It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Small Town HOA Bellville Tx Spends $100,000 In 8 years, Hires 13 lawyers To Close Chicken Coop

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 11:21 AM
link   
The worst part is that they are nearly impossible to dismantle once they are established. The HOA is a legal entity, separate from the homeowners. The HOA, as an entity, is much more powerful than the homeowners (as a legal entity, that is). Even if the majority of residents want to end the HOA, it doesn't matter.

I've seen this firsthand in a neighborhood my parents once lived in many years ago. A neighborhood where not a single homeowner wanted the HOA. HOA was run by folks that didn't even live in the neighborhood. The fees were too high for the minimal services provided. People wanted to take control of their own property again and be able to add a fence or plant a tree without a huge hassle. Long story short: lots of lawyers (and money) later, the HOA still stood. HOA "won".

I understand HOAs have a purpose they can serve, and in the right situations they can be very useful. But it seems insane to create a legal entity that is so resistant to destruction that when it becomes corrupt or is no longer useful to the very community it is supposed to serve it cannot be shut down.

I know laws vary by state... my parent's old neighborhood was in Illinois. (Need I say more?)

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 11:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: incoserv
I can't understand why anybody would live in a place with an HOA. If I did, I can pretty much guarantee you that I'd end up in prison for long time.

I figure if you're stupid enough to live in a place where there's an HOA, you made your bed. If people had enough sense to refuse to buy in any place where there's an HOA, things would change.

There are communities where it is almost impossible to find a home that isn't in an HOA.

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 11:33 AM
link   
My understanding is that no municipality can pass a law preventing the establishment and maintenance of an active chicken coop in Texas.

HOA's, on the other hand...cross into contract law.

I mean no insult to people who live in HOA's....but ya'll are crazy. We already have 500k laws to pay attention to, and you are volunteering for more? Its not what i'd do.

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 11:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
My understanding is that no municipality can pass a law preventing the establishment and maintenance of an active chicken coop in Texas.

HOA's, on the other hand...cross into contract law.

I mean no insult to people who live in HOA's....but ya'll are crazy. We already have 500k laws to pay attention to, and you are volunteering for more? Its not what i'd do.

People get all bent out of shape over HOAs when 99.9% of them operate with very little conflict. The issues tend to arise when you have a homeowner who wants do something out of the norm for the community. This is why I said HOA rules exist because some people simply do not know how to be a considerate neighbor. They lack basic common sense and consideration of others.

HOAs are typically found in areas where the houses are conforming to a standard and homeowner's may not have much land. As such, just because someone is doing something in their own yard/home, it can still affect their neighbors negatively indirectly.

I remember a friend who lived in an upscale subdivision community. We raced BMX bikes together. His parents bought this massive double axel motorhome to travel to races in. They tried to park it in their driveway and a few of the neighbors went apesh*t over it as it was basically a greyhound bus. Their HOA did not allow owners to store boats, inoperable cars, motorhomes, work trucks, etc in the driveways because quite frankly, it looked bad and took away from the character of the community.

It is like how some people don't take care of their yards. If affects your home value. I don't want my house devalued because some dipsh*t neighbor is too lazy to cut his grass. This is why there are HOAs.

Yes, some HOAs can be overbearing, but it is up to any homeowner to read the HOA rules, minutes, etc to know what type of community they are living in.

If someone wants to planes, dump trucks, and all manner of crap in their yard then they are more than welcome to do it when they can buy a place away from other or where the neighbors won't care.

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

People are welcome to sign up for extra regulations.

I just think its insane to want to force a neighbor to do something that they don't want to do in order to protect the value of your property. It goes against everything I believe.

But if folks want to sign up for that, my objection to it ends at my participation.

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 12:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

originally posted by: kelbtalfenek

originally posted by: Bluntone22
When you agree to move into a HOA, you agree to the rules.
Don't like the rules?
Don't buy the house.

But sometimes the rules change without notice...or rules are arbitrarily enforced, or not enforced for "special" people. That's what this is about.

HOAs have published declarations and by laws. They can't arbitrarily change the rules without board approval. The vast majority of HOAs function just fine. Every now and then, you have a unique situation that needs to be dealt with. Unfortunately, in those cases it is usually both the HOA and homeowner being both idiots.

I have a coworker that was quite close to the President of his HOA. He could park his commercial vehicle (big gaudy tow truck) overnight without a problem...in front of the house. However, his neighbor with a white unmarked van had to park out on the street entrance...because it's a "commercial" vehicle.

It's not just the rules that change, it's the selective enforcement of them.

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 04:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Indrasweb

originally posted by: DAVID64
HOA are pure poison. Fees and fines for not having the same color house as everyone else? Can't have a small vegetable or herb garden? Only "approved" amount of holiday decorations? Can't park in your own damn driveway and have to park in the garage, because it makes the neighborhood look neater?
I'm sure they think they're keeping the neighborhood up to some kind of standard, but they mostly attract the ones who just want to be able to run their neighbors lives and lord it over them. "Gotta be nice to Mrs X, she's the HOA President and you don't want to upset her". When you start making the payments on my house, you can tell me what I can do with it. Till then...STFU and mind your own business.

I don't believe there is such a thing as these 'HOAs' in the UK. However.. I think they serve as an interesting microcosm of the rest of the world, certainly of governments in general.

The issue I feel is always thus; in order to rise to a position of power you need to be the kind of person who wants to rise to a position of power, the motivation of which is always going to be (at it's most basic) the love of having power and influence over others. The kind of person who loves having power over others is, necessarily, not the type of person you want having power over others.

The kind of person who you would want to have power over others is someone who does not wish to have power and control over others. However, because they do not want it, they will not seek it and, therefore, will never be in a position of power.

This is ultimately the problem of any and all forms of government; the ideology, no matter how noble, will always be corrupted by the fundamental fact that whomever is in charge, wishes to be so.

Apartment blocks in the UK have management companies which do place restrictions on noise, playing loud music, running heavy machinery at night. The biggest problem is the restrictions on drying laundry. Some actually ban the hanging of washing on balconies or outdoor lawns.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

That's the biggest problem. A tumble dryer doesn't always dry clothes entirely. Some don't even have vents that take the extracted steam outdoors and just recycle it in the kitchen. One tenant in our apartment block dried his laundry in the hot water tank cupboard. All that moisture went into the inner spaces between the walls of the apartment block, and caused mold to grow.

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 05:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: VegHead

I can't understand why anybody would live in a place with an HOA. If I did, I can pretty much guarantee you that I'd end up in prison for long time.
I figure if you're stupid enough to live in a place where there's an HOA, you made your bed. If people had enough sense to refuse to buy in any place where there's an HOA, things would change.

There are communities where it is almost impossible to find a home that isn't in an HOA.

Sounds like about the third or fourth circle of hell.
edit on 2017 8 22 by incoserv because: I could.

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 08:24 PM
link   
a reply to: incoserv

Sounds like a suburb of Austin

posted on Aug, 23 2017 @ 11:24 AM
link   
a reply to: KansasGirl

www.bluestar-ranch.com...

Yep, sure will.... in this video it talks about how the rules are unfair. Its about selling chickens IN THE COUNTRY I am surrounded by hundreds of acres. the neighbor that complained about my chickens lived a mile away. she is on the board of the directors in Bellville Texas. (Piney Creek subdivision)

The first chickens I bought were from "her" the secretary of the HOA and she has/had a website selling chickens at that time. The then president also his wife was selling gift baskets, other residents ran window treatment companies, sold cattle, or ran horse training/riding camps. LOTS of people ran companies from their houses and properties. The Bellville Texas HOA in Piney Creek area did not want to allow one business. Mine.

They were using "selective enforcement" against my business Not cool. And also not legal.

We all tried really tried to get them to leave em alone! My family husband and all had many meetings, court sessions, mediation and conversation trying to resolve the issue. For 8 YEARS They kept harassing us even more until the closing of my company and loss of my home.

This video is asking everyone to go to social media and to start complaining about the unfair treatment if Your HOA is not reasonable. This HOA spent $100,000 in 8 years and hired 13 lawyers to close my chicken coop. In the country. So I thought this was very unfair. These are some steps that I am taking!

*************************************************************************************************************************************************

What steps can YOU take if your HOA is harassing you without cause or oversteps the bounds of what is considered reasonable?

When all of your reasonable efforts have failed in trying to work with your HOA to solve your problems and the HOA abuse gets out of control consider doing the following:

*** Contact the Attorney General in your State and file your grievance

*** Post job ads for social media experts on Monster & Indeed or other job boards. Do not underestimate the power of Social Media! Pay a few dollars to teenagers with computers will get you lots of postings!

*** Link to HOA rights groups Do not be afraid to speak out! Tell the TRUTH

*** Post your story on Facebook & Yahoo/Google Groups forums

*** Seek legal advise. Its out there you just have to look for it.

*** The ONE thing HOA's do not want to be is visible to the public. Bring your HOA to the light and tell everyone on your Facebook, Twitter and other social media what your HOA is up to.

*** What has your HOA done to you? Post videos and slide shows about HOA abuse and the unfair things that they are doing to you. Be sure to state "in my opinion" when speaking or writing about your individual case to avoid slander/liable charges. So tell what they have done to you and your fellow neighbors.

*** Let it be known on social media that your HOA's are unfair and need to be controlled with regulations and rules. Join the sweeping movement!

​*** Until you are abused by your HOA you won't do anything. One day your family may receive a "letter in the mail" from your HOA. That's when your legal nightmares begin. You'll to do something then.

*** If your HOA is NOT reasonable (most are not) when you get ONE LETTER from the HOA attorney (usually lawyers are a brother or a friend of the HOA board members) send them back in RETURN 25 letters... 30, or even 50! the lawyers HAVE to read the letters if addressed and certified to them. They will charge your HOA lots of money. Good!

Start taking steps NOW

posted on Aug, 23 2017 @ 11:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Antipathy17

That would be fine,great and wonderful IF you can find a house in
a decent neighborhood with a GOOD school close by. All the homes
in my area have HOA's including mine.

posted on Aug, 23 2017 @ 01:07 PM
link   
a reply to: mamabeth

Take steps. Look at laws being changed! Be prepared. know Your HOA They are looking to start trouble. Be ready.

hoareformcoalition.org...

onthecommons.net...

Until you are abused by your HOA you won't do anything. One day your family may receive a "letter in the mail" from your HOA. That's when your legal nightmares begin. You'll to do something then.

Start taking steps NOW

posted on Aug, 23 2017 @ 02:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: VegHead

Sounds like about the third or fourth circle of hell.

You got that right!

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 05:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

the HOA CHANGED THE RULES its legal for them to do that!

www.bluestar-ranch.com...

Did you know that Homeowner Association make their own rules and change them as they go along?​

Did you know that there are NO RULES governing the powers nor limiting the lawsuits you can be assaulted with based on a "whim" of someone that does not like you?

Did you know that HOA's can foreclose on your home for a minor infraction?

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 02:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Indrasweb

originally posted by: DAVID64
HOA are pure poison. Fees and fines for not having the same color house as everyone else? Can't have a small vegetable or herb garden? Only "approved" amount of holiday decorations? Can't park in your own damn driveway and have to park in the garage, because it makes the neighborhood look neater?
I'm sure they think they're keeping the neighborhood up to some kind of standard, but they mostly attract the ones who just want to be able to run their neighbors lives and lord it over them. "Gotta be nice to Mrs X, she's the HOA President and you don't want to upset her". When you start making the payments on my house, you can tell me what I can do with it. Till then...STFU and mind your own business.

I don't believe there is such a thing as these 'HOAs' in the UK. However.. I think they serve as an interesting microcosm of the rest of the world, certainly of governments in general.

The issue I feel is always thus; in order to rise to a position of power you need to be the kind of person who wants to rise to a position of power, the motivation of which is always going to be (at it's most basic) the love of having power and influence over others. The kind of person who loves having power over others is, necessarily, not the type of person you want having power over others.

The kind of person who you would want to have power over others is someone who does not wish to have power and control over others. However, because they do not want it, they will not seek it and, therefore, will never be in a position of power.

This is ultimately the problem of any and all forms of government; the ideology, no matter how noble, will always be corrupted by the fundamental fact that whomever is in charge, wishes to be so.

You have seen a deeper truth about our society. See you don't like creating threads much, but this could be a new thread idea for someone to post.
It's the same in all aspects of leadership, be it: political; corporate; community; NGOs; clubs; and basically any organization with multiple people, where so called: "leaders", rise to the top.

Understanding this is a revelation, and we never see society the same afterwards. Because these ego-dominated people get all of the fame and applause they dearly seek, and are put on a pedestal by others who want to be like them.

posted on Aug, 24 2017 @ 03:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Nothin

Not really on topic....but if this thread ever gets started, I have some stuff to add to it.

And thanks for pointing out that post i missed by Indra.

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 06:57 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

What steps can YOU take if your HOA is harassing you without cause or oversteps the bounds of what is considered reasonable? When all of your reasonable efforts have failed in trying to work with your HOA to solve your problems and the HOA abuse gets out of control consider doing the following:

Contact the Attorney General in your State and file your grievance
Post job ads for social media experts on Monster & Indeed or other job boards. Do not underestimate the power of Social Media! Pay a few dollars to teenagers with computers will get you lots of postings!
Link to HOA rights groups Do not be afraid to speak out! Tell the TRUTH
Post your story on Facebook & Yahoo/Google Groups forums
Seek legal advise. Its out there you just have to look for it.
The ONE thing HOA's do not want to be is visible to the public. Bring your HOA to the light and tell everyone on your Facebook, Twitter and other social media what your HOA is up to. What has your HOA done to you? Post videos and slide shows about HOA abuse and the unfair things that they are doing to you. Be sure to state "in my opinion" when speaking or writing about your individual case to avoid slander/liable charges. So tell what they have done to you and your fellow neighbors. Let it be known on social media that your HOA's are unfair and need to be controlled with regulations and rules. Join the sweeping movement!
​Until you are abused by your HOA you won't do anything. One day your family may receive a "letter in the mail" from your HOA. That's when your legal nightmares begin. You'll to do something then.
Start taking steps NOW

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 06:57 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

What steps can YOU take if your HOA is harassing you without cause or oversteps the bounds of what is considered reasonable? When all of your reasonable efforts have failed in trying to work with your HOA to solve your problems and the HOA abuse gets out of control consider doing the following:

Contact the Attorney General in your State and file your grievance
Post job ads for social media experts on Monster & Indeed or other job boards. Do not underestimate the power of Social Media! Pay a few dollars to teenagers with computers will get you lots of postings!
Link to HOA rights groups Do not be afraid to speak out! Tell the TRUTH
Post your story on Facebook & Yahoo/Google Groups forums
Seek legal advise. Its out there you just have to look for it.
The ONE thing HOA's do not want to be is visible to the public. Bring your HOA to the light and tell everyone on your Facebook, Twitter and other social media what your HOA is up to. What has your HOA done to you? Post videos and slide shows about HOA abuse and the unfair things that they are doing to you. Be sure to state "in my opinion" when speaking or writing about your individual case to avoid slander/liable charges. So tell what they have done to you and your fellow neighbors. Let it be known on social media that your HOA's are unfair and need to be controlled with regulations and rules. Join the sweeping movement!
​Until you are abused by your HOA you won't do anything. One day your family may receive a "letter in the mail" from your HOA. That's when your legal nightmares begin. You'll to do something then.
Start taking steps NOW

posted on Sep, 1 2017 @ 08:18 AM
link   
a reply to: whistleblowernow

I dont live in an HOA.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join