It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking: Possible Active Shooter in Charleston, SC

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Here's the first thing I could find about this from two minutes ago:

Charleston police responding to 'active shooter situation'

(CNN)Police in Charleston, South Carolina, are working an "active shooter situation," according to Charles Francis, a spokesman for the Charleston Police Department.

Police are asking people to avoid the area.

An owner of a nearby boutique said the police activity is focused around Virginia's on King, a restaurant in the heart of downtown.

"Right now the streets are full of SWAT and police and people heavily armed. They are blocking off the whole block," said Sarah Cobb, owner of MOSA boutique.

Cobb described evacuations of nearby businesses and officers with guns pointed toward the restaurant.

Sounds like possibly something is going down in a restaurant? Person on Twitter said radio station WJR is reporting. Looking for Charlottesville PD Twitter.

EDIT:

This is in Charleston, South Carolina. The first few tweets about it were incorrect. Updated the title to reflect.

EDIT 2:

More info from Chicago Tribune:

Police spokesman Charles Francis said a shooting was reported just after noon on King Street, which is a row of restaurant and shops where tourists frequently gather.

He did not immediately report any injuries or information about a potential suspect. No other details were immediately available.

Tom and Patsy Plant told The Post and Courier of Charleston they were eating at Virginia's restaurant and saw a man come out of the kitchen with a gun in his hand and said "there's a new boss in town."

edit on 2017-8-24 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

disgruntled employees...
pray for the best.

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Charleston police responding to possible ‘active shooter situation’
Washington post

edit on 24-8-2017 by Black_Fox because: (no reason given)

+4 more 
posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 12:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

Sounds like possibly something is going down in a restaurant?

Yawn....

There were 11 active shooters in Chicago yesterday alone... I'm sure this is much bigger though, just ask the news networks.

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Hopefully just media hype and over reaction by LE.

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Your thread title is incorrect. It is in Charleston not Charlottesville. Please correct that to avoid undue racial tensions unless that was the reason for the mistake.

ETA: Added link
Police: 'Active shooter situation' in popular King Street area in downtown Charleston

One of the tweets displayed in this article:

Police officer telling people on King Street: "We've got an active shooter. We don't want anyone else getting shot." #chsnews #chs

Tom and Patsy Plant were eating lunch at Virginia's with their daughter Laura among 15 to 20 people. They said a man came from the kitchen with a loaded revolver in his left hand and announced "There's a new boss in town." One customer ran out back door. The Plants followed the customer, leaving their stuff in the restaurant They described gunman as black man in his late 50s. Patsy said he looked like "an ordinary grandpa, but he had a crazy look. It was very crazy."

This indicates someone has been shot already. I hope it is resolved before more are hurt.

edit on 8/24/2017 by Krakatoa because: struck out after thread author corrected title

edit on 8/24/2017 by Krakatoa because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

Yep, I got it as soon as I saw it in the excerpt I posted. Here's how it was breaking on Twitter:

From what they were just saying on CNN, sounds like a possible disgruntled employee and hostage situation.

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 12:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

Clearly this got a bump because the initial tweets were saying it was Charlottesville. If there's a terrorist attack in Europe somewhere and 2 people get stabbed, are you going to admonish people that there were shootings in Chicago?

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Thanks for updating the title.
Agreed. Let's hope this get settled peaceably.
Violence is not the answer unless being actively attacked and in imminent defense of your life.

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Never mind. The link won't work.

edit on 24-8-2017 by Junkheap because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: Krakatoa

Thanks for updating the title.
Agreed. Let's hope this get settled peaceably.
Violence is not the answer unless being actively attacked and in imminent defense of your life.

Yeah, I jumped the gun on that one. And yes, let's hope this ends without any injuries.

link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

originally posted by: theantediluvian

Sounds like possibly something is going down in a restaurant?

Yawn....

There were 11 active shooters in Chicago yesterday alone... I'm sure this is much bigger though, just ask the news networks.

Right there with you.

This is news why ?

Because Ingsoc declared it to be.

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 12:58 PM
link   
At least they got the name of the restaurant right.

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

It's possible to spread your attention across multiple topics. I tell you what though, you lot that love to bring up Chicago could really prove your concern is genuine and not political point scoring by actually authoring threads about violence in Chicago to draw attention to it.

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 01:01 PM
link   

CNN is saying multiple hostages. Multiple gunshots heard. No word on injuries.

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Shouldn't those black lives matter instead of running around shouting 'white supremacist' ?

Maybe those people should draw attention to it.

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 01:03 PM
link   
One American News (broadcast) just announced one person shot, and it is now a hostage situation. SWAT teams on scene, and area closed off. Now declared a disgruntled employee situation.

They are likely trying to negotiate with this guy. So, I expect the news media to back off reporting until there some more blood is shed, then it will be important again.

"If it bleeds it leads" as they say.

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 01:06 PM
link   
LIVE: DISGRUNTLED EMPLOYEE ACTIVE SHOOTER situation reported in Charleston, South Carolina

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 01:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

Shouldn't those black lives matter instead of running around shouting 'white supremacist' ?

Maybe those people should draw attention to it.

of all the dumb and retarded threads by xuenchen and other mentalists you reply to, this is what you see as a waste of a thread? a possible hostage situation?

gtfoh

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 01:11 PM
link   
What a terrible thing.

I hope no one else gets hurt.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join