It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

watership down hazel death

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 08:27 PM
link   
i saw this video posted awhile ago, and lost the thread. but i looked it up on youtube. so i found it. i really like it. i hope this post is long enough because i dont have much to say about it. here it is.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 08:59 PM
link   
one of my very favorite books...

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 09:28 PM
link   
a reply to: lizardghost

There ya go.

I've not seen this in ages. Thank you for reminding me.

peace

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 09:38 PM
link   
I'm on my third copy of the book. It's far better than the movie.

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 10:17 PM
link   
wtf?

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 10:41 PM
link   
a reply to: lizardghost

Great scene from the movie.

I always loved the intro but can't seem to find it on youtube anymore. They do have a remake of it though that I found almost as good as the cartoon intro.

The book was great!
Movie was great too!
s&f

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 10:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Darkblade71

The original movie was good, but there are just some things you are missing that make the story better.

The whole story of Cowslip's warren was cut out for one. The rabbits in Efrafa lost a lot of the time that in the book gave them some character which made them out to be less than the monolithic villains they were in the movie. For example, every one of the protagonists who interact with Campion can't help but like him.

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 11:03 PM
link   
LOVE THIS BOOK AND MOVIE SO MUCH OMG.

(((SPOILER ALERT)))

The movie is literally part of my childhood... my sisters and I were obsessed with this cartoon when we were kids. I friggen love the soundtrack and animation.

And I think about the story a lot even now, it haunts me. Like how it was so representative of different governments/cultures, etc. And I often feel like I'm on my own watership down journey to find a new home, looking for that safe place on top of the hill with the one tree except the dog found them and that was really violent and brutal but it all worked out in the end.

There's another one... a must watch. And it's called The Plague Dogs. YOU HAVE TO WATCH IT RIGHT NOW.

I watched the full movie on youtube, so you could too. The story told also haunts me to this day. It marks the beginning of the discovery of cognitive dissonance, dissociation, stockholm syndrome, and the separation of the body, mind, and spirit... for me personally. I relate so much to the dog switching back and forth from fantasy to reality... and having to make that choice. And I relate with how they are seeking a new master to serve... and feeling lost without one. To me it's like how we all seek purpose and meaning in life... and try to use other things to give it to us. It's about self discovery and mastering self. Like becoming our own master. IT'S FRIGGEN AMAZING AND EFFED UP. WATCH IT.

Enjoy.

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Ah, the good old days when animation was real.

It's all to slick now with the innuendo and and flashy CGI.

Good book, good film. Good memories.

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 06:54 AM
link   
a reply to: geezlouise

I was also obsessed with this film growing up. I have watched it a million times and not only do I own two copies of the book I bought the film years ago and it sits as my only VHS tape on my shelf đź‘Ť

Just looked up the plague dogs. I can't believe I've never seen this.
edit on 25-8-2017 by TheAlleghenyGentleman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Have you read Traveller?

That's another interesting one. It's Robert E. Lee's horse telling about the Civil War from his perspective. If you are expecting a politically correct tale with the horse hating slavery, you won't get it, but if you want an honest narrative of what the horse might have thought and felt on the battlefield, you will.

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Today is the one year anniversary of putting my chocolate lab to sleep. He was my soul dog and today is tough. Watching this was comforting. I think I will dig out my copy of WD and give it another read. Thanks. ***sniff***

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 10:42 AM
link   

I love the movie (and the book). The animation/art is very well done and captures wild rabbits' behavior and characteristics remarkably well. I currently have 3 bunnies (down from 7), so just thinking about Hazel's death chokes me up a bit. Another great story by the same author is:

Rowf (a Labrador-mix) and Snitter (a smooth fox terrier) are two of many dogs used for experimental purposes at an animal research facility in the Lake District of north-western England. Snitter has had his brain experimented upon while Rowf has been drowned and resuscitated repeatedly. One evening, Snitter squeezes under the netting of his cage and into Rowf's, where they discover his cage is unlatched. They explore the facility in order to escape until they sneak into the incinerator, where they are nearly killed before finally escaping.

edit on 8252017 by seattlerat because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Oh god noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo,

I was properly disturbed as a child watching this, I viewed it when I was probably 4-5 and even today I cannot watch it. Yes it is a Cartoon but not for kids or at least kids that are not at the age to properly comprehend what they are seeing, I have been searching for a "Watership down support group" to try and overcome the dread..

Just hearing any part of Bright eyes is enough for me to hide under the stairs in a cold sweat to have to be slowly tempted out by the wife with quality veggie samosa..

RA

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 02:17 PM
link   
a reply to: TheAlleghenyGentleman

YASSSSS.

And I hope you watch Plague Dogs... and enjoy it. I know I did. It made a deep impression on me anyway... feels like we're all just trying to escape the facility sometimes. The book is on my list of things to read.

a reply to: ketsuko

I never read that but it sounds interesting. I'll have to add it to the list. I still have to read Animal Farm by George Orwell, too... since we're on the talking animals kick, lol. I love animals that talk.

Thanks for the suggestion!

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 03:27 PM
link   

For those of us who enjoy talking animal stories, check out "Red-Tailed Rescue", written by my dad!

The lives of one highly educated red-tailed hawk named Orville and Kate, a 12-year-old girl, intersect one day on South Dakota ranchland. Orville has a slight vision problem due to faulty DNA, and Kate needs a friend. When Orville crash lands into the side of the Flannery’s home, Kate and her parents rescue him and take him to the local vet for treatment. With Orville’s broken leg nearly healed, he and Kate go fishing. Orville flies back, carrying the fishing pole in his talons, as part of his physical therapy, while Kate walks alone across the vast prairie. Only she does not arrive. Her parents gone for the Labor Day Weekend, leaving a slightly addled grandmother at home, now creates a desperate situation for Kate. Orville and his schoolmates, the county sheriff’s department, and a police dog named Deputy Grace must combine forces to find Kate before it’s too late.

The sequel will be published soon, and I am looking forward to it. I'm not super close to my dad, so this isn't an attempt to sell books for him- I would enjoy the story no matter who wrote it.
edit on 8252017 by seattlerat because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 04:00 PM
link   
If you want talking animals and would like to delve into fantasy a bit, try E.E. Knight's 'Age of Fire' series. It's about the lives of three dragon siblings. Each of the first three books tells the tale of one sibling's growth to adulthood, and the last three tell the tale of how their lives intertwine and help change the world once they reconnect by chance.

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 04:59 PM
link   
a reply to: slider1982
I feel the same, there is no way I'll ever watch this film ever again, way too traumatic! I only have to hear the intro to bright eyes and I'm a blubbering mess! No child should ever have to face such pain whilst watching a cartoon film! My mum used to watch it every time it was on tv and it never got any easier, part terrifying and part heart breaking. Evil film! Mind you I can't handle any film which deals with animals dying

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Fantastic book far far better than the film. a bonus for me is i live 20 minutes drive from where the book is set.
mostly real places that still exist.

i have sat under the trees at the site of the warren on watership down.
i have been to the hutch rabbits farm (location of which is a local secret to keep the fans away as its a working farm)
i have been to the cross roads of efrafa.
i have walked the iron road and the little river enbourn which features in the book and film.

I live in a magical area
watership down is about 8 miles south of the town of newbury berkshire uk
not far from the building that downton abbey is/was filmed.

new topics

top topics

join