It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Most Americans live paycheck to paycheck

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 10:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: face23785
Yeah sadly I'm in 100% agreement with you here. A lot of people just aren't smart enough with their money or they are purposefully ignorant with it because they have no incentive to change. My brother is a postman. He knows where all the government checks go. He's told me many times about the welfare checks going to crappy houses with expensive cars and full of high end electronics inside. These type of people take away money from folks with legitimate need.

How would he know that? It's all done by direct deposit these days. Physical checks don't get mailed.

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 10:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
a reply to: Ohanka

A great video on wealth distribution. MOst people think that CEO's and Business owners should make alot more than blue collar workers. But the facts show that the system is not about CEO's and business owners making alot, it's about all the money.

The only way "ordinary" workers are going to make a "fair" living is by unionizing. There is no other non violent way.

Nice video production, but unfortunately it isn't saying anything...

There has always been wealth inequality and will always be wealth inequality because.....(drum roll). We aren't all equal. At no point in history has there ever been wealth equality.

Even in societies where everyone is equal, you see extreme wealth inequality where the elites at the top live dramaticalyl better. At least in a capitalist society, you have social mobility where you can move between classes.

So what if we have billionaires. Most of them become billionaires by creating obscene amounts of wealth and productivity. Bill Gates may be worth $80 billion but he has created trillions in wealth through Microsoft. His company has created hundreds of thousands of jobs. Countless millionaires and a few billionaires. We haven't even gotten into all the ancillary wealth from other companies doing business with Microsoft.

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 10:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

Some people get them direct deposit, not everyone does. Remember there's a bunch of different welfare programs, not just social security. I know the media told everyone the government was going "paperless" years ago, but I can tell you first-hand that hasn't happened. Also the government does a lot of ridiculous #. For example, they may make one program "paperless" by switching to direct deposit or transferring it to a card, but then still mail you a paper statement. The federal government is the most inept and inefficient entity in existence.
edit on 25 8 17 by face23785 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 10:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

That's what the business community told educators. They needed trained employeres or they have to hire foreigners. CEOs lied to indebt us and hire foreigners anyway.

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 10:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

originally posted by: Edumakated

originally posted by: MOMof3

We know all that now. It does not take a degree to make a smart employee. The right winging rich just wanted working people to spend money on a useless product. They lied about jobs.

Ummm... it is the left which is pushing everyone to go to college, not too mention wanting government to give out loans which has done nothing but inflate the cost of tuition.

It's everyone who pushes college, when the right doesn't push it, it's because they're encouraging people to go into low skilled jobs that have no future.

The left sneers at blue collar jobs. Heck, you are even doing it now. Remember all the polls about how conservative voters are not as "educated?" Those on the right recognize college isn't for everyone and there is nothing wrong with gaining a vocational skill. For many people, the ROI is much higher than going to college.

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 10:39 AM
link   

The wealth gap has grown. It is not the same as in the 1960's. Companies are still making profits, and productivity is still growing. The wages are not reflecting these successes.
Of course there are very wealthy people. And they in turn touch other people's lives. That is not what happens to 99% of the workers. The facts speak for them selves, we just need to be brave enough to act.

Not as easy as it should be to climb the ladder.

edit on 25-8-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 11:00 AM
link   
a reply to: face23785

Social security is not welfare.

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Social security is a blanket term for a number of different programs. Some of them are welfare programs.

From the Social Security Administration's website

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 11:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

originally posted by: seasonal
a reply to: Ohanka

A great video on wealth distribution. MOst people think that CEO's and Business owners should make alot more than blue collar workers. But the facts show that the system is not about CEO's and business owners making alot, it's about all the money.

The only way "ordinary" workers are going to make a "fair" living is by unionizing. There is no other non violent way.

Nice video production, but unfortunately it isn't saying anything...

There has always been wealth inequality and will always be wealth inequality because.....(drum roll). We aren't all equal. At no point in history has there ever been wealth equality.

Even in societies where everyone is equal, you see extreme wealth inequality where the elites at the top live dramaticalyl better. At least in a capitalist society, you have social mobility where you can move between classes.

So what if we have billionaires. Most of them become billionaires by creating obscene amounts of wealth and productivity. Bill Gates may be worth $80 billion but he has created trillions in wealth through Microsoft. His company has created hundreds of thousands of jobs. Countless millionaires and a few billionaires. We haven't even gotten into all the ancillary wealth from other companies doing business with Microsoft.

Well indeed there will, and probably should always be some wealth inequality.

But 1% of the people should not own 40% of the wealth.

Nor should the opposite 20% of the people own only 0.5% of the wealth.

About this, Marx was right.

The richest are also often bankers, a modern western banker is little more than a third rate thief in a system where his kind of theft happens to be legal.

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 11:29 AM
link   

We get it. The only good welfare are ovens to dispose of the unwanted old and sick.

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 11:37 AM
link   
a reply to: MOMof3

Once again, when you have to lie to make your point, you should rethink your point. Stop making # up and stick to what's actually being discussed. Read to comprehend. Put some thought into your responses, don't just regurgitate mindless talking points regardless of whether they fit the discussion or not.

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 11:45 AM
link   

I can make up # too. My president has shown me all that matters is to win. My president has shown me lying is how to win. This thread is useless because there has been a million about The plight of the working poor. Nazis don't care.

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 11:47 AM
link   

We get it. The only good welfare are ovens to dispose of the unwanted old and sick.

It's constantly included in 'welfare' metrics by people who cite how much the government spends on welfare.

Remember Romney's 47% of Americans don't pay income taxes comment?
That included people on Social Security under the income limit.

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 11:51 AM
link   
a reply to: [post=22602874]Greven[/post

Because they don't make enough. You want to tax my 900 social security? I pay 4000 just in property taxes.

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 11:51 AM
link   

You've been making # up, it appears to be what you're good at. You can't argue what's actually being said here, so you have to pretend people are saying over the top ridiculous # so you can actually argue against that. It's sad.

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I don't believe anything you post either.

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 12:18 PM
link   

a reply to: [post=22602874]Greven[/post

Because they don't make enough. You want to tax my 900 social security? I pay 4000 just in property taxes.

What?

I ain't grabbing your dang Social Security.

I'm saying people lump it in with welfare all the time.

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 12:21 PM
link   

That's because you pretend I'm saying # I'm not saying. When I say there are people out there with legitimate need of help that social programs are designed to protect, you pretend I said the only good social program is to get rid of the sick and elderly. You're so brainwashed you just see propaganda, you don't see what people are actually saying. You can't refute anything I actually said so you have to go to fairytale land to try to argue. Just don't say anything if the only thing you have to contribute are lies.

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 12:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

Read my post again. There are options that are very do-able.

Single living is easy on 6 figures.

No need to debate.

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Greven

It's lumped in with welfare because it is welfare. Even the Social Security Administration acknowledges it's a welfare program. Whether you consider it welfare is irrelevant. Words have established definitions, everyone doesn't just get to make up their own.

Edit: But you are right, nobody is trying to take her welfare. If she has a legitimate qualification for it, I'm fine with her getting it. That said, everyone but the most extreme leftists acknowledges these programs need reform.
edit on 25 8 17 by face23785 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join