It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Catastrophic rainfall predicted for TX, LA, gulf coast region.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Local weather stations are currently reporting the storm as cat 1 hurricane and are expecting a stall along the coastline tomorrow sometime with strength increasing. Also lots or rain is expected to pour on the already saturated area. We have had continual rains throughout the entire summer with hardly a day or two going by dry.

Here in south Louisiana we are still recovering from a major flood that happened a year ago this month. We do pool together to help each other, and we also have help that comes in from the outside. It all works out well.
edit on 24-8-2017 by csimon because: edit: cat 1 must be a projection or forecast because I cannot find anything to back it up.

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 10:20 AM
link   
a reply to: texasgirl

Best combination when you're shored up and drunk!

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 10:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: PlasticWizard
a reply to: Arnie123

Just south of San Antonio here, we're going to alot of rain bud. San Antonio will probably flood. Like it did in 2010. Once it hits land, its going to bring alot of rain across the state. My house flooded in 2010. Fema came out and all that jazz.

My mom's in Houston. Worried about her.
And it begans!! Bring it on MOTHERNATURE!!!

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 10:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: quercusrex
I'm on target for a direct hit and sleeping at a lovely 7 ft above sea level. Yay! Aransas Bay should have some fun this weekend.

I'll post current conditions in my area as often and as long as possible.
😲🙈 Stay Safe!!

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 10:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: quercusrex
I'm on target for a direct hit and sleeping at a lovely 7 ft above sea level. Yay! Aransas Bay should have some fun this weekend.

I'll post current conditions in my area as often and as long as possible.

Stay safe! Last I heard storm surge possible up to 7 ft. Now that it's expected to be a Cat 3 hurricane the storm surge may be higher.

Please be careful and have an evacuation plan ready.

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 10:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: texasgirl
a reply to: GuidedKill

Beer and pop tarts? LOL! Do those go well together?

I have no idea but apparently they are the biggest sellers in Wally World prior to a storm hitting....

The experts mined the data and found that the stores would indeed need certain products -- and not just the usual flashlights. "We didn't know in the past that strawberry Pop-Tarts increase in sales, like seven times their normal sales rate, ahead of a hurricane," Ms. Dillman said in a recent interview. "And the pre-hurricane top-selling item was beer."

LINK

I can't lie when a storm comes near my area I hit the farm/hunting camp. We have a generator with about a months worth of propane to run the house and all the cookers and heaters/ac for the house. So when a hurricane does hit my parties have a little better menu than just pop tarts! I like to suffer the storm with a steak and a nice rocker of whiskey...

I don't need FEMA!!!

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 10:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: jadedANDcynical
a reply to: pravdaseeker

Texas Gulf Coast between Houston and Galveston.

Been through many a storm throughout my nearly 50 years and have made the necessary prep to hunker down and ride it out. Never flooded here through all the prior storms going back to Camille, and so hope that continues.

Stay safe everyone, and if you haven't, check out North Atlantic Hurricane Watch 2017 for a lot of great suggestions and links related to hurricane and tropical storm preparation.

Will report in throughout.

Oh my gosh, Jaded...Please be safe. I'll be thinking of you this weekend!

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 10:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: tigertatzen

originally posted by: Arnie123
San Antonio here and we're expecting some of this action.

I may go streaking.

I'm in San Antonio too...small world. I've got people in Corpus and they're evacuating the base there and other places. I'm not looking forward to this...I'm on the south side of the soup bowl.
It is a small world!! cool!!
Northwest side here, Hueb and IH10. There is a huge flood zone on Vance Jackson. Stay safe.

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 10:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: texasgirl
a reply to: GuidedKill

Beer and pop tarts? LOL! Do those go well together?
Perfect storm food, sitting in the balcony and watching the neighborhood wash away.

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 10:29 AM
link   

I may go streaking.

I'm in San Antonio too...small world. I've got people in Corpus and they're evacuating the base there and other places. I'm not looking forward to this...I'm on the south side of the soup bowl.
Northwest side here, Hueb and IH10. There is a huge flood zone on Vance Jackson. Stay safe.

I'm in San Antonio several times a year myself!! I buy a lot of farm and feeder equipment out of Atacosa South of San Antonio. I love the area and the good Mexican food eats!!

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 10:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: GuidedKill

I may go streaking.

I'm in San Antonio several times a year myself!! I buy a lot of farm and feeder equipment out of Atacosa South of San Antonio. I love the area and the good Mexican food eats!!

Oh man!! Tex Mex is the best!! Good to see some members in and out, around San Antonio, TX.
Go Spurs Go!

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 10:43 AM
link   
The National Hurricane Center is now forecasting a major hurricane at landfall.

www.nhc.noaa.gov...

Key points from their 10 am(cdt) discussion:

1. Harvey has intensified quickly this morning, and is now forecast
to be a major hurricane at landfall, bringing life-threatening storm
surge, rainfall, and wind hazards to portions of the Texas coast.
Preparations to protect life and property should be completed by
tonight, as tropical-storm-force winds will first arrive in the
hurricane and storm surge warning areas on Friday.

2. A Storm Surge Warning is in effect for much of the Texas coast.
Life-threatening storm surge flooding could reach heights of 6 to 10
feet above ground level at the coast between the north entrance of
the Padre Island National Seashore and Sargent. For a depiction of
areas at risk, see the Storm Surge Watch/Warning Graphic at
hurricanes.gov.

3. Life-threatening flooding is expected across much of the Texas
coast from heavy rainfall of 12 to 20 inches, with isolated amounts
as high as 30 inches, from Friday through early next week. Please
refer to products from your local National Weather Service office
and the NOAA Weather Prediction Center for more information on the
flooding hazard.

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 11:03 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

It's probably overblown for 90% of the population but that 10% in low lying flood prone areas, need to be aware its probably gonna flood to the point where you should be ready to bug out. Watched my grandmother's house that never flooded in 50 years, swamp the first floor basement to the ceiling in less than 20 minutes one night. Not to mention nobody knows where that might be so potentially every body needs a heads up. If it saves one stubborn family from having to rescued later the proclamations are worth it. That guy with his butt hanging out as he is hoisted onto a helicopter,didn't plan for his afternoon to be spent that way.

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 11:14 AM
link   

I may go streaking.

You too! I'm smack in the middle of the downtown area near Southtown, right by the river. People are already getting drunk lol😜😜😜

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 11:16 AM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

Check out the National Hurricane Center graphic on rainfall. There is a widespread area that is expected to get over 20". That is a catastrophic amount of rain.

The major problem is this storm is expected to stall once it makes landfall. That is why we are expecting a major flood event over a large area.

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 11:16 AM
link   

I may go streaking.

You too! I'm smack in the middle of the downtown area near Southtown, right by the river. People are already getting drunk lol😜😜😜

I'm on my way!! I could use a good buzz and a cool down from an afternoon rain shower!!

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Breaking news: Winds now at 80 mph so it's become a hurricane. Official announcement coming shortly...

edit on 24-8-2017 by texasgirl because: (no reason given)

Wait...Did I hear that right? Saying the way it's expected to slow down it could actually reach winds to 150 mph. Isn't that almost a Cat 5?!! Anyone else hear this, too?
edit on 24-8-2017 by texasgirl because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 11:58 AM
link   
We're are a bit inland in south central. Preparing for major rain. Harvey will be real close unless he moves farther west.

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 12:00 PM
link   
The latest reports from the hurricane hunter show a wind speed of 76 knots, aprox 85 mph.

This means Harvey is now a hurricane. Expect a special advisory from the NHC any moment.

Update, it is official Hurricane Harvey is estimated to have sustained winds of 80 mph.

Last night we had a tropical depression, now we will likely see a major hurricane make landfall in Texas. We knew it would be a major flood event yesterday, now we are likely to see significant wind damage and storm surge also.
edit on 24-8-2017 by jrod because: Add

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 12:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: jrod
a reply to: putnam6

Check out the National Hurricane Center graphic on rainfall. There is a widespread area that is expected to get over 20". That is a catastrophic amount of rain.

The major problem is this storm is expected to stall once it makes landfall. That is why we are expecting a major flood event over a large area.

Yes, exactly... hope it fizzles but that seems unlikely. everybody stay safe and check on your neighbors especially the senior citizens.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join