It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Most Americans live paycheck to paycheck

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 08:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: face23785
a reply to: Quetzalcoatl14

The ultra rich are a fraction of a percent. There's always gonna be people who are doing exorbitantly well. Cry me a river, "waaaaaaaaaaaaah they have so much money I deserve some of it!!!" The fact of the matter is that most of the rich in this country worked and saved their way into it, which proves it's not just a matter of "winning life's lottery". The fact you are even here proves you have more than you need. Be happy for it, and if you're not, work to get more. You may not be able to, but that's life. You're not born guaranteed everything you want. Jesus to be as spoiled as some of you folks are.

Spoken like someone who has never been short of cash in his life.

Why, exactly, should 1% of the people own 40% of the nations wealth? Why should they steal from the poor to further enhance their own wealth?

The bottom 20% in contrast hold less than 0.5% of the wealth, which is indefensible.

The majority of the country (and the west in general) suffers under such a system. Wealth is created but hoarded by parasitic billionaires.

They don't spend it, they don't invest it, they don't donate it, they don't use it to create jobs and they sure as hell don't need it.

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 08:54 PM
link   
a reply to: face23785

My conclusions came from reading your posts in this thread.

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 08:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Ohanka

Spoken like someone who is making unfounded and incorrect assumptions about the person they're talking to. You're completely wrong about me. And those numbers don't entitle you to more of other people's money, no matter how many times they are posted. And your last 2 paragraphs are flat out false.

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 08:56 PM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Then you were reading backwards or something, because your observation doesn't match what I've been saying. You've probably closed your mind because I posted a few uncomfortable truths you don't like, so you didn't internalize everything else I've said.

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Then you were reading backwards or something, because your observation doesn't match what I've been saying. You've probably closed your mind because I posted a few uncomfortable truths you don't like, so you didn't internalize everything else I've said.

Have you ever considered that it may be you who has it backwards?

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 09:07 PM
link   

a reply to: Logarock

They're legally earning more money than you. If you want their money, you're entitled. Sorry if that term offends you.

It's not being entitled to wanting a better contract. Most of the means employees had to leverage better deals have been eroded in the past 30 to 40 years. How is it entitled to want that leverage back?

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 09:07 PM
link   

No. You've definitely got it backwards.

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

a reply to: Logarock

Don't thank me for that. The fact of the matter is though that if you have enough to get by you're in no position to complain. if you want more, work yourself into a higher paying job or start a business or something. It's not easy and can be risky, but the people you're so jealous of did it and now you just want handouts from them because "it's not fair"? Grow up.

For some reason people like you think of everything in terms of your own experience, you are unable to see from any other point of view than your own.

Not everything is that black and white, the topic is a big one for at least 60% of the population, once you get your head that statement perhaps you will have far greater insight into the issues being discussed.

Everything you said in here is wrong. I've related and discussed other people's experience in many posts during this thread. I've stated multiple times their experiences aren't representative of everyone. I've acknowledged multiple times there are people out there genuinely struggling and have no problem helping them. I even offered help to a member in this thread that I've had some pretty heated disagreements with and who definitely doesn't see eye to eye with me on this subject.

I don't know why you couldn't internalize any of that. My only guess is that something I said at some point upset you enough that you couldn't see any of the positive posts I've made in this thread.

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 09:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Ohanka

The numbers are scary, unionization is a key. The working stiffs will not get a real gain in pay if the companies can do business as usual with out any pain. Unions used to provide this pain.
For those who think everything is fine. All you need to think about is that when pay is too low they go on public assistance to supplement their low pay. It is a sick system that was changed in the early 1980's by the Reagan admin.
Right now our system is running on the exploitation of one group or another. If you are getting something that is imported from a 3rd world country, you can bet there are horrible conditions, low low pay and an environment disaster in the making. The true cost of products are externalized and we will pay sooner or later.

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 09:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

You don't have a contract. Where did you get that idea? Being born here doesn't guarantee you success. Nobody promised you anything. You're only guaranteed opportunity. Not every makes it. That's life. We have social safety nets to help people when they're struggling, and we spend more on them than anything else in our budget. Americans are among the most generous people in the world when it comes to charitable contributions. A very small percentage of people in this country are truly impoverished living in the streets. We do pretty well, it's not perfect, but perfect is impossible.

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 09:10 PM
link   

It was simply an observation, you can choose to take it onboard or you can continue down the path of knowing it all regardless of others opinions and experience.

Personally I don't really care what you do, I was hoping you would open your mind but nobody is going to force you

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Intellectually dishonest reply that didn't address anything I said. The only one here with a closed mind is you. Go back and re-read my posts with an open mind if it bothers you that much. Your observations were completely incorrect.

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Why shouldn't people in what's supposedly the richest and greatest country on Earth be able to expect do be doing better than "having what they need"?

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 09:16 PM
link   

You can expect anything you want, you can even expect to have it given to you if you want, unrealistic though that may be. As Franklin said (I know, he was rich so you will just disregard this quote), the Constitution merely guarantees you the opportunity to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself.

Seriously, the crap that you guys are complaining about is most people in this world's dream to have. Why do you think they risk their lives to try to get here? And then you'll turn around and tell people like me I have no compassion. If you had true compassion you'd realize just how damn good you have it and you wouldn't be complaining. You take what you have for granted.
edit on 25 8 17 by face23785 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 09:17 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 09:23 PM
link   

You don't have a contract. Where did you get that idea? Being born here doesn't guarantee you success. Nobody promised you anything. You're only guaranteed opportunity. Not every makes it. That's life. We have social safety nets to help people when they're struggling, and we spend more on them than anything else in our budget. Americans are among the most generous people in the world when it comes to charitable contributions. A very small percentage of people in this country are truly impoverished living in the streets. We do pretty well, it's not perfect, but perfect is impossible.

You misunderstood me. I wasn't referring to a social contract (that's a different argument entirely). I was referring to contracts between employers and employees. In the past, employees had collective bargaining on their side. They also had better regulations. On the flip side, employers offered pensions, lots of tuition reimbursement, and rewarded loyalty, which fostered good will between the two parties. This resulted in lower wealth inequality and happier workers. Back then an employer and their employee might even live in the same neighborhood because their incomes were close enough together.

In the past few decades that has all changed. Labor is being undercut by labor in lower economic zones, unions have been dismantled, regulations have been rolled back, pensions have proven unsustainable, and internal job advancement has ceased.

There's a lot of factors in play that explain the whys, but the end result is that workers are getting a bad deal. The only leverage a prospective employee has left is their ability to say no to a job offer. Which in turn, only helps an employee if they can make two companies bid against each other for the labor, leveraging the ability to say no to the weaker offer. Even that is on perilous ground though, especially for unskilled positions, as there tends to be more possible employees than possible jobs these days.

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Then I apologize for misunderstanding what you meant.

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 09:40 PM
link   

True or False

All parties involved in Capitalism should have bargaining rights?

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Sigh.... You can lead horse to water....

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Yeah that's right. I led you back to what you said, explained why it was wrong, referencing factual info from earlier in the thread, and you didn't address any of it. Go back, re-read what I said with an open mind, and realize you were wrong.

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 09:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: jacobe001

True or False

All parties involved in Capitalism should have bargaining rights?

True, but that doesn't necessarily mean equal rights.

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join