It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ontario to remove Sir John A. MacDonald's name from school's

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 04:50 PM
link   
a reply to: JohnnyCanuck

Some things deserve mockery imo. But I see your point and agree. There is a time and a place for dumb jokes and maybe now isn't the appropriate time or place.

I would be interested in what the First People have to say. (in regards to the issue)

edit on 8-24-2017 by WakeUpBeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 04:50 PM
link   
a reply to: knowledgehunter0986

There goes McDonald Block in TO next I guess. I guess that a man who had people work for him but did not possibly give them an income, but...provided food, shelter, clothing and work is a "slave master" by today's standards. I guess all you haters were there to witness the events and can argue beyond a shadow of a doubt that the we're abused. Maybe he gave them what he could in place of money. It's called bartering.

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 04:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: JohnnyCanuck

originally posted by: WhereAmEYE

I agree art and monuments should be left alone unless you're toppling the Saudis or their ilk.

As for the names in your op and the anchor I'm not offended either.

The names of the school are to commemorate history and the anchor predates the Nazis, many sailors used this sign for good luck. Even if it were a Nazi anchor it's still a valuable piece of history.

I think the person who thought it was a Nazi anchor and a sign of hate is an idiot.

I know the proud Northern Ontario residents of Swastika are equally inclined to tell detractors to pound sand. Politely, eh?

Man, I never heard of it until now. You might have alerted the wrong people and they're probably heading up north to try and change it.

I hope the black flies eat them.

(No that was not to advocate violence)

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Iconoclasm. Nothing new. Lenin did it. Our communist friends on the left are just playing by their rule book.

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Iconoclasm. Nothing new. Lenin did it. Our communist friends on the left are just playing by their rule book.

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 05:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: JohnnyCanuck

I agree art and monuments should be left alone unless you're toppling the Saudis or their ilk.

As for the names in your op and the anchor I'm not offended either.

The names of the school are to commemorate history and the anchor predates the Nazis, many sailors used this sign for good luck. Even if it were a Nazi anchor it's still a valuable piece of history.

I think the person who thought it was a Nazi anchor and a sign of hate is an idiot.

I know the proud Northern Ontario residents of Swastika are equally inclined to tell detractors to pound sand. Politely, eh?

Man, I never heard of it until now. You might have alerted the wrong people and they're probably heading up north to try and change it.

I hope the black flies eat them.

(No that was not to advocate violence)

Blackflies are not violence...they're the act of an angry god. So are ticks...jeez, I hate ticks! And I'm out in the field tomorrow! Pass the DEET, will ya?

But here's an interesting assessment of Sir John A...Facing Sir John A. Macdonald’s Legacy
edit on 24-8-2017 by JohnnyCanuck because: Yup

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 06:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: knowledgehunter0986
Link

For those of you who don't know who he is, he is one of Canada's founding fathers and was Canada's first ever Prime Minister.

The union representing Ontario’s public elementary school teachers is calling on all elementary schools in the province to pull the name of Canada’s first prime minister from their buildings.

The Elementary Teachers’ Federation of Ontario passed a motion at its annual meeting last week calling on all school districts in Ontario to rename schools and buildings named after Sir John A. Macdonald.

The union said it wants the name change because of what it calls Macdonald’s role as the “architect of genocide against Indigenous Peoples.” Macdonald was prime minister during the time the federal government approved the first residential schools in the country.

No surprise here at all for my city to follow suit and remove some history because it's potentially an offensive reminder of a brutal time in the past. I mean why stop there, he also has statues.. I'm sure they are coming down next, if not forcibly. His name is also plastered all over the country on many different buildings and streets. I know plenty of people that went to these school's and I don't think a single person even knew about the history, let alone got offended by it, because our school system was not very keen on teaching us about what happened to the indigenous people.

As a Canadian, I have nothing but respect and sympathy for them, and I'm glad the nation is taking great steps to improving their relationship. Having said that, my concern isn't about that but rather the dangerous precedent this "movement" is setting. It's already having a profound effect world wide and will only continue to grow. Where does it stop? Who gets to determine what goes next?

Dangerous road, and it boggles my mind how some of you can't see the path this leads to.

Hello 1984?

Food for thought - history usually repeats itself, but we barely know much about our history, and that's probably because this exact thing has happened before. Those who destroy history get to rewrite it.. and round and round we go..

Three pages but I'm going to respond before reading them all.

I don't get it. What does the first prime minister of Canada got to do with anything? It seems that this is a case of people thinking they have to do what they think is popular with a "me too" mentality. Our news is dominated with stupidity and people decide that must be what it takes to be cool. It reminds me of pet rocks, Chia pets and Beany Babies. Let's hope that by Christmas there's something else to keep the sheeple busy.

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Yea well I will be impressed when the local native americans show up not driving a car and devoid of I-Phone. The modern day children of native races really cant clam to much relevant high ground when they profit as much in todays world as the children of Sir John.

edit on 24-8-2017 by Logarock because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 06:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ash614

LOL yes and someday there will only be one statue as it was after his day and then Stalin ect. Bunch of them got taken down a few years ago.

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Anyways I've alerted this as a hoax and hope the mods take it down.

The OP hasn't taken ownership for their misleading title and they've had plenty of chances to admit and acknowledge that this is clearly not happening as he originally portrayed.

The names are not being changed.

I'm willing to bet the OP did not read their own source material because if they did they would know that this simply isn't happening.

The 20 other people who flagged this obviously only read the title.
edit on 24-8-2017 by WhereAmEYE because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 07:23 PM
link   
a reply to: WhereAmEYE

Lol how petty of you. Hoax? Well first of all a hoax would imply the source itself is fake, which it's not, and secondly, would imply I knowingly made this thread on a false premise, which I didn't. I took an excerpt from the article and expanded on it with my own opinions for the sake of a conversation, in which you even participated in.

The OP hasn't taken ownership for their misleading title and they've had plenty of chances to admit and acknowledge that this is clearly not happening as he originally portrayed. 

I didn't even realize I was being called out to admit something? All I know is I was having a conversation with a bunch of people - you included.

But thanks for participating I guess.

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Well, actually your thread title does lie. The article you cite is entitled "Ontario teachers’ union wants John A. Macdonald elementary schools renamed". Subtle but important difference, eh?

edit on 24-8-2017 by JohnnyCanuck because: yupper!

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 09:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: knowledgehunter0986

Lol how petty of you. Hoax? Well first of all a hoax would imply the source itself is fake, which it's not, and secondly, would imply I knowingly made this thread on a false premise, which I didn't. I took an excerpt from the article and expanded on it with my own opinions for the sake of a conversation, in which you even participated in.

I didn't even realize I was being called out to admit something? All I know is I was having a conversation with a bunch of people - you included.

But thanks for participating I guess.

OK not hoax, dishonest and deceptive.

You took a story, portrayed it as something it isn't, and knew the outrage from the statue crowd would fuel it.

This thread was misleading in every shape or form. I'm sincerely sorry for sounding hostile but you have some crow to eat.

The names aren't changing as you repeatedly suggest. Other people are reading it and falling for it.

Have a good night.

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Here is an update:

Premier: Union 'missed the mark' in call to rename Sir John A. Macdonald schools

Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne is speaking out against a proposal from a teacher’s union to rename schools in the province dedicated to Sir John A. Macdonald, saying the organization “missed the mark.”

Wynne said in a statement Thursday that Canada’s first prime minister was “far from perfect” and that his government’s decision to open the country’s first residential school was “among the most problematic in our history.”
But Wynne declared Macdonald a “father of confederation” who “contributed greatly to the creation of a stable federal government for Canada.”

“The more important question we should be asking ourselves as we move forward is how do we enact meaningful reconciliation with our indigenous peoples?” Wynne said.
“We need to teach our children the full history of this country -- including colonialism, our indigenous peoples and their history and about what our founders did to create Canada and make it the country it is today. We need to understand our history, the good along with the bad, so we can move forward in an era of mutual respect and understanding with our indigenous peoples.”

The premier’s comments come after the Elementary Teachers' Federation of Ontario passed a motion last week to urge all school districts to rename schools and buildings bearing Macdonald’s name, calling him an "architect of genocide against Indigenous Peoples."

www.ctvnews.ca...

I agree with her statements, he wasn't the best of man but is an important part of Canadian history.

Will the OP return to acknowledge the error in this thread?

Sure it is a bit outrageous that a teacher's union is wanting to change school names, but in reality this is just an example of media madness working its magic on the gullible populace.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join