It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nuclear Plant in Harvey's Bullseye

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 01:27 PM
link   
A comment on an article informed me that there is a Nuclear Power Plant (South Texas Project Nuclear Plant) is in the direct path of Hurrican Harvey. The plant is 'supposed' to shut down when rains reach 75 miles per hour. Even if shut down there could be problems with 'contanment' and other damage issues. Then there is the 'concern' about the Trump administrations ability to deal with the aftermath.

Link to map of the location of the plant (with the hope it works):

It didn't work as I'd hoped so i'm removing the link - Just google STP Nuclear and you can find a map.

It does say the plant is 'shut down today' perhaps they acted proactively (one hopes).

The comment by AdelhNull can be found:

commons.commondreams.org...

The article titled: "With Trump in Charge Heightened Fears of a Hurricane Harvey Petrochemical Nightmare"

www.commondreams.org...

edit on 25-8-2017 by FyreByrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

Here are portions of the article that AlephNull referenced in their comment:

miningawareness.wordpress.com...

The lead:

Hurricane Harvey’s forecast track targets a two reactor nuclear power station called the South Texas Project (STP). An internal US NRC memo leaked to the public (see below) classified it as being High on Dam Hazard Vulnerability due to the cooling pond, though they probably mean the Main Cooling Reservoir.

Apparently:

The most significant event is the loss of offsite power, a problem that can lead to a “station blackout.”

Which poses the most danger to the public.

Definition and potential consequences of 'station blackout':

When offsite AC power is lost due to electrical grid failure, reactors are designed to automatically switch over to required backup emergency diesel generators. These are locomotive-size, fuel-guzzling generators that provide enough power to operate a narrower but basic set of reactor safety systems. Each reactor unit is required to have at least two emergency diesel generators onsite. Should these backup generators fail due to overheating, mechanical failure or the fouling of the diesel fuel, etc. a smaller subset of vital reactor cooling instrumentation and control systems would rely upon power from large on-site battery banks. The failure of both onsite and offsite AC power supplies result in the condition known as station blackout. According to the NRC safety study, a station blackout leads to battery depletion after approximately 4 hours and sets in motion a time table where “approximately 3 hours beyond battery depletion was allowed for the restoration of AC power before core uncovery would occur.” Uncovering of the reactor core of cooling water would lead to a meltdown of the extremely hot and radioactive nuclear fuel.

miningawareness.wordpress.com...

So let us hope that preventative maintenance has been rigorously performed and the conditions are not too extreme.

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 01:38 PM
link   

+1 more 
posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Where as I appreciate the information regarding the nuke plant, something I was unaware of...wth we are already gearing up to blame Trump if something does happen?

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 01:53 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I'm glad you brought this up, OP. Texas has a massive amount of coastal land and they do get hit by hurricanes often enough that this should have been included in the design of the plant. So unless another Stuxnet virus was carried in by a contractor and put in the main system to sabotage it, hopefully it will shut down as it was designed to do. Trying to remain hopeful here......

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 02:03 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 02:09 PM
link   

FEMA already has 500k sandbags in place, 306k meals and 96k liters of water. National Guard has 700 soldiers called up in preparation, there are mandatory and voluntary evacuations in place etc...

What else can be done in your opinion? Do you honestly think ANYONE Trump included wpuld not jump and put any and all resources available if the worst case occurs?

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 02:16 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

It's like people want to forget that a large part of the Katrina debacle rested on the shoulders of incompetent and corrupt local government as much as any other factor.

You can't order in the National Guard unless the governor calls them in.

You can't evacuate people if the mayor doesn't mobilize his own city resources to do it.

But, hey, they were Democrats and it was all Bush's fault.

Lucky for Texas, they don't suffer from Democrat disease at all levels.

As for the nuke plant, Trump has nothing to do with its approval, planning, construction, etc.
edit on 25-8-2017 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 02:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: FyreByrd
A comment on an article informed me that there is a Nuclear Power Plant (South Texas Project Nuclear Plant) is in the direct path of Hurrican Harvey. The plant is 'supposed' to shut down when rains reach 75 miles per hour. Even if shut down there could be problems with 'contanment' and other damage issues. Then there is the 'concern' about the Trump administrations ability to deal with the aftermath.

Link to map of the location of the plant (with the hope it works):

It didn't work as I'd hoped so i'm removing the link - Just google STP Nuclear and you can find a map.

It does say the plant is 'shut down today' perhaps they acted proactively (one hopes).

The comment by AdelhNull can be found:

commons.commondreams.org...

The article titled: "With Trump in Charge Heightened Fears of a Hurricane Harvey Petrochemical Nightmare"

www.commondreams.org...

You make it sound like nuclear power plants are fragile eggs... they're not. Also it's hard to take you serious already blaming the president, as well as all the spelling/grammatical errors.

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Yeah I remember that Governor.

I forget the name but it sounded about right for her attitude.

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 02:36 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Mary Landrieu I think. There's a Landrieu as mayor of New Orleans now.

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 02:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket

Where as I appreciate the information regarding the nuke plant, something I was unaware of...wth we are already gearing up to blame Trump if something does happen?

I don't believe the intent is to blame Trump - the intent is to question, as was done during the Bush administration, the preparedness of the administration to handle a disaster of this magnitude.

I find it very telling that your deep-felt concern is for Trump and his entourage rather then your fellow citizens who are facing the loss of homes and livelihoods.

This is a proper role of the Federal Government - to step in with funds, equipment, manpower, expertise at short notice to ensure the wellbeing of citizens in States that are overwhelmed by Disaster's of all types. To ensure the very best response and ongoing support for those effected by these common events .

I don't think it unreasonable to question this administration's commitment to providing first rate services required by law when hundreds of important 'appointments' to critical positions are not yet filled amid a regime that is ruled by chaos and self-interest.

edit on 25-8-2017 by FyreByrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Questioning or just assuming it won't be done?

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 02:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket

FEMA already has 500k sandbags in place, 306k meals and 96k liters of water. National Guard has 700 soldiers called up in preparation, there are mandatory and voluntary evacuations in place etc...

What else can be done in your opinion? Do you honestly think ANYONE Trump included wpuld not jump and put any and all resources available if the worst case occurs?

Personally, I don't think Trump is 'responsible' for anything.

That said, thank for the info on the State's state of preparedness and I agree it's in a holding 'wait and see' period.

But, I am appalled at the president's apparent lack of interest and concern in the matter until called on it and I hope that what bureaucrats left in place are able (and allowed) to perform their duties.

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 02:56 PM
link   

If FEMA already has that much in place, I'd say no one has gotten in anyone's way.

There is only so much that can be done to prepare until you get to the point where any more becomes potential over prep and you risk being accused of wasting time, money and resources along with needlessly panicking people.

The long and short of it is that Trump himself will be painted as lacking in this no matter what he does. He could personally wade into raging flood waters to personally rescue little old ladies ... their drowning cats, and people would criticize him for hating dogs because he didn't save any of them.

Be honest with yourself here.

It is one thing to be concerned about the situation. We all are. This is the first serious hurricane to hit the country in almost a decade. So concern over the preparations and how people will respond to it on an individual level is justified.

But immediately jumping into the realm of blaming politicians before we even know what the actual outcome or response will be is like politicizing bodies before there are any and sinks to a new low, IMO.

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 02:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Mary Landrieu I think. There's a Landrieu as mayor of New Orleans now.

I just remembered.

Kathleen Blanco

I knew the name "fit the glove".

She's the one who stalled calling in for an "emergency".

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Oh, you're right. Mary Landrieu is another one.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join