It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why does the Right support Trump attacking the 1st amendment and the Free Press???

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+20 more 
posted on Aug, 23 2017 @ 12:08 PM
link   
The Right has been busy defending White Nationalists "Free Speech Rights"...but they don't seem to have the problem with the current sitting President of the United States attacking the Free Press every chance he gets.

In one situation, we have US citizens (counter-protesters) protesting against other US citizens (White Nationalists), and for some reason people on the Right are outraged that US citizens (counter-protesters) are exercising their Free Speech to voice their opinions against another group of hateful US citizens (White Nationalists).

In another situation, we have the President of the United States openly attacking the Press and insinuating they are traitors to our nation. He has called them "sick", "crooked", "liars", and to top it off...last night he claimed that the press "doesn't like our country".

I don't get the Right Wing. One situation you have two groups of US citizens exercising their Free Speech...and they choose to defend the one side that is racists, and claim that they are "defending their 1st amendment rights".

The other situation, you have the sitting President attacking the Free Press...and they applaud him.

If anyone is attacking the 1st amendment and trying to take away rights, it is our current President by attacking the Free Press. Government influence into the Press SHOULD be a huge issue...but it seems like the Right is perfectly fine with the President attempting to discredit our Free Press.

+5 more 
posted on Aug, 23 2017 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: kruphix

Would you stay married to a habitual liar? Would you rather be told the truth or lied to?

2nd line.

edit on 23-8-2017 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

+18 more 
posted on Aug, 23 2017 @ 12:10 PM
link   

what has Trump done to silence anyone?

+19 more 
posted on Aug, 23 2017 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: kruphix
The Right has been busy defending White Nationalists "Free Speech Rights"...but they don't seem to have the problem with the current sitting President of the United States attacking the Free Press every chance he gets.

In one situation, we have US citizens (counter-protesters) protesting against other US citizens (White Nationalists), and for some reason people on the Right are outraged that US citizens (counter-protesters) are exercising their Free Speech to voice their opinions against another group of hateful US citizens (White Nationalists).

In another situation, we have the President of the United States openly attacking the Press and insinuating they are traitors to our nation. He has called them "sick", "crooked", "liars", and to top it off...last night he claimed that the press "doesn't like our country".

I don't get the Right Wing. One situation you have two groups of US citizens exercising their Free Speech...and they choose to defend the one side that is racists, and claim that they are "defending their 1st amendment rights".

The other situation, you have the sitting President attacking the Free Press...and they applaud him.

If anyone is attacking the 1st amendment and trying to take away rights, it is our current President by attacking the Free Press. Government influence into the Press SHOULD be a huge issue...but it seems like the Right is perfectly fine with the President attempting to discredit our Free Press.

Trump has not shut down any media. However, he is most certainly within in his rights to call them out as liars and manipulators. I fail to see how you can even logically connect the two...

posted on Aug, 23 2017 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

Would you stay married to a habitual liar?

2nd line.

I'd divorce Trump immediately after he said to ease off Hillary. so no, I wouldn't stay with a habitual liar.
even if he uses "air quotes" while he talks...

+5 more 
posted on Aug, 23 2017 @ 12:13 PM
link   

When the us govt shuts down a newspaper, blog, or news program get back to me.
The sitting potus giving his opinion is in no way effecting the free press.

theweek.com...

According to the AP, the Justice Department acquired records for more than 20 different phone lines associated with the news agency — including reporters' cell, office, and home lines — that could affect more than 100 staffers. Calling the move a "massive and unprecedented intrusion," AP President and Chief Executive Officer Gary Pruitt demanded that the DOJ explain why it had gone after the records. He also insisted that the government return the phone records and destroy all other copies of them.

When trump does this, it will be time to worry.

link   

Would you stay married to a habitual liar? Would you rather be told the truth or lied to?

2nd line.

So is your argument that if President Trump THINKS the media is lying, then the 1st amendment should no longer apply to having a Free Press???

What is your understanding of Free Press???

+8 more 
link   

What nonsense! Trump speaking and criticizing others is an attack on the first amendment? Your brain must be in the shape of a pretzel.

posted on Aug, 23 2017 @ 12:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

Did I say Trump is silencing anyone? Try reading the OP first before responding.

posted on Aug, 23 2017 @ 12:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Trump has not shut down any media. However, he is most certainly within in his rights to call them out as liars and manipulators. I fail to see how you can even logically connect the two...

So you don't see a problem with the head of our government trying to discredit the Free Press???

Do you think it would be better if we just got our "Facts" from the President?

+4 more 
posted on Aug, 23 2017 @ 12:16 PM
link   

It's really simple with most of these folks ...

Pro Trump = Amazing, wonderful, American, patriotic

Anti Trump = Evil, horrible, anti-American, treasonous

Their love affair with the Constitution and particularly the First Amendment only extends as far as their own narrative is advanced.

Otherwise ... repeal it. Change the laws. Use the power of the state to make others act as you wish.

/sigh

posted on Aug, 23 2017 @ 12:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheTory

What nonsense! Trump speaking and criticizing others is an attack on the first amendment? Your brain must be in the shape of a pretzel.

So there is no problem with the government trying to discredit the media...but there is a problem with US citizens counter protesting a hate group???

+5 more 
posted on Aug, 23 2017 @ 12:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

Did I say Trump is silencing anyone? Try reading the OP first before responding.

OK, I'm going to need a little help here.

If anyone is attacking the 1st amendment and trying to take away rights, it is our current President by attacking the Free Press.

What has Trump done to take away any 1st amendment rights?

You wrote this in your OP. If you aren't smart enough to remember what you wrote, please don't act like an ass to me about not remembering.

posted on Aug, 23 2017 @ 12:18 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

You should ask Melania that question.

posted on Aug, 23 2017 @ 12:19 PM
link   

So there is no problem with the government trying to discredit the media...but there is a problem with US citizens counter protesting a hate group???

The media has discredited itself, and there is no problem with anyone, government or otherwise, to point that out. As for your comparison between the administration and thugs and rioters, again, the shape of a pretzel.

link   

2nd line.

So is your argument that if President Trump THINKS the media is lying, then the 1st amendment should no longer apply to having a Free Press???

What is your understanding of Free Press???

TRUTH!!!!

I want the truth!

Lie to me with BS be it you are just plain stupid, or you are a manipulator, and I am done believing a GD word or opinion that EVER is spewed forth from your sewer pipe.

I guess morality and truth escapes some of you who are entranced with the idiot box?

link   
Right Wingers...simple question, why do you hate "A" but love "B"???

A) US Citizens using their freedom of speech to protest against hate groups.

B) US President trying to discredit the Free Press

It's a very simple question...and not one logical answer yet.

posted on Aug, 23 2017 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hazardous1408
a reply to: seeker1963

You should ask Melania that question.

Little hands given the best foot massages.

posted on Aug, 23 2017 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Shall I get out the dictionary for you???

I said he is attacking...not silencing.

You asked me for an example of Trump "silencing".

Words mean things...if the topic is too complex for you, please see yourself out.

posted on Aug, 23 2017 @ 12:21 PM
link   
The LEFT supported Obama attacking the Free Press. That's just the way things work.

President Trump is more open and honest about how Anti-America/Anti-American the liberal media is.

If the Liberal Media can't stand the truth, they should quit attending his in-house pep rallies. Same with ATS..don't like the poster, don't read his/her posts. Duh!
edit on 8/23/2017 by carewemust because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join