It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Instead of Worrying About Statues

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Instead of worrying about statues maybe you should be worried about the fact that you're being used by the white supremacists. I originally intended for this thread to be directed to the Alt-Right members of this board. The more I thought about it however I realized that this sentiment also applies to the Leftists. This post from the UTR chat room is what led to this current thread:

The Confederate flag is THE BEST optics because it’s beloved by legions of Southerners who are on the doorstep of becoming just like us if we can move them beyond ‘heritage not hate.

To the Right: The icons you claim are symbols pf heritage and not hate are being co-opted by White Supremacist groups. This is why these symbols now have such a stigma against them. Yet you have done nothing to speak out against these actions. You have allowed the extreme right to take these symbols and turn them in to symbols of hate. In much the same way many of you claim that your average Muslim needs to decry extremists when they use their heritage for hateful acts you too need to do the same.

Not only that you need to disassociate yourself from the extreme right. Too many times I've seen over the past few weeks that a user will spend pages deflecting before saying off-handily, "Of course we all think Nazis are terrible..." What happened in Charlottesville is a good example of this. By all accounts this was originally supposed to be a rally for the populist sect of the Alt-Right. However, as soon as it became clear that the supremacists were going to come as well the populists just bailed. While its obvious the populists don't support the supremacists it's also clear they don't want to alienate them.

Stop being played by the extreme Right. They are co-opting your symbols and they are co-opting your causes. You need to stand up to them and make it clear they don't represent you. They may turn on you, but isn't that better than standing shoulder to shoulder with Nazis?

To the Left: I get that a lot of these statues and flags were raised as protests to the Civil Rights Movement. I also get that it makes no sense for a self-proclaimed Patriot to place great value in traitorous iconography. That said, there are many that believe these are symbols of their heritage. That's why the extreme Right has adopted them. They hope to draw in these people that are on the fence. As long as these symbols are targets for destruction the white supremacists will act as their defenders. And that will only draw more people to their cause.

Instead of going for outright destruction, meet these people halfway. The argument against removing these statues is that it also removes history. So alter these existent statues to truly depict history. Take that soldier and build a new statue next to it that has him marching arm in arm with a Nazi stormtrooper. Or take that statue of a general and have him overseeing a lynching. If what these people truly care about is depicting history in an accurate light then they should have no problem with these changes. If what they really care about is white washing the crimes and glorifying a traitorous failure of a nation then at least we'll know who those people are.

To All: Don't worry about statues and flags. They are merely things. By focusing on them all you are doing is swelling the ranks of one of the most repugnant groups of people on the planet. Both sides need to come together and tell this scum, "Never again," instead of being used by them.

IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS
MOD NOTE: Posting work written by others
edit on Fri Aug 25 2017 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I'm here to see who identifies as "Alt-Right"

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 02:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

But only one side is using a subjective measurement....

The other one is using facts and history...

Every argument to keep the staues of traitors on the government property of the very country they betrayed, is an emotional, subjective argument...

The argument to remove them is just like you said , treason and the majority were specifically an FU to civil rights..

Those are not subjective.. those are verifiable facts..

You can't base policy on ea subjective emotional "snowflake " argument...

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Instead of worrying about statues maybe you should be worried about the fact that you're being used by the white supremacists.

I think people should worry they've been acting like this:

Some people don't want to speak,hear or see anything evil.

But that's not real life people.

It isn't.

That's called living an extremely sheltered existence.

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 02:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Butterfinger

I'd love to be. It sounds so exciting!

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 02:40 PM
link   

That said I get your point about effectiveness...

What actually works best..

I feel the same when it comes to ghetto names..

On one hand what your parents name you shouldn't hurt your career or future, but the reality is if you make up some crazy polisha type name. Your child will get half as many call backs on applications and will be stereo typed constantly as a hood rat..

That said ignoring those types of things is how they have propagandized the "lost cause " crowd..

If they hadn't been lying and glorifying the confederacy for the past century, we wouldn't have this problem...

If people actually knew the history , the good ones wouldn't feel that way.. leaving only the anti American white supremacists..

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Then why do the likes of you(not you directly, just for the record) go around, beat people up and destroy statues which are a part of a long history?

Don't you realize you're being used by anarchists, communists, and fascists? And the mainstream media too?
edit on 541k2017Fridaypm014 by Nikola014 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Alt-right gay racist neo Nazi white supremacist burrito loving cross burning sushi eating sandwich maker Canadian born immigrant checking in.

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Yea, you are right, keep giving them the attention they crave and take down statues, and tear down flags. Never mind that you, not anyone else who blubbers about taking down statues can say why that statue offended them, how that statue hurt them.

It wouldn't even make sense to just ignore the asshole bigots and let them play with themselves.

Good luck with your oppression Comrade.

link   

Instead of worrying about statues maybe you should be worried about the fact that you're being used by the white supremacists.

Instead of worrying about white supremacists maybe you should be worried about the fact you are being used by the media.

Same shiz, different point of view,

link   
So we know the Hitler/Nazi/Fascist Machine killed more "Whites" than any other entity in history, but the Nazis and Fascists are "White Supremacists".

Real head scratcher not to mention a total Left Wing -- Democrat tactical failure.

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 02:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: knowledgehunter0986
Alt-right gay racist neo Nazi white supremacist burrito loving cross burning sushi eating sandwich maker Canadian born immigrant checking in.

I challenge the "burrito" comment !!

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 02:44 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

So we know the Hitler/Nazi/Fascist Machine killed more "Whites" than any other entity in history, but the Nazis and Fascists are "White Supremacists".

We've known for quite sometime their logic has been devoid of any.

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Butterfinger

Dirty Little Secrets !!

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 02:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: knowledgehunter0986

English..(I have to stop here because being English makes me perfect by birth).

I also love burritos. Sushi sucks though.

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 02:46 PM
link   

PS moving the statues from court houses and parks to a museum or private property is in no way erasing history...

It is a bs talking point , deflection and logical fallacy when they pretend "the left" (aka anyone not conservative enough) is trying to destroy all the statues and change all the history books...

Which no one with ANY athority has ever ever said..

It is the "They are comming to get your guns!!"

When no one has ever proposed that and no law enforcement body would ever do it..

The exact same as the civil war..

"They are comming to get your slaves and make your daughters marry them!!"

When Lincoln had zero desire to do that.

Southerners fall for the same tired BS over and over..

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 02:47 PM
link   

I think the best monument should be erected in honor of all governments worldwide.

They should name it "The Statue of Limitations".

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 02:47 PM
link   

OK, you got me.. I haven't had a burrito in years, but apparently because I have no problem with the Mexican flag, I am now a burrito lover.

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Yea.... because the Jews weren't considered white until after WW2...

Still aren't to every single white supremacists group today..
edit on 25-8-2017 by JoshuaCox because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 02:51 PM
link   

In much the same way many of you claim that your average Muslim needs to decry extremists when they use their heritage for hateful acts you too need to do the same.

So your looking for people telling you something you already know. That's self evident.

Confirmation bias.

Seems rather superfluous to me.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join