It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why does the Right support Trump attacking the 1st amendment and the Free Press???

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 12:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheTory

originally posted by: Deaf Alien

a reply to: JinMI

New to politics and politicans? Stupid question. Sorry.
Anyway I am just trying to point out that Trump is irresponsible. I would say the same for Obama and others if they do this. I am sure right-wingers here would agree with me about Obama since they usually deflect to him anyway, which actually proves my point.
He is free to criticize press all he wants. Just as I am free to criticize him all I want and call him out for lying to his fans. And I don't feel one bit bad for the POTUS taking heat from the media.

As you shouldn't. Likewise no one ahould bad about the media taking heat from the focus of their concern, the media's bread-basket, the POTUS.

I would like to see the right-wing media take the heat as well.

Fox News and Brietbart are the most vilified outlets. They have been taking heat since they started.

I actually like Fox News. I always read their articles and opinion pieces. Of course they are right-wing and they sometimes lie but I find their articles and opinion pieces interesting.
Breitbart on the other hand? It deserves to be vilified. They constantly lie.

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Anyway I am just trying to point out that Trump is irresponsible. I would say the same for Obama and others if they do this. I am sure right-wingers here would agree with me about Obama since they usually deflect to him anyway, which actually proves my point.
He is free to criticize press all he wants. Just as I am free to criticize him all I want and call him out for lying to his fans. And I don't feel one bit bad for the POTUS taking heat from the media.

As you shouldn't. Likewise no one ahould bad about the media taking heat from the focus of their concern, the media's bread-basket, the POTUS.

Fox News and Brietbart are the most vilified outlets. They have been taking heat since they started.

I actually like Fox News. I always read their articles and opinion pieces. Of course they are right-wing and they sometimes lie but I find their articles and opinion pieces interesting.

I have to pay an extra subscription up here in Canada to get Fox News. On the other hand CNN, ABC, MSNBC, NBC, are all apart of the basic package.

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 03:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: kruphix

originally posted by: matafuchs
a reply to: kruphix

Nice try. How is he 'attacking' the 1st Amendment then?

You must not have read the OP.

Right Wing Logic: Counter Protesters are attacking the first amendment for speaking out against hate. But Trump, part of our government, actively attacks and attempts to discredit the Free Press...and they are fine with that.

You are very well known to be very very Right Wing...the question of the OP is WHY do Right Wingers like yourself think like this???

So...go ahead...enlighten us.

Protesters closed down the permitted event.
No one is closing down the media.

The difference is quite obvious.

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 05:53 AM
link   

If anyone is attacking the 1st amendment and trying to take away rights, it is our current President by attacking the Free Press.

HEY, KRUPHIX, CAN YOU EXPLAIN HOW TRUMP IS TRYING TO TAKE AWAY ANY 1ST AMENDMENT RIGHTS LIKE YOU STATED IN THE QUOTED PART? YOU KEEP DUCKING MY REQUEST LIKE YOU DON'T HAVE A CLUE ABOUT WHAT YOU ACTUALLY WROTE.
edit on 24-8-2017 by network dude because: people on ludes should not write threads.

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 06:40 AM
link   
Trump attacking the press has nothing to do with the first amendment. He has a right to hate the press and they have a right to hate him. If he somehow stopped the press from being able to broadcast then that would be opression.

As far as protesters all protesters have a right to speak. Yes even Nazis so if a group takes steps to silence them that is wrong. People should never be attacked for their beliefs. They should just be ignored and made inconsequential. The press and the left have given these hate groups more publicity and drawing people to their cause. You make them a victim and people will join them.

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 06:44 AM
link   

Its not a free press hes been at war with. Thats the Corporate Press. And check your liberalism as liberals are supposed to be anti multinational corporatism.

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 07:01 AM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

What makes mainsteam medias mainstream ?

The elite media set a framework within which others operate. If you are watching the Associated Press, who grind out a constant flow of news, in the mid-afternoon it breaks and there is something that comes along every day that says “Notice to Editors: Tomorrow’s New York Times is going to have the following stories on the front page.” The point of that is, if you’re an editor of a newspaper in Dayton, Ohio and you don’t have the resources to figure out what the news is, or you don’t want to think about it anyway, this tells you what the news is. These are the stories for the quarter page that you are going to devote to something other than local affairs or diverting your audience. These are the stories that you put there because that’s what the New York Times tells us is what you’re supposed to care about tomorrow. If you are an editor in Dayton, Ohio, you would sort of have to do that, because you don’t have much else in the way of resources. If you get off line, if you’re producing stories that the big press doesn’t like, you’ll hear about it pretty soon. In fact, what just happened at San Jose Mercury News is a dramatic example of this. So there are a lot of ways in which power plays can drive you right back into line if you move out. If you try to break the mold, you’re not going to last long. That framework works pretty well, and it is understandable that it is just a reflection of obvious power structures.

The real mass media are basically trying to divert people. Let them do something else, but don’t bother us (us being the people who run the show). Let them get interested in professional sports, for example. Let everybody be crazed about professional sports or sex scandals or the personalities and their problems or something like that. Anything, as long as it isn’t serious. Of course, the serious stuff is for the big guys. “We” take care of that.

What are the elite media, the agenda-setting ones? The New York Times and CBS, for example. Well, first of all, they are major, very profitable, corporations. Furthermore, most of them are either linked to, or outright owned by, much bigger corporations, like General Electric, Westinghouse, and so on.

Noam Chomsky

For ex, CNN is owned by Time-Warner, seventh biggest donor of the Clinton campaign ... that's where their anti-Trump comes from and this explains why the CEO Zucker came down to the redaction rooms to ask his staff to hammer people with the anti-Russian nothingburger.

In the same way :

Corporate Media Aren’t “The Press”, And They Don’t Deserve Your Sympathy

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 07:08 AM
link   

I think your interpretation of attacking free speech and freedom of the press is lacking. By your standards, you are attacking the POTUS's free speech by suggesting he should not be allowed to say what he says about liberal terrorists or the lying media.

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 07:10 AM
link   
If the press told the truth ATS would be a moot point. If the press were arrested for lying, and fined they would stop doing it. The fines should be hefty and be used to fund the American people's needs. Since I am over fifty, I will tell you the people of today have zero manners and respect for each other, or the President. When the press attacks the President they are insulting over half of the American public, who consciously decided to vote for him. I can't stand the news anymore, they are disrespectful and rude. CNN does lie and exaggerate, while representing Ted Warner's opinions. He's the owner of CNN. He has an agenda and uses his business to abuse the president and the public. That's right folks, each media outlet is owned by someone who calls the shots for their company. The worker bees (the reporters) have to comply to the Queen bee (owners) or be fired. All the bees fly around and sting the people with their lies and manipulation. Under Obama the economy suffered, the health care was enslaving the working people, the poor people reaped all the freebies, and the terrorists flourished. I think we all are entitled to some liberating changes to reduce the burden on those who work hard for their families. So sit back and let the President do his job. The press can just shut up about Korea and Iran. The press is the force of the negative drama in our lives. Maybe if they make everyone unhappy people pay more for cable TV making Ted Turner even wealthier. The press can start putting positive educational information out, and work on stopping pollution instead. I agree with the President. The majority of our BIG MEDIA press is EVIL. Free press is good only as long as it is honest and constructive. Otherwise it is an agent of manipulation and evil.
edit on 24-8-2017 by frugal because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 07:19 AM
link   
a reply to: frugal

Ted Turner. He owns CNN. FWIW.

(post by roguetechie removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Because "fake news" is the new "false flag". Both overused and rarely accurate terms

I don't want to believe it, because I don't like it = fake news. At least that's Trump's definition. He cries it out in every snowflake "no fair" Tweet storm.

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 12:38 PM
link   

I am game. Would you quote some lies?

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Something along the lies like the media has proof of Trump involved with the Russians? All the claims of Trump being racist are backed by evidence?

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Why are you trolling? Isn't it time to start on the new fake news narrative about Trump's sanity level? The previous 4 false narratives all fell flat on their face so it's time for the left to make up another one.

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Yea, wouldn't be so bad if they didn't try to provoke race wars, start riots, and censor the rights voice by counter protests. You want free speech go get a permit. Don't show up starting violence to ones who legally have the right to protest. That's a no brainer. Pay the protest fee and people won't say you're in the wrong. Also... If people are protesting the statues not to come down- you're moronic opinion was obviously heard previously. Stop being selfish $15hr goones.

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Their hypocrites

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 09:18 AM
link   

The Right has been busy defending White Nationalists "Free Speech Rights"...but they don't seem to have the problem with the current sitting President of the United States attacking the Free Press every chance he gets.

In one situation, we have US citizens (counter-protesters) protesting against other US citizens (White Nationalists), and for some reason people on the Right are outraged that US citizens (counter-protesters) are exercising their Free Speech to voice their opinions against another group of hateful US citizens (White Nationalists).

In another situation, we have the President of the United States openly attacking the Press and insinuating they are traitors to our nation. He has called them "sick", "crooked", "liars", and to top it off...last night he claimed that the press "doesn't like our country".

I don't get the Right Wing. One situation you have two groups of US citizens exercising their Free Speech...and they choose to defend the one side that is racists, and claim that they are "defending their 1st amendment rights".

The other situation, you have the sitting President attacking the Free Press...and they applaud him.

If anyone is attacking the 1st amendment and trying to take away rights, it is our current President by attacking the Free Press. Government influence into the Press SHOULD be a huge issue...but it seems like the Right is perfectly fine with the President attempting to discredit our Free Press.

Wow. Just wow.

American's free speech right does not include the right to hit people. So if you are 'counter protesting' by punching, clubbing, kicking, spitting on, or throwing urine filled bottles then you are not exercising your right of free speech. You are breaking the law. No Constitutionally protected right gives you the right to break the law.
If you holding a rally by punching, clubbing, kicking, spitting on, or throwing urine filled bottles then you too are breaking the law and not holding a rally.

So let me be clear before I am labeled a Nazi or White Supremacist both sides have been acting like spoiled little brats. Little children who's parents are ignoring their child's bad behavior because doing so might hurt the child's feelings and then the child won't vote for....I mean, love them anymore. Both sides (Antifa/BLM and the Nazis and White Supremacists) are completely wrong. When someone disagrees with you, even at loud volume, it is NEVER ok to initiate violence against a nonviolent person. Once again, just to be clear, if someone is disagreeing with you at loud volumes they are NOT being violent. They are just yelling.

President Trump has called the MSM biased and liars. This is nothing new, I have heard that the MSM is biased to the left since I was 15 (I am now 52). You are equating pointing out the MSM flaws as attacking them. Are you like this in your life? When someone points out your doing something wrong are they attacking you?
When someone points out a mistake I have made I try to correct that mistake. I don't see it as an attack on me, I see it as that person trying to help me and correct the mistake.
How arrogant must you be to see every opinion that differs from yours as a personal attack on you?

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I don't understand where you are coming from. The president has every right to say whatever he wants as long as it doesn't contain "fighting words". He has not done that. No matter what he says, he has the right to say it. You may not like it, but that is just too bad. Please provide proof of the right defending any of the white nationalists. All I have seen so far is the right saying that they have the right to free speech but the right disavowed their beliefs and actions. The Antifa (counter-protesters) are inciting violence, and that is different, but they as well as the white nationalists have the right to free speech. All I have taken from your post is that you believe that certain people shouldn't have the right to free speech and others should. You misunderstand what the right is saying and you have selectively heard what you want to hear. Hillary lost. The Democratic Party is in shambles and promoting violence in the U.S. Get over it and become part of the solution and not part of the problem. Have a nice day!

posted on Aug, 25 2017 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Well said. a reply to: TheSemiSkeptic

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join