them back by illegal immigration.

If you go to any other country, including Canada and Australia, every cop is like Arpaio. Illegals are not found in any other country because they have strong law enforcement against illegals. Only in America are people generous to illegals and allow them to come to America by the tens of millions and live there.

Arpaio is just a regular cop in Canada. Only in America is he considered a racist bigot.

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

Did the officer just "randomly" pull you over or stop you and ask for your ID with no provocation?

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 11:56 AM
link   

So then you retract your previous statement that the MCSO were not employing illegal racial profiling techniques?

Also, everyone I know from Canada that are familiar with Arpaio are horrified that such a man could not only not be in jail but be in a position of power for years.

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 11:57 AM
link   

You cannot prove racial profiling. Even if every person stopped for ID by Arpaio is a black person, it doesn't prove racial profiling. Cops have the right to stop anyone for ID. It's part of their powers.

Here in Canada there are no illegals because cops arrest them all, not like America where they can live without harassment. Here in Canada people are required to show ID to prove citizenship before they are allowed to vote, not like in America where anyone can vote.

Canada is far more strict than America in terms of law. If you come to Canada you will understand what I mean.
edit on 31-8-2017 by tannerc because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Last time I checked police are required to have probable cause to detain someone. Last time I checked being Latino/Black/etc is not probable cause.

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Is there proof he detained people without suspecting them?

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 01:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa

Im white and had to go with a cop for not having my ID on me a time or two. No charges but still they verified my Information then let me go.

Yeah yeah ..but but you are "white" or white looking, you are not walking in another man's moccasins, you are walking in your own shoes.

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Well there's that whole anecdote we were just talking about...

If you want something else though I'll direct your attention to Ortega Melendres v. Apraio. Specifically the appeal. This case was suit brought against the MCSO claiming they were employing unconstitutional techniques that targeted Hispanics, with a specific emphasis on the MCSO's "saturation patrols." In the end the court found in favor of the plaintiff.

After, the MCSO attempted to appeal the decision (Spoiler: They lost.) Now they weren't appealing the decision because they disagreed with the judge. They were appealing because they thought the judge was too broad in their decision. See, the judge ruled that the MCSO needed to look at all of their techniques and revise them to fit within the law. The MCSO argued that only their saturation patrols were unconstitutional; and that since those were the focus of the case that should be the only area the judge's decision should apply.

The MCSO came out and said that had used unconstitutional profiling tactics.

It's much like Arpaio's recent plight. He actually plead guilty in civil court to contempt. It was only the federal charge that he fought.

If you want to brush up on the topic here are the court documents from Ortega Melendres v. Arpaio and United States v. Maricopa County.

Melendres Ortega v. Arpaio
United States v. Maricopa County

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 04:07 PM
link   

"The occupant of the White House has claimed the power to permit government agents to violate the Constitutional rights of Americans and to override the courts if he doesn't like what they're doing. This is the largest single step toward autocracy Trump has taken."

Excerpt quote: "A Hurricane of Conservative Hypocrisy" - by EJ. Dionne - The Washington Post - Wednesday, August 30, 2017

posted on Aug, 31 2017 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Arpaio was elected sheriff six times. Couldn't have been a bad sheriff. He is considered a racist bigot in America but not in any other country where cops strictly enforce immigration laws.

new topics

top topics

<< 17  18  19    21  22 >>

join