It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does anybody read scf-fi anymore?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Does anybody besides me still read sci-fi any more? Most of the posts here seem to be about movies and TV shows etc. Surely I can't be the only one that likes to pick up a real book now and then?

What are your favourite books? (No film/TV series tie-ins please).

To kick things off here's a few of my favourite books and authors:

The Dune series
Almost anything by A.C. Clarke
The Forever War by Joe Hadelman
Alyister Reynolds
Vernor Vinge

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Yeah, i was just thinking the other day, what do kids read today. i tried to get my daughter to read Stanger in a Strange Land and she looked at me like i was stupid. Heinlein is one of the all time greats andthis generation doesn't even know about him. I would also recommend the Riverworld series by P.J. Farmer and the WellWorld series by Jack Chalker. Both are slightly dated but still great reads.

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 08:06 AM
link   
I read alot of sci fi mostly Asimov. I can't decide which of his books is my favorite but I'm leaning to stars like dust.

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Doh! Heinlein! How could I forget him!

My kids love the Starship Troopers movie, but only managed about 10 pages each of the book......Not enough guns n things going boom i suspect.

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Not exclusively, but sometimes.

At the moment I am in the middle of The Art of War, The Kafka Effect, The Encycolpedia of Cats and an issue of Discover magazine that I forgot I had.

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 12:13 PM
link   
I was just looking at my book shelves and counted over 50 books that I have not read yet.

The books vary but there is a lot of sci-fi there...................

The last novel I read was Deepsix by Jack McDevitt.

posted on Feb, 9 2005 @ 01:50 PM
link   
thats not the question

the question should be does anyone just simply read anymore?

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I do, the last two Sci-fi books I read were;

EON by Greg Bear
Digital Fortress by Dan Brown

and I'm currently reading "The Shiva Option" by David Weber and
Steve White.

Theres a few series of books about talking cats that solve mysteries that I read, I suppose thats Sci-Fi.

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Im a big fan of Greg Bear, im just finishing off The Forge of God. I also read Blood Music, Eon and the Infinity Concerto by Mr Bear i think the only one i havent read is The Serpent Mage.
Ive also got the Necroscope sieries to read by Brian Lumbly, not Sci-Fi but an interesting new take on the Vampire Mythos. It does have some elements of Sci-Fi in there though, like a stable wormhole to another dimention devestated by Vampires. Trust me its not as corny as it sounds.

The Necroscope

[edit on 10-2-2005 by Janus]

posted on Feb, 10 2005 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Vernor Venge (Across Realtime Series, Zones of Thought Series)
Roger Zelazny (Chronicles of Amber)
Neil Stephenson (Snow Crash, Cryptonomicon)

Wonder how many here have read any Phillip K. Dick. You might be surprised at how many modern movies owe their concepts to his work. (Blade Runner, Paycheck, Total Recall, Minority Report)

Of course,

Issac Azimov
Robert A. Heinlien
Arthur C. Clark
Ursula LeGuin

posted on Feb, 13 2005 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mizar
I read alot of sci fi mostly Asimov. I can't decide which of his books is my favorite but I'm leaning to stars like dust.

Asimov has to be my all time fav scifi author. I just recently found out that my boss( who used to be a nurse a few years ago) nursed him on his death bed and he died around my neigborhood( I think). My boss said something like "He's an a-hole" UH how dare she?
I just finished reading the 4th installment of the Ender series( The children of the mind) Makes you think twice about how human and how animalistic we really are.

[edit on 13-2-2005 by I_s_i_s]

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 08:19 PM
link   
I like Niel Stevenson and David Brim.

Always looking for a good scfi book.

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 11:28 AM
link   
I read more horror than anything else (Koontz, King mostly), but I do make it a point to read every single Star Wars novel that comes out...
You know, trekkies have their nickname...wth is it for Star Wars fanatics???
I guess, since I don't know...I'm not one?

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Since I initialy posted, I've read four Sci-fi novels.

Haydn of Mars
Less than Human
The Shiva option
Ascendant sun

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Philip K Dick is OK by me, and for something a little different, explore the common themes of John Fowles 'A Maggot' and G's 'Beelzebub's Tales To His Grandson'.

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Isaac Asimov, Robert Heinlein, Larry Niven, Arthur C. Clarke, Frank Herbert, L. Ron Hubbard, Ursula Le Guin, Roger Zelazny, Poul Anderson for some old authors (about half of them are dead, the rest are senior citizens). If you like new sci-fi, try Tad Williams, Orson Scott Card, William Gibson, Michael Crichton. I'm more of a fantasy book person myself, but sci-fi is a strong 2nd. If I haven't helped yet, try this website:

www.fantasticfiction.co.uk...

Any author I have ever looked for on that website, is there. You can see all the books they have written, the year of publication. You get author bios, and for some books, summaries similar to those off the back cover (sometimes plagiarized of the back cover, I've noticed, lol) Go there and look under sci-fi to find new authors or to find new books by favorite authors. I cannot recommend this site highly enough.

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Any of you guys read any of Harry Turtledove's books? If not I would suggest that you do.

posted on Mar, 18 2005 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Have to give my
for Roger Zelazny, Robert Heinlein, Frank Herbert and Larry Niven - the greats.

One author who I only read one of her novels (can't even remember the title anymore) was Andre Norton - she died today. I'm going to find one of her books this weekend and give her another looksy.

Author Andre Norton dies at 93

B

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 10:34 AM
link   
I like to read David Drake, John Ringo, David Weber, and other of military SF.

I also like Eddings.

I have also read Turtledove, and have read all the books on the Lost Regiment.

Currently, I am into Koontz, Criton, John Saul, and Robert Jorden.

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 10:57 AM
link   
I love science fiction I am reading right now Decipher by stel pavlou, and the last one I read is a movie now, Sahara, I tell you is some people like me that still love a good science fiction novel.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join