It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Councils bid to ban Australia Day

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Background:
Australia Day is held on the 26th January and its slogan is "Australia Day: Celebrate what's Great!".

Australia Day is the official National Day of Australia. Celebrated annually on 26 January, it marks the anniversary of the 1788 arrival of the First Fleet of British Ships at Port Jackson, New South Wales, and the raising of the Flag of Great Britain at Sydney Cove by Governor Arthur Phillip.

The Australian of the Year awards are held on this day and over the last few years have been awarded to increasingly politically correct winners, last year's winner was a Sudanese refugee who is now a refugee lawyer to counteract anger over the growing Sudanese Apex Gang crime wave. A few others over the years have been Rosie Batty, whose son was killed by his father and a transgender woman.

In the 90s I remember it being mainly a celebration for white British-convict Australians but there have been a cultural shift to include all Australians to throw a Halal kebab/sushi roll on the barbie. The current celebrations include many acknowledgements to the traditional owners of the land; the Aboriginals. Infact every official Aust Day event has to pay respect to Aboriginals and every event has a traditional smoking ceremony and traditional dance and music performance. It's a multicultural day where everyone comes together to celebrate being together in this awesome country.

Cue 2017:

Some third-tier of government; local councils; (you know the ones that are meant to organise bin collection and mowing of council parks) have taken it upon themselves to declare that they will not be celebrating Australia Day, instead they will be holding a day of mourning on behalf of Aboriginies whose land was stolen.

So far three inner-city councils Yarra, Darebin and Banyule have scrapped the celebrations. The Federal Government has cancelled their ability to hold Citizenship Ceremonies in response.

A third Melbourne council is planning to scrap Australia Day celebrations. Banyule Council in Melbourne's north-east will refer the matter to a committee and consult with the community before a potential vote on the plan.

But a growing number of indigenous elders have criticised moves to shift Australia Day, describing it as unhelpful and divisive. 'Local government people need to pull back a bit on this because the only way that could be changed if for the Commonwealth Government and put it to a referendum,' Indigenous elder Dr Robert Isaacs told Sky News.

Third Council to SCRAP Australia Day

The Turnbull government yesterday stripped the north Melbourne council of its power to hold citizenship ceremonies after it voted to move its Australia Day celebrations and awards ceremony from January 26 to an ­alternative date.

Assistant Minister for Immigration and Border Protection Alex Hawke announced the move a week after the government revoked the same powers from the neighbouring City of Yarra. “The Greens political party will not be allowed to hijack Australia Day through a small group of Greens-controlled local councils. The overwhelming majority of Australians support Australia Day remaining on January 26,” Mr Hawke said yesterday.

It turns out that Darebin City Council asked 200 residents about whether they wanted to change Australia Day. Of that only 81 wanted it to be scrapped or changed. That's 81 people out of 147,000 total residents.

Just 81 Darebin residents called for Australia Day BAN

More land Council considering DUMPING Australia Day

It seems like a few grass-roots (aka Astroturf) movements have jumped on the white guilt train and are really pushing for a destabilisation of our National Identity and divisiveness in the country.

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 02:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Kalixi

Good thread mate !

I cant believe this is happening..... and now statues are a target too....

Hey, I know..... Lets see what America does and lets copy them tomorrow....

Australia is losing its identity.

Anyways Captain James Cook was a twat-waffle with blue-waffle.

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 02:15 AM
link   
You forgot about Fremantle in WA.

I'm at a loss why I should say sorry (Yes, here we go) for something that I didn't do 200 plus years ago to people unaffected by what happened 200 years ago?

I've been an Australian for 19 years (Originally a Pom)

What the hell has what happened 200 years ago got to do with me today? I want to celebrate being Australian, not whine about the past and have to apologise?

Do Germans applogise to me every time I bump into one. "Oh Hi Benno, sorry mate for killing your family a few years back" ......................seriously. It's gone too far?!

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Yeah, they did this in Fremantle, too, but local business chipped in to hold their own fireworks. It's stupid, every time I've been to an Australia Day celebration, it has been completely inclusive, except for drunks who run amok for any reason.

Another really inane thing in Western Australia is a BMX club in Bull Creek, it has had for 37 years a logo using a confederate flag. Now, they're being called racist and have been demanded to remove the offensive image. The place is called Southside BMX Club and there is absolutely no damn way anyone here in 1980 was a good ol' boy sending their kids to the racist bike racing track... More SJW bollocks..

WA BMX Club fly confederate flag

Club president Sandra Winfield says the club did not want to offend or upset anyone.

Ms Winfield said the flag was chosen as it represented the stereotype of the American south, “good southern values, hospitality, loyalty and being family orientated”.

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 02:31 AM
link   
a reply to: CaptainBeno

Our ancestors fought wars and built this nation with their blood sweat and tears,yes there were some major ugly parts in Australias history from which we are supposed to learn and not repeat not erase.I have seen tens of thousands of Australian war graves in my time it would be sad if they all died for nothing.

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 02:45 AM
link   
a reply to: khnum

Absolutely! I I'll say this now, yes I respect that "they" are the traditional owners of the land and they have a history that far exceeds our own. However, I should not be made to feel like we are living in Jerusalem or something??? Such a small small small minority of people, yet feel everything we have brought to the country is theirs.

I'm sick of feeling like I owe them for something? I don't? Nothing at all?

We should NEVER change the date we all celebrate together. Can't we all be bloody friends? It annoys the hell out of me as you can probably tell.

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 02:46 AM
link   

This kind of thing was always going to happen.

Dunno why but things aboriginal are big issues these days, there are aboriginal shows on TV left right and centre these days leading up to the referundem on aboriginal recognition in the preamble to the Australian Commonwealth Constitution.

Anyway, this councial is clearly exceeding its powers. In fact the council has no power to make any bloody laws at all.

In 1986 and in 1988, the Australain people said "NO" to two referundems in a row to give councials law making capacity.

But typical of federal govt, they said stuff the people, we dont care what they want, we will do whatever we want.

Within two years all the states promptly passed all their local govt acts which supposedly gave councils law making capacity.

But they have a problem. In the mid 1970's, a thing known as the "Australian Parliament' was created NOT in accordance with the Australian Commonwealth Constitution and ALL 'laws' they have made since then are not legal. This is BECAUSE they have NOT been given Royal Assent as is requried by Section 58 of the Commonwealth Constitution - Royal Assent to Bills.

Perhaps you might like to write to the coucial and tell them you will accept their authority to make such 'rules' provided they show you a proclamation certificate that has been issued in accordance with Section 58 of the consitition, that gives them power to make this by-law.

This kind of sumbaggery by the Australian govt is turning Australia into another America or another Zimbabwe.

edit on 24-8-2017 by Azureblue because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 03:00 AM
link   

Christmas Day will be next. Just wait and see.

My thoughts,

bally

edit on 24-8-2017 by bally001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 03:03 AM
link   

People, we must have all seen this coming from miles away. One cannot watch a ball rolling along the ground with realizing that where its coming from will point to where its going.

This is only the beginning.

This destruction of national identity and national pride by suppression of free speech under the guise of tolerance and political correctness, is a global agenda item. Its underway in the US, the UK and Europe big time and it will not stop here unless we the people make it stop.

The best way to stop councils exceeding their power is to research and learn that local councils have no legitimacy under the Australian Commonwealth Constitution and they should be nothing more than a state government department like the health department or the education department.

When you have learnt this knowledge tell everyone you know and write about it locally as much as you can.

"If minorities prefer Sharia law, then we advise them to go to those places where that’s the state law. Russia does not need minorities. Minorities need Russia and we will not grant them special privileges, or try to change our laws to fit their desires, no matter how loud they yell ’Discrimination.” - Vladimir Putin

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 03:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: CaptainBeno
You forgot about Fremantle in WA.

I'm at a loss why I should say sorry (Yes, here we go) for something that I didn't do 200 plus years ago to people unaffected by what happened 200 years ago?

I've been an Australian for 19 years (Originally a Pom)

What the hell has what happened 200 years ago got to do with me today? I want to celebrate being Australian, not whine about the past and have to apologise?

Do Germans applogise to me every time I bump into one. "Oh Hi Benno, sorry mate for killing your family a few years back" ......................seriously. It's gone too far?!

Good points their Benno, thanks for making them.

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 03:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: scubagravy

Good thread mate !

I cant believe this is happening..... and now statues are a target too....

Australia is losing its identity. .

I agree and its a planned change IMO.

Many disagree with me here but IMO, the global agenda makers want all countries to loose their identify and national pride. A country without any national pride and national identity is a weak country and is an easy target for takeover. (note; not all take overs are achieved using guns.One only has to control to rule.)

A country with a strong sense of national pride and identity are difficult to take over because they have something to fight for.

Notice that Israel does not take in ANY middle eastern migrants and likely no migrants at all as permanent settlers.

IMO, the reason the global agenda setters want all countries to loose their identify and national pride is because globalisation calls for a one world government and by extension 'countries' named after their regional location such as Africa, America, Europe and Asia for example. Therefore individual countries will be amalgamated into regional 'countries.'

Sometime in the more distant future even they will be dissolved into "economies" and the word country/ies will cease to exist.

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 03:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Azureblue

People, we must have all seen this coming from miles away. One cannot watch a ball rolling along the ground with realizing that where its coming from will point to where its going.

This is only the beginning.

This destruction of national identity and national pride by suppression of free speech under the guise of tolerance and political correctness, is a global agenda item. Its underway in the US, the UK and Europe big time and it will not stop here unless we the people make it stop.

The best way to stop councils exceeding their power is to research and learn that local councils have no legitimacy under the Australian Commonwealth Constitution and they should be nothing more than a state government department like the health department or the education department.

When you have learnt this knowledge tell everyone you know and write about it locally as much as you can.

"If minorities prefer Sharia law, then we advise them to go to those places where that’s the state law. Russia does not need minorities. Minorities need Russia and we will not grant them special privileges, or try to change our laws to fit their desires, no matter how loud they yell ’Discrimination.” - Vladimir Putin

That quote is going on my facebook page, yes, I now have one, until Adolf zuckerburg wipes it.

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 03:54 AM
link   
Its all part of the globalists agenda .
Already been noticing its tendrils starting to reach out to asia the last couple years .

Its a virus that needs eradicated from the face of the planet .

Tell the councils to get stuffed and celebrate australia day anyway fark the globalist scum .

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 03:58 AM
link   

This is as ridiculous as proposing to do away with USA's the fourth of july or Canada day.

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 04:00 AM
link   
a reply to: scubagravy

What I loved about America when travelling through was the outright pride that many felt about their country. In some neighbourhoods a flag hangs from every house. Australia isn't like that. I remember an old neighbour who was a war veteran had an Aussie flag hanging from a pole in his front yard. It got stolen 5 or 6 times and either cut up or burnt remains left on his lawn the next day. He was defiant for a while but in the end they won. The last time they did it he caught them ran out into the front yard at night to confront them. He tripped down the driveway chasing them and was hospitalised and eventually shoved into a nursing home. The flag stealers turned out to be white uni students. Old enough to know better and white enough to hold onto a lot of white guilt. Still makes me angry thing about it.

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 04:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kalixi
a reply to: scubagravy

What I loved about America when travelling through was the outright pride that many felt about their country. In some neighbourhoods a flag hangs from every house. Australia isn't like that. I remember an old neighbour who was a war veteran had an Aussie flag hanging from a pole in his front yard. It got stolen 5 or 6 times and either cut up or burnt remains left on his lawn the next day. He was defiant for a while but in the end they won. The last time they did it he caught them ran out into the front yard at night to confront them. He tripped down the driveway chasing them and was hospitalised and eventually shoved into a nursing home. The flag stealers turned out to be white uni students. Old enough to know better and white enough to hold onto a lot of white guilt. Still makes me angry thing about it.

Too true... maybe two whining locals would write a letter to the council, and the council comes to rip it down or be fined...

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 04:22 AM
link   

It seems like a few grass-roots (aka Astroturf) movements have jumped on the white guilt train and are really pushing for a destabilisation of our National Identity and divisiveness in the country.

Aussie history parallels US . Day of days is marked by the invasion of british fleet, yaaay.

Here in the states kiddies are taught how important 1492 is, when Columbus 'Discovered' America.

Never mind that began the march of destruction for entire cultures and wholesale murder of org, inhabitants.

For whatever Crown...

Thanks for giving Ab-originals the honorable mention though.

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 04:32 AM
link   

First of all, the sample size of the survey conducted, which was posted as part of the article quoted and link in the OP, is far too small. You cannot base any decision of note on a survey of 200 people, unless they are the only 200 people being effected by the outcome of the decision. Furthermore, less than half of respondents were agreeable to the concept of cancelling the festivities, so how they came to the decision is even further beyond my grasp, save to say that someone clearly took the decision without having the right or the numbers behind them to do so. That is a gravely concerning habit, amongst local legislators, in many parts of the world it seems. Lord knows my local council do things they have been expressly ordered NOT to do by the people, on a near constant basis, so I can see how this came about in some respects, although not in others.

All of that being said, Australia Day being celebrated on the day that the first British fleets arrived to deliver the colonists to the place, is a bloody insensitive and ridiculous idea. Its like Britain deciding that the element of fire ought to be celebrated on the day of the year that the Blitz started. Fire is pretty, warm, and can be bloody lovely, but on that day of the year in history, started something appalling, and that is not to be celebrated. Similarly, the invasion of a pristine, natural location, already populated by a culture, by another culture which then proceeded to spend a great deal of time and effort in subjugation of the native culture, and yet more time destroying the habitats of native creatures of the land involved, seems a bloody hard sell when laid out in honest fashion.

It would make a damned sight more sense, to pick a different day of the year, and celebrate Australia as it is today, without referring necessarily to the awful events which took place after the arrival of British ships on its shoreline.

One should celebrate ones nation occasionally, celebrate the community which exists in current times, be grateful and thankful for whatever bounty ones life might feature, whether it be the joy of community, the flora and the fauna with which one is surrounded, the culture which has arisen from whatever components are present. One should be able to be proud of ones nation, and love it enough to celebrate its existence, its quirks, its every facet and those of its people, all of them.

However, the idea that you can celebrate Australia Day by commemorating the beginning one of the darkest moments of its existence as a continent, is utterly outrageous to me.

But whatever my opinion of the timing of celebrations, the decision to call off the celebrations entirely was one that should not have been made by either an individual, a small cadre of the same, or for that matter, a survey which questioned less than half of the people who would be affected by its outcome. Democracy demands better, if not fully representative surveying, and absolute obedience to the will of the people. Whether I agree with their choices on a matter is less important, than whether the people had a say, and its safe to assume, that no, they did not.

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 04:38 AM
link   

last year's winner was a Sudanese refugee who is now a refugee lawyer

Um no it wasn't.

Last year's winner was Lieutenant General David Morrison.

This year's was Alan Mackay-Sim.

I don't see any Sudanese refugees on the Australian of the year list..

en.m.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 04:46 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

But historically Australia was visited and the northern parts colonized by Spanish, Portuguese and Japs well before the First Fleet. There are a band of archaeologists that claim to have found and transcribed ancient hieroglyphics and a pyramid near Gympie

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join