It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Most Americans live paycheck to paycheck

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 04:49 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

It's a western problem.

It's down to wages.

The standard of living is a very sensitive set of scales, each nation has it's own way of addressing issues in regards to living standards but the keystone will always be wages.

For now.

I mean, realistically wages should have went up when automation really began to take over in the last 10-20 years, but instead we've seen less jobs, more productivity and stagnant wages.

It's a recipe for disaster, it's greed.

Back to that standard of living malarkey... In regards to that, there is a big portion of Americans personal wealth that is "wasted" on stupid and extortionate mark ups.

Medication.

Regulate profits, dismantle the monopoly. It might give you a few precious years until you and the world address this farce that is the modern economy.

What's really needed is a universal credit system. The top should pay for it with their record quarterly profits year in year out..

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 04:50 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

Today, I was wondering how the person driving this pimped out truck (it had blue LED lights around a push bumper--like on cop car's, thick, reinforced steel tubing over the radiator) could afford such a thing. Only a young kid would think this thing was "sick" or "phat" or whatever the lingo is now a days. I thought it was a waste of money. My guess would be over 60 K. The young guy driving doesn't make that kind of money.

And Chevy is making some of those 60K trucks in Mexico. There is a huge problem coming and we have been lied to. The politicians told us we would blossom under a service based econ. They lied, and they were and are paid to lie.

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 04:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

The money is being made, but it isn't be shared. This is a major reason you can't afford medical services, everything but wages have gone up.

Your first chart above clearly defines the job I work for. Granted, I could quit but it was a struggle just getting it in the first place.

What the company does is schedule me 9 straight days of work. Monday through the following Tuesday. Saturday and Sunday are 4hr shifts. Then I work Monday Tuesday with Wednesday off. Then Thursday Friday with the weekend off. Come the following Monday, the cycle continues.

Maximize production with no possible way to get overtime.

Most days I'm completely spent. DRAINED.

I'm a grounds keeper at a golf course. I average 6 to 9 miles a day walking behind a mower! Sometimes more!

I work around A LOT of Latinos who complain everyday that there's too much work and not enough pay.

I don't speak Spanish so it's hard to tell them that Latinos in general have saturated the market with cheap labor and most are landscapers!

Needless to say, the golf course can hire and fire as they see fit because of the recruitment pool that overflows.

They think they are in a specialized field and that's just not the case.

The golf course benefits HUGE from Latinos that refuse to update their skills and qualifications. They think being a "blower technician" requires a 4 year degree.

I'm specialized in several fields, but I needed a job to cover my housing as a vet, so I took what I could get for now.

The output by no means equals the pay.. NO FREAKING WAY. But the amount of folks that can do this is ENORMOUS!

Point is, this economy has companies cleverly scheduling their employees to get more bang for their buck.

And with a recruitment pool the size of the Pacific ocean, what incentive do they have to pay more!!??

I live from check to check no doubt.

edit on E31America/ChicagoThu, 24 Aug 2017 16:55:06 -05008pmThursdayth04pm by EternalShadow because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: growler

How about Unions-they did a great job. But people are convinced this is why globalization took place.

Globalization took place because we elected people who lied to us. And it will have to get worse before it gets better-if we can stay out of a profitable world war that is.

link   
The problem is everybody buys a house they can't afford, and run out car loans for 84 months. All of that interest kills wealth.

I'm self employed, have very little debt, both vehicles paid, all my equipment paid and I have money in the bank. I went from being flat broke to being stable in 5 years.

Stop buying stuff you can't afford, stop using credit cards. You'll never keep up with the Jones'

If you can't make it on 6 figures a year, you are an idiot.
edit on 8/24/2017 by eXia7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 04:59 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

a reply to: BlueJacket

I was writing up what I posted and when I finally posted there were already responses! Story of my life today.

I agree with your post above! You can also add: "Shrinking portion sizes on pre-packaged food for equal or more money" to your list. It is amazing that I can make burrito stuffings at home, buy organic veggies, and pay around the same as a single pizza delivery that will only feed me for a couple days. I've had burritos now so many days in a row I'm kind of over them!

I hear you. People are still chiming in on OP. Heck, didn't read your posts until now. The conversation will come. Patience young padwan!

The topic is too important to gloss over.

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 05:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: eXia7
The problem is everybody buys a house they can't afford, and run out car loans for 84 months. All of that interest kills wealth.

I'm self employed, have very little debt, both vehicles paid, all my equipment paid and I have money in the bank. I went from being flat broke to being stable in 5 years.

Stop buying stuff you can't afford, stop using credit cards. You'll never keep up with the Jones'

Very true. Interest is inherently a transfer of wealth from the have nots to the haves.

The problem is that to a large extent the economic model we have is based round people buying via debt. If it a significant number of people did what you have then we would have an economic collapse that would make 2008 look like a golden age.

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 05:01 PM
link   
a reply to: eXia7

I agree with that to some extent...but credit isnt an evil thing when used correctly.

Dont buy what you cant afford...is a crux, however housing and food should be vastly more affordable.

I make and save a lot now...but didnt always and the fraud of 401ks is not the answer

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Wanna know where all that money is going? Look toward the offshore accounts of the mega rich. They're using these tax havens to drain the middle class dry in my opinion.

CEO Pay Has Grown 90 Times Faster than Typical Worker Pay Since 1978
edit on 8/24/2017 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 05:03 PM
link   
But...... I need........www.youtube.com... and I want...www.youtube.com... .... and I gott'a have www.youtube.com...

Don't hate me because I'm beautiful www.youtube.com... Priorities folk. There are those who are minimalists... and very successful.

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 05:04 PM
link   
What do you expect in a Corporate oligarchy? It's capitalism!!

And you elected a businessman; that should work out well for the American working man.

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Homeowners and renters are supporting their community through property taxes that increase every year. So the rich CEOs can get more. The aveage income in Idaho is less than 50k per yr.

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 05:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: testingtesting
I do a good moral job one that most can not or will not do and I made 17k last year (UK) and I live paychec
k to paycheck

Seventeen thousand aint bad if its outside the south eats. You can live on it if you go down the home grown / B&M / Tesco bargain isle routs with basic pleasures like going fr nice walks, beach enjoyment, kite flying, good sex, learning new languages. You can defo have fun on 17 thousand

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 05:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot

originally posted by: eXia7

Very true. Interest is inherently a transfer of wealth from the have nots to the haves.

The problem is that to a large extent the economic model we have is based round people buying via debt. If it a significant number of people did what you have then we would have an economic collapse that would make 2008 look like a golden age.

If the economy is so fragile that it can't handle a large group of the population not being in debt, then its not a very good economy.

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 05:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket
a reply to: eXia7

I agree with that to some extent...but credit isnt an evil thing when used correctly.

Dont buy what you cant afford...is a crux, however housing and food should be vastly more affordable.

I make and save a lot now...but didnt always and the fraud of 401ks is not the answer

I'm not going to pretend like I paid cash for everything I have. I had to use loans over a period of years, but I never got a loan beyond my ability to manage, and I don't borrow money to buy personal items. I only borrow money IF I need it to expand the buisness, or buy a new house.

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 05:17 PM
link   
a reply to: ufoorbhunter

Not when I have an elderly mother to help look after, That was with overtime hours also.
I seem to get ahead then life throws us a crapball like last week crows wrecked our chimmney and because it is a 4 story house (sounds big isn't) it cost us 1600 quid
I do have a plan though to make a few extra quid.

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 05:17 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 05:20 PM
link   
a reply to: WellyMelly

Not you again....
Make a thread about it....

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 05:22 PM
link   
a reply to: testingtesting

Keep it up with the overtime, sometimes the bit extra makes all the difference. Used to go to an ice cream place in Telford after me normal job to get a top up but sometimes 16 hours a day is too much and the extra dosh goes on Pro Plus
followed by sleeping pills. It's all mental mate but mushrooms are free and can offer a little light relief as well as magical moments

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 05:22 PM
link   

the problem isn't the wage a person earns.

the problem is from poor financial decisions.
credit cards being used to buy the latest 4k television, vacation, dinners, designer clothes and other items that are simply not needed.

there are only two debts i can see that are reasonable. first is a mortgage the second is an education.

i've been debt free for over five years. i live comfortably on my meager salary. once you let go of the mind set of "keeping up with the neighbors", overall quality of life becomes better.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join