It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does anybody read scf-fi anymore?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 07:51 AM
link   

What are your favourite books? (No film/TV series tie-ins please).

And yet the dirst one you mention was both done in film and tv?

Just because they are tie-ins doesn't mean they are some kind of "lesser" literature. Personally, my faves are the Star Wars novels, but I also enjoy the Dragonriders of Pern series, as well as the Xanth novels.

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 04:53 PM
link   
i love the dragon lance sires. the red one blue one and green one.
i love tom clancey i know he isnt all science fiction but some of his works are.

The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy i am reading so far and im loving it

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Science Fiction is certainly not dead, that is apparent if you walk into any book store. I think the section gets larger everytime I go in. Science fiction and fantasy seem to be a real running thing on television too. I'm mostly a horror fan and prefer Stephen King, John Saul, James Herbert, and Dean Koontz. The last science fiction book I read was "Mona Lisa Overdrive" by William Gibson.

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 11:41 PM
link   
I just finished a Sci-fiFantasy book, The Catswold portal, bye Shirley Rouseau murphy, it was vcery interesting, it was set in the late 50s, both in our world and the "Netherworld, a huge cavernous world underground, it had sentient cats and people who could turn into cats, and egyptian gods.

I know the origonal poster said not to mention books based after tv shows, but I am reading a StarGate SG-1 book, and have read several StarTrek books.

I am going to buy some more Sci-Fi boooks next week as well, and Deadly is right, the Sci-Fi/Fantasy sections are huge, there are 2 bookstores in the mall I go to, one of them has a small section of Sci-fi, but the other one (its a big store) has 1/4 of the store devoted to Sci-Fi/fantasy.

posted on Jan, 25 2006 @ 10:51 PM
link   
I have to agree with the moderator Star Wars novels are great!!! I'm on Traitor by Matthew Stover in the New Jedi Order series (a little behind on my Star Wars)
I also love the Honor Harrington Series by David Weber
The StarFist series by Sherman/Cragg
The fantasy series "A song of Ice and Fire" by George R.R. Martin
And yes... I read Battletech.
Oh, almost forgot, the Starfire novels by David Weber and Steve White are absolutely fantastic.
Really wish they would write more in the Babylon 5 universe, loved that show.
Star Wars RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Jan, 25 2006 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Wow, I forgot about this thread, I would have listed the sci-fi books I've been reading if I had remembered it.

The last Sci-Fi book I read was "Pandora's Star", sorry don't have the book near me, so I can't write the author, but the guy who writes it, two words "Literary genius", it's the best sci-fi novel I've ever read, actually I just finished reading it for a third time.

posted on Jan, 26 2006 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Obsessively

Right now I am reading the Chung Kuo series by David Wingrove, where the Chinese have taken over the planet and the Earth is covered by a giant planet-spanning arcology, a City with a population of forty billion.

Some of my favorite authors: Greg Egan, Richard K. Morgan, Samuel R. Delany, Stephen Baxter, Vernor Vinge, Dan Simmons, Philip K. Dick, William S. Burroughs, Greg Bear, Fredrick Pohl, Robert A. Heinlein, David Brin, Kim Stanley Robinson, CJ Cherryh, Gregory Benford, Bruce Sterling, Arthur C. Clarke, Larry Niven, William Gibson, Ursula K. Leguin, Neal Stephenson, Roger Zelanzy & Isaac Asimov.

posted on Sep, 12 2006 @ 03:43 AM
link   
For about five years I read nearly all books with the Hero "Atlan"

I tried to read Perry Rhodan novels too...but this was too spaced out for me

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 05:06 PM
link   
I'm devouring some books from Keith Laumer's Bolo series as of the moment.
And I'd recommend John Ringo's "A Hymn Before Battle"; you can read it free at this site.

Click here for lots of free titles available for download.

niv

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 04:07 PM
link   
I read sf constantly, and am currently working my way through the Praxis trilogy by Walter Jon Williams - a very enjoyable space opera.

I'll say something controversial. I love reading sf but hate watching sf movies or tv. I find the non-book versions often silly and unwatchable, even when they are made from books that I've enjoyed.

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Well since no one has said it “no I don’t read sci-fi anymore but I don’t read it any less” but seriously folks... sci-fi and fantasy is about the only thing I read consistently. Modesett jr., the old and new dune books, cyber punk, distopia, alternate reality…

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 03:34 PM
link   
As my name suggests I'm a big fan of sci-fi.

Just wanted to add my bit, as there are a few names that haven't been mentioned a should be read if you get the chance. Iain M Banks (not to confuded with Iain Banks - same guy but very different genre - good though), his books are very dark and political, quite hard going but well worth it. Alfred Bester is mind blowing and if you've read William Gibson (Neuromancer is not only one of the best sci-fis ever written it actually stands up in my top ten of the best books I've ever read) you must try Bruce Sterling - fantastic stuff.

I've recently been reading early Heinlen (Starship Troopers and especially Tunnel in the Sky which was inspiring) having read the majority of his later works.

The classics deserve a mention too, Huxley's Brave New World, Orwell's 1984 and Well's Time Machine etc. The latter may be dated but like Austen's Pride and Predjudice, still a damn good read.

And to my name, the guy who started my love of sci-fi the great Kurt Vonnegut.

A good point was raised about people not reading at all let alone sci-fi - I know of so many people and hear it in iterviews, that say that they don't read books - we wonder why the world is the way it is when the only written media that some people read are the newspapers and magazines. It's very very sad....

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I'm really trying to find time in my life to read more, and I am currently about 1/3 of the way through the New Jedi Order series. I know I'm a little behind, but so far they have all been really good and fast reads.

posted on Mar, 19 2007 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I really only read Fantasy books by Salvatore and the Dragonlance series by Weis and Hickman. Everytime i go into the book store i stand in front of the Dune books and think about buying them, so i'll ask are they like 2001:Space Oddysey and 20 times better than the movie? If so i'll deffinately pick them up. I've read that the new Dune books aren't nearly as good as the ones by Frank Herbert.

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 10:58 AM
link   
An author worth checking out is the Scottish writer Iain Banks. Excellent titles include State of The Art and Consider Phlebas. I envy the people who haven't read his litrature because they've got the joy of reading his whole collection ahead of them.

posted on Mar, 22 2007 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Any book by David Brin. Especially the Uplift novels.

posted on Aug, 14 2007 @ 07:35 AM
link   
O yes. Have a huge collection of Larry Niven, all the Rama books and Helliconia books.

I read both old and new Sci-fi and have just finished Liz Williams's Banner of Souls.

One of my gripes at the public library is they seem to lump Sci-fi and Fantasy together, and no matter how many times I mention this, they do not seem to understand.

Edn

posted on Aug, 16 2007 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei
The last Sci-Fi book I read was "Pandora's Star", sorry don't have the book near me, so I can't write the author, but the guy who writes it, two words "Literary genius", it's the best sci-fi novel I've ever read, actually I just finished reading it for a third time.

I was reading through this thread wondering if anyone had read any of his books, the genius you speak of is Peter F. Hamilton, if you haven't already go get Judas Unchained which concludes Pandora's Star you might also (don't know if its in the US yet) want to get the Dreaming Void after that which is set in the same universe, it was just released (I got it a week early
)

posted on Aug, 17 2007 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Posted to this thread:

fantsy or sci-fi world you would like to live in

And have decided to re-read Brian Aldiss's Helliconia trilogy.

posted on Aug, 18 2007 @ 06:06 AM
link   
I have always liked the work of H Beam Piper, Project Gutenburg has all I think all of his books availiable online.

Project Gutenburg

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join