It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Driver arrested after hitting protesters in St. Louis

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 12:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire

originally posted by: Wardaddy454

originally posted by: theantediluvian
a reply to: intrptr

Exactly.

It wasn't like these protesters were in the middle of a freeway and the driver had no where to go. He could have turned at the light one block back. He could have busted a u-turn.

Hell, he could have driven up and asked what they were protesting an they probably would have cleared a path.

Instead he drove at an unsafe rate directly into the crowd laying on his horn. Because right-wing programming is now, that if you're in your car and you drive into a crowd of protesters, it's okay to run them over.

Did you see how excited people were getting when they thought they could shoot people dead for vandalizing a statue?

I recall one of these events talked about here several years ago. A protest in the streets, but that time the video was much better. The driver used his car like a mobile snow shovel to clear a path through the pedestrians. Like a weapon. From what I recall, that thread flowed much like this one with many conservatives giving the thumbs up to the actions of the driver because the people were evil lefties.

No, its because we know that there will be at least one person in the crowd willing to escalate things. Then herd mentality kicks in.

And true as that may be it still does not circumvent the responsibilities agreed to by receiving a drivers license. When approaching a hindrance to the flow of traffic, pull over and proceed with caution when safe. If we want to argue the point that maybe the driver did not see them ahead of time, then maybe your point would be more viable. But chances are the driver saw the congestion well in advance and did not adhere to those simple rules of driving. Or I might add, simple rules of self preservation.

There are responsibilities for people on foot too:

Only cross a road when there are no cars approaching or you have a device to stop traffic. Look both ways. Only cross at a cross walk or intersection. DO NOT LOITER ON THE ROAD.

You were not there. You don't know what the driver saw. Stop acting like you deal with this every day.

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 12:01 PM
link   

a reply to: Xtrozero

So watching the video he drove up on the side of the crowd and stopped as he was honking his horn.

When approaching a hindrance to the flow of traffic, pull over and proceed with caution when safe.
With the honking horn, this driver did not do this. He used his car with the horn honking to barge past and through that hindrance.

Had he also been a pedestrian, he would have been within his rights to meet obstinance with obstinance. However he was not, he was driving a car and hence subject to the terms of his agreement with the department of motor vehicles.

Except that in many instances a motor vehicle is considered an extension of your person/home. Violate that, and you forfeit your own rights. Its not a black and white issue like you're trying to make it out as.

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 12:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

originally posted by: Popeye1

Yeah that sounds like what the protesters were attemping.

Oh look honey, theres a demonstration march police thing going on up ahead, lets get closer to see whats going on.

Turn the car around.

It'll be alright, what could happen?

Turn the Car Around...

it'll take longer going around.

Turn_The_Car_Around.

Quoting myself:

Maybe there is a car behind them. Maybe they don't know the side roads. Maybe there is a divider in the median that prevents easy turning.

MAYBE THE DRIVER IS FREAKING OUT BECAUSE IT'S DARK AND PEOPLE ARE SWARMING THEIR CAR.

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 12:04 PM
link   
And putting this here. Again.

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 12:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Antipathy17

Attempted murder.

So were allowed to get a bunch of violent people together and uses weapons to at least intimidate someone else? They were a threat to the person in the vehicles life. LA riots come to mind. These people are lucky they aren't dead and if any of them had died, owell.

For those comparing the incident to Rodney King riot-- Plenty of footage that day showed cars stopping and then turning around instead of continuing thru the intersection.

In fact I remember watching it later on TV and thinking, what dummies to drive thru that, what they expect?

Like swimming in the surf when sharks are visible.

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: eNumbra
Pretty sure the trans woman who had been shot and killed had a worse day.

But she wasn't the one blocking the street, banging on cars and threatening people now was she?

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Exactly.

It wasn't like these protesters were in the middle of a freeway and the driver had no where to go. He could have turned at the light one block back. He could have busted a u-turn.

Hell, he could have driven up and asked what they were protesting an they probably would have cleared a path.

Instead he drove at an unsafe rate directly into the crowd laying on his horn. Because right-wing programming is now, that if you're in your car and you drive into a crowd of protesters, it's okay to run them over.

Did you see how excited people were getting when they thought they could shoot people dead for vandalizing a statue?

I recall one of these events talked about here several years ago. A protest in the streets, but that time the video was much better. The driver used his car like a mobile snow shovel to clear a path through the pedestrians. Like a weapon. From what I recall, that thread flowed much like this one with many conservatives giving the thumbs up to the actions of the driver because the people were evil lefties.

No, its because we know that there will be at least one person in the crowd willing to escalate things. Then herd mentality kicks in.

And true as that may be it still does not circumvent the responsibilities agreed to by receiving a drivers license. When approaching a hindrance to the flow of traffic, pull over and proceed with caution when safe. If we want to argue the point that maybe the driver did not see them ahead of time, then maybe your point would be more viable. But chances are the driver saw the congestion well in advance and did not adhere to those simple rules of driving. Or I might add, simple rules of self preservation.

And what then of the crimes committed by these "pedestrians"?

Pedestrian interference, Assault, Disorderly conduct.

Without a permit, drivers have more rights than random people blocking a street.

The ''crimes'' of the pedestrians should have been handled in the correct manner. He should have pulled over prior to the hinderence, pulled out his cell phone (did he have one? chances are good that he did) and called 911 to report the crimes that were happening. But he did not. He then broke the law himself by driving into the mob.

Even though they did not have a permit, this driver did not have more rights than the people in the street. His rights were limited to the license and the privilege he was granted to drive a motor vehicle.

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 12:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Popeye1

Yeah that sounds like what the protesters were attemping.

Oh look honey, theres a demonstration march police thing going on up ahead, lets get closer to see whats going on.

Turn the car around.

It'll be alright, what could happen?

Turn the Car Around...

it'll take longer going around.

Turn_The_Car_Around.

The driver has more of a right to free and unimpeded travel, than these people impeding traffic without a permit. Sorry if it all assaults your sensibilities, but that's the reality.

They could have let him pass, but they chose to attack his car. Now they just look like Antifa, and the point of their little protest is lost.

link   

Exactly.

And what then of the crimes committed by these "pedestrians"?

Pedestrian interference, Assault, Disorderly conduct.

Without a permit, drivers have more rights than random people blocking a street.

The ''crimes'' of the pedestrians should have been handled in the correct manner. He should have pulled over prior to the hinderence, pulled out his cell phone (did he have one? chances are good that he did) and called 911 to report the crimes that were happening. But he did not. He then broke the law himself by driving into the mob.

Even though they did not have a permit, this driver did not have more rights than the people in the street. His rights were limited to the license and the privilege he was granted to drive a motor vehicle.

Or they could have just let him pass, instead of trying to turn violent.

link   

Oh look boobey, I know your water broke and grandpa is probably dead from a heart attack but lets let these people protest in the road.

Whats that, billy is alone in a soccer field after practice and your one flight home you can afford will not wait?

We can wait.

Question, do YOU protest in the road? If not you think its ok to send others to do what you dont?

edit on 8 24 2017 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 12:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

originally posted by: eNumbra

Pretty sure the trans woman who had been shot and killed had a worse day.

What does that have to do with someone just driving down the road days later. Should I feel extra sad since the person was not just crazy but a trans too?

What if I really don't give a crap in don't attack cops with a weapon and don't jump in front of moving cars...

These are not protesters anymore...they are aggressive anarchists, and in that situation its game on and I plan on winning. Real protesters would have gone near the police station and protested in a non-aggressive way to get their point across.

What did the quote I replied to have to do with anything you said?

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 12:08 PM
link   
a reply to: ttropia

Every since I watched Rodney King beating I had this stance. I am not stopping for a violent mob trying to kill me

You mean the police?

As for the OP..not ready to crucify the driver, the one in VA..ya crucify him.

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 12:09 PM
link   

So watching the video he drove up on the side of the crowd and stopped as he was honking his horn.

When approaching a hindrance to the flow of traffic, pull over and proceed with caution when safe.
With the honking horn, this driver did not do this. He used his car with the horn honking to barge past and through that hindrance.

Had he also been a pedestrian, he would have been within his rights to meet obstinance with obstinance. However he was not, he was driving a car and hence subject to the terms of his agreement with the department of motor vehicles.

So we saw the driver approaching a hindrance and slow down, possibly full stop. Starts honking the horn.

People swarm the car on all sides. They begin to hit the car with hands (slaps or fists(?)) and reportedly a flag pole.

At exactly what point is it safe?

Exactly what right do those people have to threaten the driver?

'Barging past' insinuates that those people had a right to stand on the open road. They do not have that right.

These were not pedestrians.

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Infoshill

Watching again, I'm not sure. It looks like people didn't attack the car til it tried to plow through people which was unavoidable.

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 12:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Antipathy17

Attempted murder.

So were allowed to get a bunch of violent people together and uses weapons to at least intimidate someone else? They were a threat to the person in the vehicles life. LA riots come to mind. These people are lucky they aren't dead and if any of them had died, owell.

For those comparing the incident to Rodney King riot-- Plenty of footage that day showed cars stopping and then turning around instead of continuing thru the intersection.

In fact I remember watching it later on TV and thinking, what dummies to drive thru that, what they expect?

Like swimming in the surf when sharks are visible.

Calling black people predators? How racist.

Are you suggesting that might makes right? That laws are only a suggestion?

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Except that in many instances a motor vehicle is considered an extension of your person/home. Violate that, and you forfeit your own rights. Its not a black and white issue like you're trying to make it out as.

As well as it should be. Those protesters violated his rights by attacking his car. I agree. But to place all the blame on them is also incorrect. He was driving, not as a right, but as a privilege. A privilege governed by law. He broke that law.

And all of my objections to the drivers actions are based upon that privilege, not taking into account the very real possiblity that the driver was just a bully too and decided to take on the protesters with his superior weapon. Not saying he was like that, it is just that we don't know.

link   
a reply to: Teikiatsu

MAYBE THE DRIVER IS FREAKING OUT BECAUSE IT'S DARK AND PEOPLE ARE SWARMING THEIR CAR.

Maybe panicked? The Hell... I saw the video.. This car pulled out of the blocked lanes, driving the wrong way, blaring the horn as they approached the blockade, driving right up to it, blaring horn and rolling, blaring and rolling... forcing the issue, clearly behaving aggressively...

People are just peeved at the protesters ideology, justify violence and hatred based purely on that. If that was a march of dimes or some parade, that person in that car would be in jail for attempted murder

link   

I also remember that truck driver in the LA riots that tried to turn around and was beaten to a pulp on live TV. The news helicopter got shot at but it kept recording the many beatings the guy got.

He should have kept going.

Thats the one.

edit on 8 24 2017 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: Kali74

Watching again, I'm not sure. It looks like people didn't attack the car til it tried to plow through people which was unavoidable.

Can't look when the sounds of people hitting the car are off camera, and then we see the car start to move forward past everyone.

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 12:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

I have too. Obviously the driver wanted through and was honking the horn impatiently. But the car did stop, then people swarmed the car, including the rear of the vehicle. The driver had a choice to stop and wait for the mob to calm down, or move away from them.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join