It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you really want to remember history...

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I'd say removal of these statues is helping to remove history. Kids and adults see these things and ask questions about why their there. From a quick Google it appears (just as in the UK) that alot of American history isn't being taught.
www.google.co.uk...
If these statues are removed and the real history isn't being taught in schools then that is a major problem.
As a child/adult in the UK iv learnt more about our history by seeing monuments or statues. Especially as it's more visual than what you get from a book.
I'd keep the statues but add more plaques to them and explain to people why and what happened.
As far as people saying there traitors and shouldn't be remembered. We have a statue of a certain traitor in parliament square, we're not demanding that be the torn down because he's a traitor.

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 01:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
a reply to: JoshuaCox

OK, I'll believe you when you can explain to me how the Civil war statues have negatively affected you over the years and show me some other writing you have done on the topic in the past. You know, just prove that this isn't some knee jerk reaction that the MSM told you to have.

Even if it did negatively effect him... Buck up, and be a man goddamn you! Yeah some things in life hurt, since things make you cry. So what? You living better than 90% of the people on the planet would be good enough for most people. You'd think people would be expending some effort to help the BILLIONS living below poverty. But no lets cry like an infant "the big bad statue hurt my feewings!" ME! ME! MEEEE!

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 01:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox
History is written in books and learned in classrooms.. not from statues at courthouses..

Erasing history would be burning books...

I beg to differ. History is learned in many ways: books, artifacts, statues, buildings, cave walls....who knows what those in the future will find to teach of the future-past.

Where does it stop? Will Churches and their statues be next? Will libraries be far behind?

The Islamic jihads of 1531 through 1543 by the neighboring state of Adal destroyed many royal churches, libraries, and monasteries, resulting in the loss of all of their records.

www.metmuseum.org...

The Islamic State is demolishing tombs, statues, mosques, and shrines of importance to Christians, Muslims, and Jews.

news.nationalgeographic.com...
en.wikipedia.org...

Destroying cultural heritage: more than just material damage

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 01:08 PM
link   

History is written in books and learned in classrooms.. not from statues at courthouses..

Where kids play on the grass and go 'daddy, who is that statue?'

Erasing history would be burning books...

Erasing the past begins in grade school. Adults already know the history, they learned that from their fathers knee, not school books.

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 01:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Funem
I'd say removal of these statues is helping to remove history. Kids and adults see these things and ask questions about why their there. From a quick Google it appears (just as in the UK) that alot of American history isn't being taught.
www.google.co.uk...
If these statues are removed and the real history isn't being taught in schools then that is a major problem.
As a child/adult in the UK iv learnt more about our history by seeing monuments or statues. Especially as it's more visual than what you get from a book.
I'd keep the statues but add more plaques to them and explain to people why and what happened.
As far as people saying there traitors and shouldn't be remembered. We have a statue of a certain traitor in parliament square, we're not demanding that be the torn down because he's a traitor.

The fact he thinks the books are safe is...treasonous, to his own mind and his very humanity. He knows censored/edited/banned/even burned books are on the list, and hes fine with it. At least admit, if not to us, then at least to yourself, that this is about more than statues and flags.

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

We all know of the evils of the RCC...

WELP, there goes most of leonardo da vincis racist paintings along with 80% of everything produced during the Renaissance period...

What era of time should we next judge under today's modern-colored looking glass?

Slavery existed from the beginning of time. I guess we just bullsdoze it all and start from scratch. Everytime someones feelings get hurt, we know we went down the wrong path again, and we start over again at square 1 till we get this right!

Ok, once more, from the top!

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Pat McCrory, my hero.

So you support a racist ahole. He proved that when he repealed the racial justice act. Small wonder why the removal of statues that were made to remind blacks who is still in charge bothers you so much.

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Interesting.

The American solution was killing each other.

While recently others just outlawed it.

Africa Main article: Slavery in contemporary Africa Burning of a Village in Africa, and Capture of its Inhabitants (p. 12, February 1859, XVI)[82] In Mauritania, the last country to abolish slavery (in 1981),[83] it is estimated that up to 600,000 men, women and children, or 20% of the population, are enslaved with many used as bonded labour.[84][85][86] Slavery in Mauritania was criminalized in August 2007.[87] (although slavery as a practice was legally banned in 1981, it was not a crime to own a slave until 2007).[88] Although many slaves have escaped or have been freed since 2007, as of 2012, only one slave-owner had been sentenced to serve time in prison.[89]

en.wikipedia.org...

There's an object lesson to be learned there people.

There should be literally no one defending the American CIVIL war.

The first time the state declared it's own citizens as enemy combatants so to speak.

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 01:33 PM
link   

So taking down the Martin Luther King Jr. statues, changing street names would all be cool with you? I mean, his history is still in books and all, so removing it would be fine, not to would be, as you say, "just stupid".

You're reduced to equating MLK and the Confederate generals?

a reply to: Arnie123

They are a memorial of our past, to remind us of our prior actions, good AND bad.

Not really. There are memorials that honor those who died in war and the appropriate place for them are in the battlefields and cemeteries.

Statues that litter courthouse squares around the South and other public spaces were erected to lionize Confederate generals and politicians by exclusively white local and state governments at a time when those same governments were actively oppressing the non-white population.

Notice none of them erected any monuments showing the horrors of slavery or celebrating the liberation of the enslaved.

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 01:34 PM
link   
whoa there...... you're missing a big effect here.

Number one, history taught in schools (at least middle and high school) is complete crap, with entire wars covered in a 7 page chapter, ideas summed up in a paragraph, with massive edits and rewrites, with entire issues, conflicts and truths completely skipped and/or ignored. If you only get your history from textbooks and school, you may as well be watching nothing but CNN for all of your nightly news and facts.

Number two, and one very important fact, statues stick out. Not everyone has the urge or the time to go to museums, let alone find one locally that has information that you are interested in. Statues draw attention. They take otherwise uninterested people, and makes them interested. People see them and (in most cases) want to know more about them, the history behind them. What happened, why they're there, etc.

That leads to wonder. To curiosity. To learning.

They don't stand for the sole purpose of idolizing someone's hatred, no matter how hard you believe it, or how many tears run down someone's cheeks as people hypocritically call for removal of historical artifacts and memorials, while having no problem with.... monuments to our own government.

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 01:43 PM
link   

When something has been there long enough to go from statue to historical monument than yes, you are removing that history. That statue was there years after segregation was over. It's young kids who were ever slaves that are offended. It's young kids who were never segregated. I mean 40 years or so but now it's a problem.

When you look at that statue, it doesn't represent slavery. Both had slaves. It was about not being pushed around by a union. It shows what we been through. It's a constant reminder of what Americans have endured together.

No matter how you want to twist it, it's history. The time it's been there is history. People didn't do this crap 40-20 years ago because it's a low blow and a stupid way to have civil rights. Robert E. Lee has been dead for a long time and yet he is getting the best out of kids 16-28 who somehow still need to feel special.

We have statues of red coats. They brought slaves here. They taxed us and tried slave us. We wanted a republic, not a monarchy. They are tax oppressors, should we take those down too? No, we as Americans honor their death and honor their views. We honor them in history for being people who fought to keep us a British colony. Do you have ANY idea how Britain treated Irish people?

We are on the verge of stopping North Korea. A true statue of imperialism and oppression. You want the people of the world free? Because places in Africa... the middle east.. Korea.. those people aren't free. Worry about that. Worry about thousands that die elsewhere in world.

I assure you, you aren't being oppressed here. So stop wasting your breath, stop drawing attention away from real problems other than a sculpted rock.

You know how many children go into sex trafficking in the world?

You know how many slaves are still in Africa and in the Middle East?

Those are REAL PROBLEMS! Join the bandwagon on fighting it instead of tearing down a statue that represents our victory and progression- use that time, energy, and brain power to fight it in the world where it is still accepted! Tearing down statues don't change the world, pal. You think you're going to end racism here by doing that- you're wrong because racism is a fart in the wind here.

Also, history book doesn't change anything. You'll still have people who think Julius Ceaser was Jesus Christ. You will still have people who think blacks are only ones to be slaved in America. You will have people who will deny the holocaust will happen and you will have people deny that the cival war ever happened. Putting it down in a book isn't enough, apparently.

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: FauxMulder

And I doubt anyone is trying to move them... though they don't exactly tell the whole story either though..

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 01:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
Interesting.

The American solution was killing each other.

While recently others just outlawed it.

Africa Main article: Slavery in contemporary Africa Burning of a Village in Africa, and Capture of its Inhabitants (p. 12, February 1859, XVI)[82] In Mauritania, the last country to abolish slavery (in 1981),[83] it is estimated that up to 600,000 men, women and children, or 20% of the population, are enslaved with many used as bonded labour.[84][85][86] Slavery in Mauritania was criminalized in August 2007.[87] (although slavery as a practice was legally banned in 1981, it was not a crime to own a slave until 2007).[88] Although many slaves have escaped or have been freed since 2007, as of 2012, only one slave-owner had been sentenced to serve time in prison.[89]

en.wikipedia.org...

There's an object lesson to be learned there people.

There should be literally no one defending the American CIVIL war.

The first time the state declared it's own citizens as enemy combatants so to speak.

Don't expect any tears to be shed for those poor Africans who were not fortunate enough to be born in the USA, or any Western nation.

The real suffering and oppression is going on Right Here. THIS is the big priority. THIS is what people living in the most privileged most wealthy, most powerful nation do with their free time which could be spent helping others far less fortunate than they.

They throw a big tantrum. Wow.

I never see any of these whiney lazy ppl down at the soup kitchen feeding the homeless, no, that's just evil religious right stuff.

You wanna help make things better?
GRAB A LADLE!!!
edit on 8/22/2017 by 3n19m470 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: 3n19m470

The real suffering and oppression is going on Right Here. THIS is the big priority. THIS is what people living in the most privileged most wealthy, most powerful nation do with their free time which could be spent helping others far less fortunate than they. They throw a big tantrum. Wow.

First world problems.

Removing statues.

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Henry III's statue was removed by George Washington

and that's how none of us know who won the American Revolution

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 02:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
a reply to: 3n19m470

The real suffering and oppression is going on Right Here. THIS is the big priority. THIS is what people living in the most privileged most wealthy, most powerful nation do with their free time which could be spent helping others far less fortunate than they. They throw a big tantrum. Wow.

First world problems.

Removing statues.

This is true.

Unfortunate, but true. Never considered it.

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 02:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010

Pat McCrory, my hero.

So you support a racist ahole. He proved that when he repealed the racial justice act. Small wonder why the removal of statues that were made to remind blacks who is still in charge bothers you so much.

Because I know the man, I know who he is, and what he believes, yes, he is my hero. He isn't racist, he is a realist. I do realize you are not, so that part would never register, but if you are going to slander him, at least have the balls to learn a little bit about him. First and foremost, he isn't governor anymore, the liberal looser Cooper beat by saying Derp, HB2, Derp.

I guess stupidity is easier than to make an intelligent reply.

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 02:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

So taking down the Martin Luther King Jr. statues, changing street names would all be cool with you? I mean, his history is still in books and all, so removing it would be fine, not to would be, as you say, "just stupid".

You're reduced to equating MLK and the Confederate generals?

No sparky, I'm talking about statues. The thread title mentions them, please try to keep up. They are art made to emulate and commemorate a significant person, place, or thing. A statue of MLK jr. is no different than a statue of Robert E. Lee in that regard.

would you like to take a crack at the million dollar question? How have statue of Civil war soldiers hurt you?

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 03:14 PM
link   

would you like to take a crack at the million dollar question? How have statue of Civil war soldiers hurt you?

A bunch of characters marched around a statue carrying torches and chanting Nazi slogans. The next day they were told to disperse by police. One of the characters got into his car and drove into a group of local counter-protesters, many injured, one killed.

Excerpts from President Donald J. Trump’s Remarks

A wound inflicted upon a single member of our community, is a wound inflicted upon us all. When one part of America hurts, we all hurt. And when one citizen suffers an injustice, we all suffer together.

Loyalty to our nation demands loyalty to one another. Love for America requires love for ALL of its people.

If there was no statue there, as a rally icon, the killer would have stayed in Ohio on the internet. The rally was specifically intended to get people like him off the internet and into real space of flesh and blood.

edit on 22-8-2017 by pthena because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 03:24 PM
link   
a reply to: pthena

We can take your own logic at hand and make the claim that if there weren't any liberals threatening to tear down anything and everything that hurts their feelings, there never would've been a rally there in the first place.

The only people these statues are hurting, are insecure folks who want attention for the sake of being part of something. The only part of these people that the statues are hurting, are their feelings.

Fact of the matter is, it doesn't matter who you are or what ruffles your jimmies. A statue stands there. Static. Unmoving and uncaring. They were never an issue (nor should they currently be) until people started thinking up different ways to be offended, and that's exactly whats happening: Brainstorming different avenues to play the victim card, attempting to give power to and legitimatize feelings, and receive attention and praise the whole way.
edit on 22-8-2017 by dothedew because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join