It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Psychological Profile of the Alt-Right

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 01:53 PM
link   

The 2016 U.S. presidential election coincided with the rise the “alternative right” or “alt-right”. Although alt-right associates wield considerable influence on the current administration, the movement’s loose organizational structure has led to disparate portrayals of its members’ psychology. We surveyed 447 alt-right adherents on a battery of psychological measures, comparing their responses to those of 382 non-adherents. Alt-right adherents were much more distrustful of the mainstream media and government; expressed higher Dark Triad traits, social dominance orientation, and authoritarianism; reported high levels of aggression; and exhibited extreme levels of overt intergroup bias, including blatant dehumanization of racial minorities. Cluster analyses suggest that alt-right supporters may separate into two subgroups: one more populist and anti-establishment and the other more supremacist and motivated by maintaining social hierarchy. We argue for the need to give overt bias greater empirical and theoretical consideration in contemporary intergroup research.

Source

So this research paper was posted online a few days before what occurred in Charlottesville. However, it's existence just came to my attention and I figured I would share it with ATS.

The study found that those who self identify as alt-right fall in to two groups. The more extreme Supremacists that are characterized by traits of psychopathy and narcissism. The larger group are the Populists who are more concerned with economic issues affecting the country.

Another aspect of the study involved participants placing certain groups of people on an evolutionary flowchart. A significant amount of alt-right labeled certain groups like Muslims, Jews, Blacks, feminists, Democrats, and journalists as being sub-human. In contrast, the control group only labeled Donald Trump as sub-human.

Now like all research further investigation is required. That said, this certainly doesn't paint a pretty initial picture. It also goes a way to disprove the claim that the majority marching in Charlottesville for UtR were not racist.

Considering the current climate of ATS I'm sure this will get some pretty harsh feedback. That said, I hope all of you actually take the time to read the study instead of just screaming Fake News.

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Hope you brought your fireman suit with ya

+8 more 
posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 01:59 PM
link   

The 2016 U.S. presidential election coincided with the rise the “alternative right” or “alt-right”. Although alt-right associates wield considerable influence on the current administration, the movement’s loose organizational structure has led to disparate portrayals of its members’ psychology.

Pure propaganda.

The 2016 presidential election culminated in the challengers party loosing blue collar white voters.

A voting based they historically held.

Now suddenly they're all 'racists'.

Which ALT right is apparently code speak.

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Alt-right adherents were much more distrustful of the mainstream media and government; expressed higher Dark Triad traits, social dominance orientation, and authoritarianism; reported high levels of aggression; and exhibited extreme levels of overt intergroup bias, including blatant dehumanization of racial minorities

Ya. That sounds about right.

Will have to read up on this study.

+20 more 
posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Wow a psychological profile about an invented movement the left-wing american media uses as a psyop against its own people to discredit anyone who doesnt buy their schizophrenic storylines.

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

I have to wonder about the control group, thinking that Donald Trump is subhuman. All of the various ethnic and religious factions are obviously human. Donald Trump is human too. Hell, even Hillary Clinton is human.

edit on b000000312017-08-22T14:04:03-05:0002America/ChicagoTue, 22 Aug 2017 14:04:03 -0500200000017 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 02:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: dashen
Wow a psychological profile about an invented movement the left-wing american media uses as a psyop against its own people to discredit anyone who doesnt buy their schizophrenic storylines.

Progressives are just as bad but this isn't the topic of the thread.

I mean, I know you can't help but deflect away to the libtards at all costs but let's at least TRY and stay on topic past the first five replies.

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Fits with what i've seen on here and other places...

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 02:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: dashen

It's not INVENTED..

More like "self stylized". The alt-right coined the name THEMSELVES.

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 02:05 PM
link   
When can we get to the point that NONE of us fit into any political paradigm.

News flash guys. Im a liberal. But I am 1000000% against abortion. Understand the logical fallacy of affirmative action in 2017... And Im probably buying a gun in a few weeks. I also believe in legalizing marijuana at a federal level, I think healthcare is a right, and Ive never been in favor of a single war in my lifetime.

But Id still be classified on the left. And thus, subject to all these types of posts in the reverse. Its ludicrous to label folks like this. Its circa 1950 medical journals classifying EVERYTHING as some form of mania.

I post this rant in a thread against the right for a reason. Its time we end this garbage.

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I don't know anyone who self identifies as "alt-right".

I know plenty of Trump supporters and this article doesn't fit any of them. I'll be sure to let the black family a couple doors down from me (who had lots of Trump signs out last year) know that they apparently think they are "sub-human" according to Liberals.

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 02:09 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

Sounds bout right ?

How ?

Lets switch it up a little shall we ?

Alt-left adherents were much more distrustful of the mainstream media and government

When it comes to Fox News and Trump fits like OJ's glove.

expressed higher Dark Triad traits, social dominance orientation, and authoritarianism; reported high levels of aggression; and exhibited extreme levels of overt intergroup bias, including blatant dehumanization of racial minorities

PERFECTLY describes BLM,ANTIFA.

So why did you agree with propaganda.

There techniques can be found here.

Sterotyping,scapegoating,guilt by association etc.

www.uvm.edu...

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Sounds about right. I wonder what the results would be if the "alt-left" was the star of the study instead of being the minority sample group. I don't think it would be much better.
edit on 8/22/2017 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 02:18 PM
link   
I wonder how many of the people they used also voted for Obama the previous two elections? It's known that plenty of Trump's voters were former Obama ones.

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 02:21 PM
link   

I'd duck and cover if I were you. Oh lord. What a sh** storm this will be.

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 02:53 PM
link   
I'm seeing a lot of deflection to the "Alt-Left." That's not what this study was about. This study was about the Alt-Right. If the authors of this paper or others wish to follow up with a similar paper focusing on the Alt-Left they can go ahead and do so. Hell, they may even find similar findings for such a group. That does not however diminish the findings of this study. Which once again focused on the Alt-Right.

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 02:55 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Nice deflection.

Does the study hurt your feelings?

Perhaps it contradicts your personally-held beliefs that only Leftists are authoritarian in nature?
edit on 22-8-2017 by introvert because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 02:57 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

I guess some missed the great deflection of all.

Running around calling people alt right because the alt left STILL can't own up to their loss.

And still are running around insulting their own voters.

www.nytimes.com...
edit on 22-8-2017 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 03:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

I have to wonder about the control group, thinking that Donald Trump is subhuman. All of the various ethnic and religious factions are obviously human. Donald Trump is human too. Hell, even Hillary Clinton is human.

LOL, HHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA, oh, you weren't kidding?

Um, dood, Hillary is a lizard. Reptilian. NO BS. I'm for real. She has a tail and a forked tongue. I don't make the rules, I just report the news.

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 03:34 PM
link   
What is considered Alt-right? I'd like to know if I fit in your category the left made up for people who voted for Trump.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join