It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump threatens government shutdown over border wall funding

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2017 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Trump threatens government shutdown over border wall funding

President Trump on Tuesday threatened to shut down the federal government if Congress doesn't present him with a spending bill for the next fiscal year that includes funding for a wall on the southern border.

"The obstructionist Democrats would like us not to do it, but believe me, if we have to close down our government, we're building that wall," Trump said at a rally in Phoenix.

Ok, the article goes on and on - but - what I don't get is back when Barry was in office in 2006? It was voted on by the Dems and passed.

Fact check

White House budget director Mick Mulvaney said he doesn’t understand Democratic opposition to funding the border wall because top Democrats voted for it just over 10 years ago.

On “Fox News Sunday” this week, Mulvaney scolded Democrats for obstructing action on Trump’s border wall and pointed to the voting record of top Democrats in 2006.

“We want our priorities funded and one of the biggest priorities during the campaign was border security, keeping Americans safe, and part of that was a border wall,” he said.

The article goes on to say:

“We still don’t understand why the Democrats are so wholeheartedly against it.

They voted for it in 2006. Then-Sen. Obama voted for it. Sen. Schumer voted for it. Sen. Clinton voted for it.

So we don’t understand why Democrats are now playing politics just because Donald Trump is in office.”

Besides my opinion the ACT Dem's are just big babies who believe we're still living in Junior High and if you're not one of the 'in crowd' you're out?

Facts are the Wall was agreed on.

So why doesn't the Trump administration push a vote for the financing - for something already voted on and then get 'er done?

peace
edit on 4806Wednesday201713 by silo13 because: never mind

posted on Aug, 23 2017 @ 01:09 PM
link   
a reply to: silo13

Ok, the article goes on and on - but - what I don't get is back when Barry was in office in 2006? It was voted on by the Dems and passed.

"Barry was in office" is the key term here. The Dems will oppose everything Trump brings up, even if they voted for it during Obama's term.

posted on Aug, 23 2017 @ 01:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: silo13

So why doesn't the Trump administration push a vote for the financing - for something already voted on and then get 'er done?

peace

I don't see why Trump doesn't simply fund the wall immediately out of his own pocket. He's a billionaire with more than enough wealth to construct the entire wall right now.

He can lobby the government for reimbursement afterwords.

But, why does he have to shut down the whole government, deny all those employees their paycheck, just to build his private wall?

That's a really mean position to take.

President Trump, if you're listening, build the wall with your own funds.

If the wall is what the American People want, they will pay you back with interest, for your willingness to sacrifice your own immediate wealth for the good of the nation. Self-sacrifice and service is what makes a good President.

Lead by example.

It's within your power to build the wall, and not just talk about it.

Sign an executive order, and use your own funds, just like you used your own funds to run your campaign.

Put your money where your mouth is.

Don't make others suffer a useless political fight over funding.

posted on Aug, 23 2017 @ 01:13 PM
link   

I thought Mexico was going to pay for the wall!

posted on Aug, 23 2017 @ 01:15 PM
link   

The dems and repubs do not want to do anything. Hillary is supposed to president, she would not be forcing them to do things that TPTB do not want.

posted on Aug, 23 2017 @ 01:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword

You bought that line?

Oh it wasn't a lie, it just wasn't true.

That makes sense, right Trumpers?

posted on Aug, 23 2017 @ 01:19 PM
link   

They will when NAFTA gets ash-canned.

posted on Aug, 23 2017 @ 01:20 PM
link   
"" Trump threatens government shutdown over border wall funding ""

Good.

Maybe they'll get something done for once.

posted on Aug, 23 2017 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: AMPTAH

just to build his private wall?

His wall? Pretty much think it's OUR wall - but I get your point.

peace

posted on Aug, 23 2017 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Jefferton

Well, Trump campaigned on building the wall and on the fact that Mexico would pay for it. Trump claimed last night that he campaigned and won because Americans want the wall, (they were told Mexico would pay for). So, I guess Trump believes his constituents "bought it".

But ironically, now Trump is threatening to shut down the government if Congress doesn't make American tax payers pay for the wall, and he's blaming the Democrats for breaking his promise to the American people. And the Trumpsters are buying it, hook line and sinker!

You can't make this stuff up!

posted on Aug, 23 2017 @ 01:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jefferton

You bought that line?

Wait til Canada builds a wall, to stop the influx of all those refugees escaping Trump, and Canada sends the US a bill for the wall.

That's should be fun.

There's another reality developing North of the border.

Canada is being flooded with people running north, just like the US was being flooded with Mexicans.

Whoever is South of the Walls, need to pay the bill, because that's where the people are coming from, that requires these Walls.

I think the US will get the bigger bill, since the US-Canada border is much longer.

edit on 23-8-2017 by AMPTAH because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2017 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Does a government shutdown include the executive branch? If so, he should totally do it.

posted on Aug, 23 2017 @ 01:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

They will when NAFTA gets ash-canned.

You mean the American consumer will pay for the wall through the cost of tariffs being passed on to them.

posted on Aug, 23 2017 @ 01:26 PM
link   
makes a change for le prez to actually blame those stonewalling (pun intended) his policies rather than the media or opposition party with no power.

posted on Aug, 23 2017 @ 01:27 PM
link   

SHHHHH... you're not supposed to say that out loud.

posted on Aug, 23 2017 @ 01:30 PM
link   

I heard him say that--it was an afterthought meant to solidify his position and nothing more. He's not really going to shut down the government--hell, he doesn't even have that authority.

But people will jump all over this and loose their poopoo over it...

posted on Aug, 23 2017 @ 01:37 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

I was under the impression the first instance where we're going to stick the cost to Mexico is taxing all the money Mexican's are sending back to their people via Western Union, etc.

It's a start.

peace

posted on Aug, 23 2017 @ 01:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: AMPTAH

originally posted by: Jefferton

You bought that line?

Wait til Canada builds a wall, to stop the influx of all those refugees escaping Trump, and Canada sends the US a bill for the wall.

That's should be fun.

There's another reality developing North of the border.

Canada is being flooded with people running north, just like the US was being flooded with Mexicans.

Whoever is South of the Walls, need to pay the bill, because that's where the people are coming from, that requires these Walls.

I think the US will get the bigger bill, since the US-Canada border is much longer.

We have room, and we are nicer to them in general.

Which is why they aren't attacking and killing us all the time, like in Europe and the US, where they are treated like crap.

posted on Aug, 23 2017 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

he doesn't even have that authority.

I've been looking for info on this.

I'm not sure what the mechanics of a 'shut down' is.

peace

posted on Aug, 23 2017 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

64 House "Democrats" vote for Border Fence

Sep 16, 2006

The following 64 "Democrats" voted to build a 700-mile border fence along the border with Mexico and sold out to the gigantic corporations by creating a permanent underclass of workers who can do nothing but cheap labor for our economy.

BwaaaHaHaHa

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join