It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When is the Catholic Church Going to Allow Priests To Marry?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by LadyV

Originally posted by Mynaeris
Honestly, there is no problem with celibacy and priesthood.

I never said there was a "problem" with it...only "why"...as it is not required by your god......though there seems to be some type of problem here, as many seem to be getting release in the abusing of children...surely it should be an option and not mandatory.

I agree with you. Making a vow with God and not keeping it seems to be a good reason not to be a priest. I don' t see any reason why priests shouldn't be married, not that I see this helping in anyway as pedophilia and homosexuality will surely not be solved through this. The church would also have to condone homosexuality if this is to be a viable option. I think if priests and nuns are going to have families maybe they should praise God like the rest of us on a part time basis. Personally I would love to devote my life to God and receive a salary for doing so, and then go home at the end of the day and spend time with my main squeeze? Who would you have these people marry? nuns? or maybe they could marry the nice jewish girl down the road? The whole concept of priesthood and becoming a nun was flawed from the start. But like becoming a Buddhist monk its a choice and when you feel you can no longer live by your vows to God of chastity and poverty, then it is your duty to leave.

[edit on 10-2-2005 by Mynaeris]

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zabilgy
Argue the point like a man...not like a little boy that
doesn't get his way and goes home crying to his mommy!

I'm a girl you INFANT. THIS IS WHAT YOU SAID about men who
aren't allowed to get married in the priesthood - YOUR QUOTE -

'But instead, their sexual frustrations come
out in very bad ways such as molesting and
raping altar boys. '

You then edited your post twice. TWICE, after Nygdan
pointed out the fact that heterosexual men don't become
gay, and further, dont' become gay pedophiles just because
they can't get married.

YOU are a liar.

The whole point of a thread is to discuss and learn. You just
started this to spout uneducated anti-Catholic garbage. Links
have been provided by me to educate you on what exactly
the Catholic church believes and why. You obviously haven't
bothered to go read them.
As stated, this is a waste of
time. It isn't 'take my ball and go home' ... it's a waste of time
arguing with someone who lies and spouts like a two year old.
I have better things to do with my time ... and do them with
better people. Again. You lied. This thread is a waste.

Spout all you want. I, being a grown up, won't be back to
watch you hold your breath and stomp your feet. It's comical,
but pathetic.

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 08:27 AM
link   

I'm a girl you INFANT. THIS IS WHAT YOU SAID about men who
aren't allowed to get married in the priesthood - YOUR QUOTE -

'But instead, their sexual frustrations come
out in very bad ways such as molesting and
raping altar boys. '

Listen...you took this out of context, prior to this statement I said that the preisthood, because priests aren't allowed to marry, attracts perverts and homosexuals and THEIR FRUSTRATIONS come out in bad ways.....Dont' call me a liar. You are trying to cover your lie by taking my words out of context. And I'm curious why you'd bother? What benefit do you get out of it? Why do you feel the need to trash me? And you tell me I don't know what I'm talking about? You dont' even know me. I went to school for Theology among other things. I've done more research on this than I care to share with you.

Argue the points I'm making, don't create lies in my posts and then argue your created lies...that just makes you look shallow and superficial and, pardon the expression, ignorant!

And you called me an infant?

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Magnerias......you say you're sick of people talking about Jesus being married after the "DaVinci Code." I believed this way before that book came out. There's been debate over this for a very long time and Dan Brown just used it in his book. Do you think this is his theory? The oldest book I've read on the subject was written in 1970...and the truly oldest book that has references to it is the Bible......

So, if I decide to post that I believe Jesus was married, don't tell me to get off the subject. I have a right to my opinion and a right to express it...that's what this forum is for. If you disagree, then disagree...but don't try to control me.

[edit on 10-2-2005 by Zabilgy]

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Magnerias......you say you're sick of people talking about Jesus being married after the "DaVinci Code." I believed this way before that book came out.

Very true! I can vouch for this one. It has been discussed and theorized for many years.....the book "The DeVinci Code" only brought to the generalized public....people always spouting off without doing their homework!

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 08:40 AM
link   
YOUHOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AM i invisible or you don't want to answer because I'm probably right!
Shoot all the arguments and pieces of the bible, that won't change a thing NOW! Do you understand that?!?!

I HAVE ONE QUESTION FOR YOU!!!!!!

What will it change in your everyday life if tomorrow, priest can get married?! What will you do?! When you wake-up in the morning, are going to freak out because of that and think about it all day? Are you going to start a revolution or what? There are so so many thing much more important than that!

Look at you all fighting for religion beleifs, is religion suppose to be about love, respect and faith....totally absurd....

Ameliaxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
still I send you love dear ones

[edit on 10/2/05 by Amelia]

[edit on 10/2/05 by Amelia]

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Magnerias......you say you're sick of people talking about Jesus being married after the "DaVinci Code." I believed this way before that book came out. There's been debate over this for a very long time and Dan Brown just used it in his book. Do you think this is his theory? The oldest book I've read on the subject was written in 1970...and the truly oldest book that has references to it is the Bible......

So, if I decide to post that I believe Jesus was married, don't tell me to get off the subject. I have a right to my opinion and a right to express it...that's what this forum is for. If you disagree, then disagree...but don't try to control me.

[edit on 10-2-2005 by Zabilgy]

Yawn! You should start your own message board as you seem happiest arguing with everybody that posts anything contrary to your beliefs. However be that as it may - 1970 is hardly biblical in timeframe, and you would have to show me the bible texts that "prove" your statement. Maybe you have an alternate bible? Or maybe the catholics burnt the real one , that only you and Dan Brown have a copy of. Maybe you can analyze the Mona Lisa together and find clues to the exact location of God and the garden of eden??? I also would recommend learning to spell my screen name if you intend to attack me.

Jesus was not married. simple.

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Amelia.....not trying to ignore you. What you said was what will preists marrying do to change my life? It will just make me feel that a wrong has been righted. I believe it is wrong to deny any mortal human being thier sexual urges. It's not the dark ages anymore. I would also feel more confident that slowly, the perverts and freaks would get weeded out of the preisthood and replaced by more normal individuals. It sickens me all the young boys that have been molested and scarred for life and again, some have comitted suicide.

I will be comforted by the fact that a change has been put in place that will help greatly decrease a serious problem that has been going on in the Catholic church far too long!

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 09:00 AM
link   

I went to school for Theology among other things. I've done more research on this than I care to share with you.

Did you get a BA or BS?
Just a joke.

Seriously though, caring to share the research would be helpful for this subject to get anywhere.

So far it's an opinion battle leaning towards a brewing personality war. That will stop or this thread will.

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Mygneris...this is your opinion and you have a right to you opinion as do I. My opininion is Jesus was a mortal prophet and was married to Mary Magdeline....Are you going to keep trashing me until I agree with you? Sounds kind of silly doesn't it??

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Mygneris...this is your opinion and you have a right to you opinion as do I. My opininion is Jesus was a mortal prophet and was married to Mary Magdeline....Are you going to keep trashing me until I agree with you? Sounds kind of silly doesn't it??

You said you had biblical proof of his being married. Show me from the scriptures. No problem. You lay a lot of emphasis on sex. Indicates adollescence to me.

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Rant.....I posted 4 books earlier in this thread that discuss the topic....and their are many more. This thread was not about whether Jesus was married, it is about "Why aren't priests allowed to marry"....the Jesus being married thing is a bit off the topic.....

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Rant.....I posted 4 books earlier in this thread that discuss the topic....and their are many more. This thread was not about whether Jesus was married, it is about "Why aren't priests allowed to marry"....the Jesus being married thing is a bit off the topic.....

That's cool. Was just asking everyone to take a more civil and less personal tone. Not just you.

Discussing "third party" (research type) perspectives as opposed to personal opinion tends to help diffuse things and keep it more objective is all. In matters of opinion, we all just have to agree to disagree.

I'm not stepping in. Just offering a reminder.

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 09:22 AM
link   

You lay a lot of emphasis on sex. Indicates adollescence to me.

What are you talking about? I lay emphasis on sex? Where? And what the hell does that mean? What do you have some vendetta against me or something? I don't even know you....Does my belief that Jesus was married have you this crazed at me.?.....seems a bit bizarre!

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 09:36 AM
link   

The story of Mary with the alabaster jar anointing the feet of Jesus is cited by some scholars as the most direct witness to their marriage. It is in all four Gospels and was a story in which Jesus gave express command that it be preserved. This ceremony was an ancient one among many royal houses in the ancient world, which sealed the marital union between the king and his priestess spouse. We find it mentioned briefly in the Song of Solomon. Although we may not understand its significance, Jesus and Mary knew exactly what they were doing. To be the valid Messiah, He had to be anointed first by the Bride. They were by-passing the corrupt Jewish establishment.

This comes from: www.grailchurch.org...

It will take me some work to find the actual scriptures, as I am at work, not at home.....but if it will make everyone happy....I will provide them. Of course they are open to interpretation and everyone has the right to interpret them as they will. And everyone will interpret them to fit their own beliefs.....thus, the double edged sword. I can post many scriptures that I believe proves Jesus and Mary to be married and anyone can come along an interpret them differently.

Bottom line. I have my beliefs and my faith....and others have theirs. And quoting scripture isn't going to change anything......

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 09:59 AM
link   
I wasn't ignoring, just didn't think it applied to me but I'll give it a go:

Originally posted by Amelia
What will it change in your everyday life if tomorrow, priest can get married?!

Nothing. I'm not catholic.

What will you do?! When you wake-up in the morning, are going to freak out because of that and think about it all day?

If I were catholic, then I wouldn't worry as Matthew 6:25 says not to and it's not against the Book from what I can see.

Are you going to start a revolution or what? There are so so many thing much more important than that!

Huzzah!

Look at you all fighting for religion beleifs, is religion suppose to be about love, respect and faith....totally absurd....

Ameliaxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
still I send you love dear ones

I'm down wit it.

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by SourGrapes
Jewish custom (back in the day of Jesus) required that ALL Rabis marry. Men who were not married were considered 'low life', and a curse to the Jewish church. Jesus may not have been a 'perfect' Jew (in the eyes of the Jewish society), but his parents were. It is said in the bible that Mary and Joseph obeyed ALL laws regarding the church. Since the Jewish culture had arranged marriages and boys were considered 'of age to marry' at 16, what makes you think that Mary and Joseph would not have complied?

Thanks SourGrapes for presenting a common sense approach as well as supporting conclussions (that I didn't re-quote here) of the culture during the times. I enjoyed reading your post and the responses to it and am still siding with the notion that the Bible didn't just 'leave out' this detail. Jesus always seemed to be a rebel in culture and church tradition so it's not a stretch for me to think he would do something different than everybody else of his day. The Pharisee priests had ways of finding out info and using it to their best advantage in their confrontations with him. I'm sure this would've been brought up either as a public challenge, trial or blackmail by somebody in the day as to why the Son of God had need for a spouse and offspring. In fact, wouldn't it be easier to continue the message of God if you trained a son/daughter to do so? Things just don't seem to add up in my perspective to where it would makes sense for him to have a wife. It seems more like a tool to say he had selfish, lusty ways which is exactly what he was teaching against. Again though, appreciate the candid and composed manner you'd presented your post.

[edit on 10-2-2005 by saint4God]

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mynaeris

Where in the Bible does it say that Jesus was not married? Since there is more evidence he was married, rather than not, you should show proof that he was not married. I've yet to see where in the Bible it states that Jesus was not married. Where is it?

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 11:05 AM
link   
It says nowhere that they were not married. There are many places where it is implied that they were married....and the fact that it's implied is where the debate comes from....Those that believe they are married believe what we believe and those that believe that they weren't married will believe that and interpret the implications in the Bible the way they want......I'm not going to try and PROVE my belief to anyone. I believe what I believe and you believe what you want.

The topic of this thread was "Why aren't priests allowed to marry??" Can we get back on that topic??

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 11:19 AM
link   

The topic of this thread was "Why aren't priests allowed to marry??" Can we get back on that topic??

I think it's relative. Many people will argue that Priests take a vow similar to Jesus and live a life of abstinence, also similar to Jesus. Well if it is true that Jesus was not celibate, and was married, then Priests should be allowed to marry. No? In other words, if the son of God can do his work for God while having a wife and family, then Priests should be able to handle the same.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join