It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you really want to remember history...

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 03:27 PM
link   
a reply to: pthena

So a rally about removing statues, provoked an attack and because of that, you claim that the statue hurt you?

I'm afraid you win. I can't fight logic like that. Hell, I can't even understand it.

BTW, your avitar triggers me, I'm a snowflake like that, you need to change it.....NOW.

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 04:09 PM
link   
History isn't taught in school anymore because it isn't in the common core curriculum.
If they don't test for it they don't teach it.
Read the short article from the link posted on page 3 by Funem - nypost.com...

What history teaches us:
1) The imperfection of man. There is no black/white but varying shades of gray. People who accomplish great things are often guilty of being morally imperfect beings.
2) Time and place are everything. We are all products of the time and place we grow up in and absorb the social norms. If you grow up in a slave society it's perfectly normal. If you grow up during war that become normalized too.
3) Human history is a progression, building on the accomplishments of our forebears. We have never attained perfection as a society nor will we ever but it is still what we strive for.

I may have learned history from books but it was all the traveling I did with my parents as a child that sparked my curiosity. I especially loved forts and battlefield and my folks were kind enough to indulge me. By the time I was in High School I had been to nearly every major battle site (revolution and civil war) in the US. I loved building models of planes, ships and tanks which encouraged learning more about World War 2. In high school I was lucky enough to have as a history teacher the man who would later become the largest publisher of American civil war books - Harold Howard who until recently had retired and worked as a volunteer at the Appomattox, Va surrender site.

If schools are teaching history it's doubtful any are reading books on it, books are becoming passe and with it the attention span needed to learn complex subjects. Digital technology is destroying minds faster than the 5g network.
edit on 22-8-2017 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Hecate666

Auswich doesnt have statues of nazis in full battlefield regalia out front...

What would you say the reaction to that would be???

Think everyone would be like "it's remembering our history!!"

Hell no...

I wouldn't be surprised if there were nazi statues out front that were instantly torn down...

Man you "lost cause types " just choose the WORST analogies for the point your trying to make lol...

"What's next Columbus?!!?"

While Columbus was jailed in his own time for commiting atrocities inthe new world..

"How come no one takes down lenins statue?!? "

Because he didn't betray America and it's on private property.. not public land..paid for by tax dollars..

To make a strong analogy the variables have to match lol..

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 04:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

I don't see anything inherently wrong with your list..it's missing nuance, but there definitely isn't anything evilthere..

People aren't reading books , but they are watching documentaries, podcasts and lectures from the best historians in the biz..

Information is not less available now..

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 04:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Arnie123
a reply to: Annee

...and have you seen this water fountain monuments? Where are they and how is it relevant to civil war statues?

If I need to explain that - - - there's a problem.

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 04:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

I was undecided about taking these statues down until someone explained it to me this way:

Should we have a monument of separate water fountains "in your face" in the public square that you are forced to see every day - - as you walk by?

You assume that the separate water fountains are offensive only to black people.

Expand your ideals.

And I indicated that where exactly?

It is not I, who is assuming.

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

It stops with removing the statues glorifying treason from the public land of the nation they betrayed...

No one with ANY athority is saying to remove things from provate land or placing a ban on such things...

Well no one with athority on the left..

The right is making that analogy without ANYONE WORTH LISTENING TO SAYING IT!!!!

You can find an idiot with no power or following saying ANYTHING...

What elected official or head of some bigwig left wing group is pushing that???

None of them...

It's a slippery slope logical fallacy..

"Let's not talk about the actual issue, let's talk about widespred bans and confiscations!"

No different than the assault rifle ban... ON NEW ASSAULT RIFLE SALES!! As any legislation has ALWAYS included a grandfather clause..

No one right wing is willing to debate that...any conversation is instantly pivoted to "should they ban all guns and go house to house taking them???"

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 04:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

I was undecided about taking these statues down until someone explained it to me this way:

Should we have a monument of separate water fountains "in your face" in the public square that you are forced to see every day - - as you walk by?

You assume that the separate water fountains are offensive only to black people.

Expand your ideals.

But you did make that assumption, if we need to explain that, thats the problem.

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 04:34 PM
link   

...and have you seen this water fountain monuments? Where are they and how is it relevant to civil war statues?

If I need to explain that - - - there's a problem.
Please explain. One era has slaves, the other era saw the breaking of the color barrier.

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Not the point...and one reason the south was never gonna win..

The north hadn't even begun to tap its full population.. the Rich didn't even have to fight..

From an American pov they are the villains... yet the staues portray them as the heros..

A heel is a bad guy in pro wrestling and a baby face is the good guy.. both fighters play their roles.

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 04:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Arnie123

BWAHAHAHA

THE CONFEDERACY 'a soldiers were born Americans. They renounced their citizenship. Trash canned the uS constitution and wrote their own. Right before organizing a rebellion that killed a few hundred thousand US soldiers....

But are you honest enough to look at it and think "traitors???"
edit on 22-8-2017 by JoshuaCox because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 04:56 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Except that's how it works....

Where do we get all our history from??? The establishments historians... they establish the baseline and people argue it...

No one is going around executing or jailing people preaching the tired lost cause propaganda..

It is perfectly legal to do that..

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 05:09 PM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

I don't think it works all the way with a "hero statue.."

Those are not statues a civilization made about the bad guy..

They are protagonist staues not antagonist statues..

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 05:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox

BWAHAHAHA

THE CONFEDERACY 'a soldiers were born Americans. They renounced their citizenship. Trash canned the uS constitution and wrote their own. Right before organizing a rebellion that killed a few hundred thousand US soldiers....

But are you honest enough to look at it and think "traitors???"

Nope. We are in the 21st century, I look back at OUR mistakes and remember what we, as a nation, did to each other.

It was a terrible time, as to me it was much more then slavery, but a fight for identity, who we are and what we must do to move forward, for our nation to advance. I don't look at confederates any differently then union Soldiers, that wasn't my era, it was their era, a countries testament of their resolve, of which WE emerged BETTER.

The war ended along time ago, outdated mindset you have. Grow up.
edit on 22-8-2017 by Arnie123 because: additional

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Ok so you are the one erasing history then.. cool. Good to know.

It doesn't mean jack $H!+ what the confederacy means to you because you weren't there....

There is a very clear paper trAil left by the architects of the civil war..

Every wars individual soldiers fight for a thousand different reasons..

But the cause of the civil war was not the soldiers..

It was the southern fire eaters afraid the slave states were gonna lose their congressional majority and after that the free states would abolish slavery..

They all clearly state that in ALL their letters and contemporary documents..

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 05:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox

I don't see anything inherently wrong with your list..it's missing nuance, but there definitely isn't anything evilthere..

People aren't reading books , but they are watching documentaries, podcasts and lectures from the best historians in the biz..

Information is not less available now..

Even the "information" coming from PBS tends to have a bias to it as does Hollywood in their movies. Aside from the red neck stereotypes everything made tends to be told from any viewpoint other than that of Southern Whites. Whenever you see Southern whites in media or movies just watch how they are portrayed and decide for yourself.

Ken Burns Civil War was the last unbiased (mostly) documentary I can recall seeing.

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 06:06 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Civilizations have tried to erase history before and it looks nothing like this..

They go on private property and burn everything related and kill anyone who is part of that group.. they make whatever illegal to say or teach.. punishable by death or incarceration..

That's not what is happening AT ALL..

How is this different from a micro aggression???

"Sure it isn't actually erasing history, but I FEEL like it is so..."

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 06:07 PM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

The Statue of Lee was donated by the same man who donated the land the park is composed of.
What then?

Eta: Since this was during the Jim Crow Era he also made a park for the Black people.

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 06:11 PM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

Ok, so you don't know what you're talking about, just rambling nonsense.

Got it.

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Expand your ideals.

But you did make that assumption, if we need to explain that, thats the problem.

Yes, please explain.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join