It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Psychological Profile of the Alt-Right

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 03:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Middleoftheroad
What is considered Alt-right? I'd like to know if I fit in your category the left made up for people who voted for Trump.

The Left did not create that term. Those that consider themselves alt-Right made it up.

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 03:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254

The study found that those who self identify as alt-right fall in to two groups. The more extreme Supremacists that are characterized by traits of psychopathy and narcissism. The larger group are the Populists who are more concerned with economic issues affecting the country.

I always thought the two groups of the alt right were either single or double wide.

Another aspect of the study involved participants placing certain groups of people on an evolutionary flowchart. A significant amount of alt-right labeled certain groups like Muslims, Jews, Blacks, feminists, Democrats, and journalists as being sub-human. In contrast, the control group only labeled Donald Trump as sub-human.

Not sure what the control group was, but it is safe to say we have many large groups of like people around the world that see everyone else as subhuman, so I'm not sure how that is different than a like group of people who are all white alt-right.

Also labeling Trump as sub-human basically labels all white males, conservatives, businessmen etc too.

Wonder if they did an alt-left aka anarchists study too.
edit on 22-8-2017 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 03:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

I think that there is a small percentage of conservatives that veer to the far right that this study is probably on the money about- but only a very, very small percentage. Even though the media tends to focus on this very small group in an attempt to make them seem like they are the majority anyone with half a brain knows that they are not, just as the small percentage of extremely far left radicals are made by the media to seem like they are the majority- which we also know to be untrue.

I sincerely wish that people would just talk- actually TALK- to their neighbors and co=workers without citing biased studies and news stories to learn how they actually think and feel about political matters as they would most likely find (as I have) that most of us have more common ground than we actually are being programmed to believe. The media is doing a damned fine job of turning us all against each other and making people feel like they have to pick one extreme side or the other when in reality most of us are just varying levels of "somewhere in the middle".

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 03:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

What is considered Alt-right? I'd like to know if I fit in your category the left made up for people who voted for Trump.

The Left did not create that term. Those that consider themselves alt-Right made it up.

So who leads the alt-right? Is there anyone that actually owned up to identifying with the "Alt-Right? What is the alt-right's goals/purpose?

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 03:49 PM
link   

So who leads the alt-right? Is there anyone that actually owned up to identifying with the "Alt-Right? What is the alt-right's goals/purpose?

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Another example of junk psychology. When will we wake up that these studies are done with a motive in mind? Pure trash.
edit on 22-8-2017 by Justso because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 03:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Middleoftheroad

If you read the article you would see that a large reason behind this study was to get a better grasp on the definition of alt-Right. That's why the only people they categorized as alt-Right were those that self-identified as such.

Do you self-identify as alt-Right? If the answer is no, then the findings of the study probably don't apply to you.

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 03:59 PM
link   

en.wikipedia.org...

So basically someone calling me alt-right could be considered calling me a white supremacist, Islamophobe, antifeminist, and Neo-Nazi. Good to know for future reference...thanks.

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 04:01 PM
link   

en.wikipedia.org...

So basically someone calling me alt-right could be considered calling me a white supremacist, Islamophobe, antifeminist, and Neo-Nazi. Good to know for future reference...thanks.

Could be. That would depend on that particular person on what they mean.

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 04:02 PM
link   

a reply to: Middleoftheroad

If you read the article you would see that a large reason behind this study was to get a better grasp on the definition of alt-Right. That's why the only people they categorized as alt-Right were those that self-identified as such.

Do you self-identify as alt-Right? If the answer is no, then the findings of the study probably don't apply to you.

I don't typically go around categorizing people with the alt-right. Maybe the people that lean left on this site should take note of the study you posted. Especially since most consider all Trump supporters to be alt-right.

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 04:05 PM
link   
what a bunch of nonsense this all is, people need to quit labeling others and judging them based on generalizations, stuff like this is what truly divides people and spreads hatred, it might seem harmless and good intentioned but it distorts the minds of people to become fearful and reactionary, especially when it's repeated over and over, it rewires their brains to ignore the individual and judge people by labels and irrational emotions.

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 04:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Justso

The studies methods and results are readily available in my OP. If the study is trash or biased in anyway feel free to point out those flaws. I'm sure the authors would be happy to know about them before the paper goes to publication.

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 04:07 PM
link   

God made all kinds of people. Where is the news here?

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Please. These guys get paid to write this trash. They sit in their little college offices. Psychological studies have been a big joke for 100 years. People that give them any credibility are hunting for something to confirm their own beliefs. This is, as i said, junk psychology-a term that came into play in the 70's-with all the self help books, and programs like est. Sociology and psychology are the easiest majors in college but like all other wannabe professors, they gotta publish.

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 04:21 PM
link   
There's only 3 problems with this study:
University systems
Psychologists
Polls

Aside from that I'm sure it's fact filled and completely unbiased.
::shrug::

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Ultra Biased "studies" like this one are great !!

Exposes a lot about how desperate Democrats really are.

2018 will be another disaster for them, so keep publishing the "reports" !!

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 04:56 PM
link   
So after deflecting to the Left I'm now seeing a lot of posts attacking the methodology of the study. And yet not a single person is explaining why the methodology is flawed.

All I know is I'm seeing a lot of aggression from one side. Hmm. Now where did I read a study that found those on the alt-Right are more aggressive?

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 05:03 PM
link   

So after deflecting to the Left I'm now seeing a lot of posts attacking the methodology of the study. And yet not a single person is explaining why the methodology is flawed.

All I know is I'm seeing a lot of aggression from one side. Hmm. Now where did I read a study that found those on the alt-Right are more aggressive?

Yeah the "Right" is more aggressive in everything except rioting.

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 06:07 PM
link   
I'm still reading this 26 page study/essay but I'll say my first problem with it is on the third page. "...including violence at political rallies (Berkeleyside editors, 2017) " Berkeleyside being the 'independant' newspaper for Berkeley CA. I guess I share some of the tendencies for the Alt-right when I have a major distrust of media but everything I watched on Berkeley was Antifa created. So when that's being twisted onto the alt-right in this paper I start out skeptical of its contents. In that same paragraph "doxing of political opponents (i.e., publicly releasing sensitive personal information on the internet; Broderick, 2017)"

I'm assuming they are talking about the hacking of the DNC here. If I am wrong in my interpretation feel free to tell me. If I am correct then it is a big leap to lay credit for what is still capable of being a leak on the alt-right which in the first page of this document they admit is decentralized to begin with.

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Interesting, but like all studies, needs more context. It does, however, seem to be supported by other studies, and my own observations of most of the alt-right and Trump fans. Especially the authoritarian and narcissism parts.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join