It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you really want to remember history...

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 06:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: Arnie123

originally posted by: seasonal
a reply to: Annee

I was undecided about taking these statues down until someone explained it to me this way:

Should we have a monument of separate water fountains "in your face" in the public square that you are forced to see every day - - as you walk by?

You assume that the separate water fountains are offensive only to black people.

Expand your ideals.

And I indicated that where exactly?

It is not I, who is assuming.
But you did make that assumption, if we need to explain that, thats the problem.

Yes, please explain.
Refer back to your post. It doesn't take much explaining.

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 06:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Arnie123

You have to actually include a countetpoint for you to have made a counterpoint...

"Nuh-uh" is not a counterpoint..
edit on 22-8-2017 by JoshuaCox because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 06:51 PM
link   
To be fair the placements of the statues and the design of them are a part of history. Moving them is like moving Sphinx. Visiting them gives you a sense of being a part of history. Being in the same place.
As businessman would love to say, "location! location! location!"

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 06:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

Give it back to his family obviously.. I'm sure it is worth a pretty penny..

LEE DIDNT WANT THE STATUE MADE!!!

The actual figure in question... you would think any who glorified Lees career would want to respect his wishes...

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 06:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

How is that fair....

Saying to be fair pretends like you are moving to the middle or conceding a point.. not doubling down on your longstanding opinion..

Location , location is right though.. they shouldn't be located at the capital buildings of the nation they betrayed..

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 07:02 PM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

I understand your OP. I just wanted to bring a fresh view to it. Like I said location is a part of history. Moving statues won't erase history but it does give you a sense of "emptiness" like with my extreme example with the Sphinx.
I always like to approach subjects with many different points of view.

edit on 8/22/2017 by Deaf Alien because: Grammar blech

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 07:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

I was undecided about taking these statues down until someone explained it to me this way:

Should we have a monument of separate water fountains "in your face" in the public square that you are forced to see every day - - as you walk by?

You assume that the separate water fountains are offensive only to black people.

Expand your ideals.

And I indicated that where exactly?

It is not I, who is assuming.
But you did make that assumption, if we need to explain that, thats the problem.

Yes, please explain.
Refer back to your post. It doesn't take much explaining.

I'm asking YOU to explain.

I give my permission to re-post the post you are referring to.

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 07:09 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Are you really saying history is being white washed then pushing the lost cause narrative...

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 07:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

I think if moving staues of the confederacy makes someone feel empty inside.. they should prob be asking themselves why..

The Erasing of history was done when they implemented the lost cause narrative.. now the story is being corrected..

I watched an interesting video on WHY the south idolizes the confederacy that was very interesting..

Pre civil war south is the only "good" history the south has..

It was the only time when the most millionaires lived in the south and it was a booming economy...

At least for the aristocrats...

They didn't fight in the revolutionary war and after the civil war it has just been abject poverty..

Reconstruction, Jim Crow, segregation, .. the last hundred fifty years has been hard on the south.

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 08:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox

You have to actually include a countetpoint for you to have made a counterpoint...

"Nuh-uh" is not a counterpoint..
Oh the irony and hyprocrisy you display is rich.

I won't entertain the delusional and ignorance of some displayed here, I made a promise to a mod and I intend to keep it. Enjoy 😘

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 08:37 PM
link   

"Aka I have no counter point so instead of providing one I'm going to act entitled, and walk away like I "nailed it.."

Lol just lol...

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 08:39 PM
link   

"Aka I have no counter point so instead of providing one I'm going to act entitled, and walk away like I "nailed it.."

Lol just lol...

You too, huh?

Still waiting for mine also.

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 08:42 PM
link   
a reply to: 3n19m470

When and what was the last book censored and/or burned by the US government???

Or are these elusive list imaginary???

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Man I heard a comedian one time say something like..

"No matter what stupid "decider" type idiocy W Bush says in his press conferences ,at the end he always looks at the camera and winks like "nailed it!"..

Lmao

So now ecery time some one is like "Nuh-uh" then acts entitled that's what I think..

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 11:37 PM
link   
I found a fantastic article on the relation of slavery to the Civil war written by Robert McKenzie, professor and chair of the History department at Wheaton college. Don't let the name of his blog put you off; he doesn't mix religion with this article at all and he pulls no punches.

What makes this article extraordinary is it gives a balanced view and tells in detail how the North felt about slavery. The Southern states seceded over slavery but the war was not initiated with the idea of ending it. That is the critical point. Even for those with lots of historical knowledge its worth a read.

According to the southern myth, the war was a contest between zealous defenders of the Constitution and those who would trample the country’s founding charter beneath their feet. According to the northern myth, the conflict pitted advocates of human bondage against champions of human freedom. Finally, most importantly, both regional myths are wrong.

faithandamericanhistory.wordpress.com...

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 11:37 PM
link   
a reply to: dothedew

They were never an issue (nor should they currently be) until people started thinking up different ways to be offended, and that's exactly whats happening:

They became a matter of national consciousness after Dylan Roof killed 9 people, including a state senator, in an attempt to start a race war. Harold Covington, the founder of the Northwest Front, a White Supremacist group, called the attack "a preview of coming attractions".

South Carolina decided to remove the Confederate battle flag from State flagpoles. Charlottesville city council decided to remove the R.E. Lee Statue from it's park.

White Nationalists from across the country butted into local business which was none of their business.

edit on 22-8-2017 by pthena because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2017 @ 07:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

Really...

From faithandAmericanhistiry.com..

Is that actually a white supremacists site or does it just sound like one....lol

If that doesn't scream "lost cause " and "conservative think tank" I don't know what does..

I'm rushing for school, but will post a couple dozen working southern historians , with confederate ancestry. Who will happily point out everything I've said about souther fire eaters.. a specific group of people not a nickname for a social group..

Lmao... it's a Christian site telling Christians how they should think about history...

Think it goes indepth on how all the "southern baptists churches " are called "southern " because they backed slavery.. even saying it's gods plan???

Or ya think they convienently leave that out

edit on 23-8-2017 by JoshuaCox because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2017 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Lol just lol...

You too, huh?

Still waiting for mine also.

I'm still waiting to hear how your life has been negatively affected by a Civil war statue.

posted on Aug, 23 2017 @ 07:36 AM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

Civilizations have tried to erase history before and it looks nothing like this..

They go on private property and burn everything related and kill anyone who is part of that group..

Heres what that looks like today.

Erasing history 101--

posted on Aug, 23 2017 @ 08:02 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Glorification of the civil war has absolutely influenced EVERY single white supremacists group and (separately for different reasons) influenced every militant anti government group..

All of them have adopted confederate iconography...

Every single one.. usually as their main symbols..

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join