It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Becoming a Racist: The Unfortunate Side Effect of Serving Your Country?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 06:23 AM
link   
a reply to: daskakik

If the issue is of people not being white, Why isn't there outrage over all the VA doctors?
The majority of doctors at my VA are of middle eastern descent.
My primary care doctor: Pakistani
My Psychiatrist : Pakistani
My former primary care doctor : Pakistani
My dentist: Caucasian

I see post 9/11 vets come through the VA almost as much as Vietnam vets now.
In all the time I have spent at the VA (former employee and current patient), I have never heard a single racist comment.

To add,
I am part of the SVO (student veteran's organization) at my local university.
The majority of members are post 9/11 vets with a few nontraditional students thrown in the mix.
Many vets congregate between classes and I have heard (and participated in) many conversations covering a vast amount of topics in the SVO. I have never heard a racist comment. Never.

I have, however, heard them bash the SJW's on campus. They really don't like them. Especially all the kids that now have "service" dogs" on campus and use up all the handicapped parking (many with fake handicapped placards made by a Chinese art student named Leo for $50 a piece).
With all the members of the SVO that I encounter, I have yet to meet one with a service dog on campus either.

The vets are mainly complaining about the new tobacco policy implemented this fall and the removal of the veteran's parking area. It was only 5 spots in front of the SVO.

Edit:
After I posted this, I remembered an instance involving racist comments.
I recall a guy I was deployed with that went on a racist tirade after he found out that he couldn't have bacon.

But come on, it was BACON!

Misplaced bacon rage.
I know, that's not an excuse.

edit on 24-8-2017 by abago71 because: Added last statement

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 07:46 AM
link   
a reply to: face23785

I mean there is plenty of intra-unit cohesion and cooperation. One of the most multi-racial squads in my battery (I was in field artillery) told racist jokes to each other on the regular but they all understood it was good natured ribbing. On the other hand, just about everyone in my unit (including myself) referred to pretty much any Middle Eastern person as "Hadji" or even worse "Sand N*****". Hadji, a character from the Johnny Quest series, isn't even a Muslim... He's Indian.

Dehumanization is a recognized tactic that the Army readily employs to get the soldiers willing to shoot at their enemies, but once you leave the military, those dehumanized beliefs tend to remain and are hard to shake. Thus it could morph into rampant xenophobia against all Muslims if left unchecked. From there further racist beliefs could potentially develop if you self-segregate into your own people.

To be honest, the military forces integration. If you don't continue to apply it to your life once you are a veteran then those feelings could wane over time.
edit on 24-8-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 10:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: abago71
If the issue is of people not being white,

The issue is people living through tough times in foreign lands and coming back with the an attitude of "those people are animals".

According to the anecdote provided in the article, some only ever show this within trusted circles. I have seen this from people of different races and often just different groups. People are generally polite in public.

Misplaced bacon rage.

No such animal. Loving bacon is not a hate crime.
edit on 24-8-2017 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 07:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Kettu

This is something I have observed as well. The people I know back home, mostly liberals but not all, who think they are progressive, inclusive, etc are often the ones who see everything through lenses of color and make generalized comments about certain groups. As long as it's not one of the pet groups of their belief system, they don't see it as wrong.

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Nice semantics. You'll take note I didn't quote him, I paraphrased. It might mean that it's a small amount, except he made no attempt to quantify anything so it's an uneducated guess. The word "if" is much more appropriate in such a circumstance, it's just another example of what an awful writer he is. He didn't take the time to try to quantify anything, probably because that would've taken too much time and he wouldn't have gotten to capitalize on all the Charlottesville angst by then.

He did no research and apparently didn't ask anyone knowledgeable for comment because there's no quotes from anyone or even an indication he tried to contact anyone. There's a one-sided accusation that the military doesn't do enough with no mention of any of the programs the military and the VA do have to deal with these sorts of things and no comment from the military or the VA on what they think of his assertions and whether they are working on new programs. There's no indication that he made any effort to find out any additional information at all. The way it reads, basically he heard or read a snippet of an interview, with no way of knowing whether the info he heard was even correct, drew his own conclusions based on his completely inadequate level of personal knowledge, and didn't bother to check whether any of his assumptions were correct. He just wrote about it. The only "evidence" he offers is a quasi-related anecdote about his father's experience as a police officer.

It's essentially a rambling blog by someone with zero subject matter expertise that was given credence on a major news outlet. It's a joke.
edit on 24 8 17 by face23785 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 08:19 PM
link   

I quoted him.

In paraphrasing you changed what they were actually saying. Why bother to post a link if you are just going to make something up?

ETA: Yes it is an opinion piece based in part on their personal anecdote. It isn't like they were presenting it as an in depth study, so what are you complaining about?

Just noticed that even the title is in the form of a question.
edit on 24-8-2017 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 08:31 PM
link   

It would change what he was saying if it was based in fact, it's not. He made an unfounded claim and did nothing whatsoever to back it up. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but it's a good idea to make sure your opinion is formed around factual information, particularly if you're writing for a national news org. I know, I know, me and my ridiculous expectations that people should know something about what they're writing about, or at least reach out to people who do. Like I said, it's essentially a glorified blog post. The fact they paid him to "contribute" that garbage is scary.

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 09:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: face23785
It would change what he was saying if it was based in fact, it's not.

So? He never said it was. You are the one making it out to be what it isn't.

He made an unfounded claim and did nothing whatsoever to back it up. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but it's a good idea to make sure your opinion is formed around factual information, particularly if you're writing for a national news org.

Not really. That is on the reader.

I know, I know, me and my ridiculous expectations that people should know something about what they're writing about, or at least reach out to people who do. Like I said, it's essentially a glorified blog post. The fact they paid him to "contribute" that garbage is scary.

Opinion pieces have always been part of newspapers and magazines. Wasn't a problem before.

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 09:56 PM
link   
The ONLY time I saw race is when a shammer SP4 tried to use the EO to get out of work,and his BLACK sargent had a wall to wall,with him.

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 10:04 PM
link   

You didn't understand the first point you responded to, but that's ok, it's on the reader. He said something that's not true, and I took issue with it. Are you arguing people should be able to write things that aren't true as long as they call it an opinion piece? He absolutely did make an unfounded claim. If there's evidence to back his claim up, where is it?

Now, here's a beaut. What exactly is your final point supposed to mean? Is my criticism invalid because I haven't criticized every other opinion piece ever written? This one came to my attention, I had something to say about it, and I wrote about it. That's essentially all this jackwagon did too. I've got news for you, reader reaction has always been a part of media too. Stop pretending this is just having a problem with opinions. If you have to make # up to make your point, you have no point. It's having a problem with baseless opinions that aren't backed up by facts. You should contact him and exchange notes, you're not backing up anything you're saying either. Get your little reply in so you can sleep tonight, you've got nothing of substance to offer on this.

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 10:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: face23785
You didn't understand the first point you responded to, but that's ok, it's on the reader. He said something that's not true, and I took issue with it. Are you arguing people should be able to write things that aren't true as long as they call it an opinion piece? He absolutely did make an unfounded claim. If there's evidence to back his claim up, where is it?

He asked a question. He posed a what if.

Yes, it is alright to write those kinds of articles and, by definition, they are not fact based.

What exactly is your final point supposed to mean?

It means that people understand what these types of articles are and don't make a big deal out of it. Well, most people.

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 07:46 AM
link   
I can agree with that.

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 03:30 PM
link   

You took that pretty hard.

In my day-to-day work, I didn't see anything that came close to racism. I had heard from other vets in other units and branches who relayed their experiences to me.

I served during the 2000's. Before the 'big' news breaks about rape denials and rape allegations being covered up by various commands.

What I experienced wasn't what you might expect sexism to be, a slap on the butt or a cat-call, but the 'locker room talk' that the POTUS engages in. Guys who simply could not, under any circumstances, manage to look at their female counterparts as coworkers/battle buddies/wingmen but as sexual objects.

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 04:18 PM
link   
a reply to: links234

So you experienced people being immature. Everyone experiences that, males and females. I experienced it from both sides. I had to step in and stop things like that before, and I also had to step in and stop such interactions between 2 males, and even occasionally straighten out a female that had been disrespectful to a male. That's not sexism, it's just people being assholes. Sexism is when someone stereotypes you or discriminates against you because of your gender. Passing you up for promotion because they don't think a woman should be a supervisor is sexism. Immature jokes or comments are not sexism. If the worst you experienced is locker room talk, you had the same experience as every male service member, and frankly every young person that has any kind of social life whether they went into the military or not. It's not inherent to a specific gender or career path, it's just people being immature and you shouldn't take it as some kind of assault on your womanhood, because it's not. That does a serious disservice to people who are genuinely discriminated against.

That said I thank you for your service.
edit on 25 8 17 by face23785 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join