It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Justifiable hatred...

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 07:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
a reply to: Liquesence

I disagree, if the news was truly objective and was only telling the people what happened, when it happened and to whom it happened, we would not have the problems we do now. Even it it was 24/7 for profit.

I NEVER said news was objective.

It should be, it's supposed to be, some of it is, but the 24.7 cycle is surely not. It's opinion and punditry, to drive revenue and keep people tuned in at all costs while shaping opinion.
edit on 21-8-2017 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Opposition also breeds new thought. It should be acknowledged, not celebrated.

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 07:23 PM
link   

We have a weaponized media, from talk shows that are taken as the gospel truth to news channels that make up stories to newspapers that lie to keep owners happy.

Anti trust laws should be applied, and regulations on who owns what and how much of it.

edit on 21-8-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 07:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

Opposition also breeds new thought. It should be acknowledged, not celebrated.

It does, but it also shapes thought. That's the point.

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 07:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

a reply to: YouSir

The media is feeding an all to willing section of the public that is willing to do anything they are instructed to do. This is a good reason to not have 6 large corporations control almost all American see hear and read.

Fascism is intolerant no matter who uses it.

It's not the media that manufactures hate. Most here at ATS claim to not even watch the MSM but still they hate.
Time to take responsibility for our own hateful emotions and vitriol and not seek scapegoats.

I have given up on reuniting the ATS community after the hate Ive experienced

Where to now...I wonder...?

We might as well fight it out to it's ultimate conclusion. Bring it...

Ummm...I really think you conflate the emotional makeup of your fellows here Jimmy...

Your claim is specious...howabout instead of practicing projectionism...you bring something constructive to the thread...

Why not let go of your stated negative emotional baggage and step lighter...?

Look...I for one wouldn't mind having a real conversation...what say we leave animosity aside and roll up the sleeves of those arms your flexing...?

What say you...?

YouSir

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 07:25 PM
link   
The problem with hating a group is that you may fall into the trap of painting anyone you disagree wiith in that group.

Having said that...

I hate nazis. I hate any group that seeks to use violence against people for political, racial, religious, or anyone other frivolous reason.

I just try to not act in violence out of this hate.

I also allow for the fact that people can change; or people can belong to these groups out of ignorance.

I also try to deal with hateful rhetoric in a civilized manner (which I admit I fail at frequently).

But I don't see how I can ever get rid of hate for groups like that, so I figure I might as well try to use it constructively.

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 07:26 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

We have a weaponized media, from talk shows that are taken as the gospel truth to new channels that make up stories to newspapers that lie to keep owners happy.

True.

Anti trust laws should be applied, and regulations on who owns what and how much of it.

Not sure I completely agree. It's complicated.

Are you, then, for government regulations on private business (media)?

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Yes regulations need to be on private and public businesses and already are. But this media ownership is newish.

These 15 Billionaires Own America's News Media Companies
www.forbes.com...://www.forbes.com/sites/katevinton/2016/06/01/these-15-billionaires-own-americas-news-media-companie s/&refURL=https://www.bing.com/&referrer=https://www.bing.com/
edit on 21-8-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 07:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: YouSir

The media is feeding an all to willing section of the public that is willing to do anything they are instructed to do. This is a good reason to not have 6 large corporations control almost all American see hear and read.

It's not the media that manufactures hate. Most here at ATS claim to not even watch the MSM but still they hate.
Time to take responsibility for our own hateful emotions and vitriol and not seek scapegoats.

Ummm...I really think you conflate the emotional makeup of your fellows here Jimmy...

Your claim is specious...howabout instead of practicing projectionism...you bring something constructive to the thread...

Look...I for one wouldn't mind having a real conversation...what say we leave animosity aside and roll up the sleeves of those arms your flexing...?

What say you...?

YouSir

I'm not Jimmy. Who do you want a conversation with?

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Yes regulations need to be on private and public businesses.

To what degree? To whom? And according to whom?

I agree, to a degree. I do NOT agree that regulations should be put on media.

ETA:

I see your edit, and I am unequivocally against regulations on the media.
edit on 21-8-2017 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 07:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler
The problem with hating a group is that you may fall into the trap of painting anyone you disagree wiith in that group.

Having said that...

I hate nazis. I hate any group that seeks to use violence against people for political, racial, religious, or anyone other frivolous reason.

I also allow for the fact that people can change; or people can belong to these groups out of ignorance.

I also try to deal with hateful rhetoric in a civilized manner (which I admit I fail at frequently).

But I don't see how I can ever get rid of hate for groups like that, so I figure I might as well try to use it constructively.

Ummm...I'm sad to hear that you cling to the very qualities that made the Nazi's monster...

Will we ever reach beyond the grasp of our own shortcomings...?

This bothers me more than I care to admit...

No wonder I often feel lonely...while standing in a crowd...

YouSir

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Alarm bells should be going off.

Back in 1983, approximately 50 corporations controlled the vast majority of all news media in the United States. Today, ownership of the news media has been concentrated in the hands of just six incredibly powerful media corporations.
theeconomiccollapseblog.com... read

6 corps. I see a problem that needs attention.

Time Warner

Home Box Office (HBO)
Time Inc.
Turner Broadcasting System, Inc.
Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.
CW Network (partial ownership)
TMZ
New Line Cinema
Time Warner Cable
Cinemax
Cartoon Network
TBS
TNT
America Online
MapQuest
Moviefone
Castle Rock
Sports Illustrated
Fortune
Marie Claire
People Magazine

Walt Disney

ABC Television Network
Disney Publishing
ESPN Inc.
Disney Channel
SOAPnet
A&E
Lifetime
Buena Vista Home Entertainment
Buena Vista Theatrical Productions
Buena Vista Records
Disney Records
Hollywood Records
Miramax Films
Touchstone Pictures
Walt Disney Pictures
Pixar Animation Studios
Buena Vista Games
Hyperion Books

Viacom

Paramount Pictures
Paramount Home Entertainment
Black Entertainment Television (BET)
Comedy Central
Country Music Television (CMT)
Logo
MTV
MTV Canada
MTV2
Nick Magazine
Nick at Nite
Nick Jr.
Nickelodeon
Noggin
Spike TV
The Movie Channel
TV Land
VH1

News Corporation

Dow Jones & Company, Inc.
Fox Television Stations
The New York Post
Fox Searchlight Pictures
Beliefnet
Fox Business Network
Fox Kids Europe
Fox News Channel
Fox Sports Net
Fox Television Network
FX
My Network TV
MySpace
News Limited News
Phoenix InfoNews Channel
Phoenix Movies Channel
Sky PerfecTV
Speed Channel
STAR TV India
STAR TV Taiwan
STAR World
Times Higher Education Supplement Magazine
Times Literary Supplement Magazine
Times of London
20th Century Fox Home Entertainment
20th Century Fox International
20th Century Fox Studios
20th Century Fox Television
BSkyB
DIRECTV
The Wall Street Journal
Fox Broadcasting Company
Fox Interactive Media
FOXTEL
HarperCollins Publishers
The National Geographic Channel
National Rugby League
News Interactive
News Outdoor
Radio Veronica
ReganBooks
Sky Italia
Sky Radio Denmark
Sky Radio Germany
Sky Radio Netherlands
STAR
Zondervan

CBS Corporation

CBS News
CBS Sports
CBS Television Network
CNET
Showtime
TV.com
CBS Radio Inc. (130 stations)
CBS Consumer Products
CBS Outdoor
CW Network (50% ownership)
Infinity Broadcasting
Simon & Schuster (Pocket Books, Scribner)
Westwood One Radio Network

NBC Universal

Bravo
CNBC
NBC News
MSNBC
NBC Sports
NBC Television Network
Oxygen
SciFi Magazine
Syfy (Sci Fi Channel)
Telemundo
USA Network
Weather Channel
Focus Features
NBC Universal Television Distribution
NBC Universal Television Studio
Paxson Communications (partial ownership)
Trio
Universal Parks & Resorts
Universal Pictures
Universal Studio Home Video

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Having said that...

Ummm...I'm sad to hear that you cling to the very qualities that made the Nazi's monster...

YouSir

I am sorry you feel that way.

I can not control the way I feel, all I can do is try to use those feelings in as construvtive way as possible.

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 07:41 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Like I said, I know the consolidation of corporate ownership in media to few companies. It is troubling, but government regulation is not a solution. In fact, it paves the way for an ever greater problem.

6 corps. I see a problem that needs attention.

So, what do you suggest? What is your solution?

I am against government regulation of media. Period. It's a first amendment issue.

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 07:45 PM
link   

What say you...?

YouSir

Ummm...look Olaru...In my minds eye I see a very intelligent individual...with fine qualities...
I have often thought to myself...wow...look at the things you have done...
Then one day a wall rose up between us...you there...on the other side...I on my own version...
Lately I've come to realize that that wall was a construct of my own...and of your own making...

I'm merely seeking to pry loose one of the stones...perhaps...if we pry it loose together...we could look from our separate perspectives and see the humanity that waits on each other side...

I ever was a dreamer you know...but I can lay all of my misconceptions aside...I can think of you in a way that precludes animus and instead allows for difference...I never was a very good mason anyway...

YouSir

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Wait. There are hateful people and once I hate this hatred I'm a hateful person, too?

Hm... think I'll start to justifiably hate myself for hating too much hate now.

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Having said that...

YouSir

I am sorry you feel that way.

I can not control the way I feel, all I can do is try to use those feelings in as construvtive way as possible.

Ummm...I know good sir...I suppose any exasperation stems from forgetting to lay aside my own perspective when attempting to see the world through another persons eyes...

YouSir

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 07:52 PM
link   

What say you...?

YouSir

Ummm...look Olaru...In my minds eye I see a very intelligent individual...with fine qualities...
I have often thought to myself...wow...look at the things you have done...
Then one day a wall rose up between us...you there...on the other side...I on my own version...
Lately I've come to realize that that wall was a construct of my own...and of your own making...

I'm merely seeking to pry loose one of the stones...perhaps...if we pry it loose together...we could look from our separate perspectives and see the humanity that waits on each other side...

I ever was a dreamer you know...but I can lay all of my misconceptions aside...I can think of you in a way that precludes animus and instead allows for difference...I never was a very good mason anyway...

YouSir

Ok, let's build some trust. You first...

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 07:54 PM
link   

I would ague that it is a 1st amendment issue having 90%+ of media in 6 corporations hands.

posted on Aug, 21 2017 @ 07:58 PM
link   

I would ague that it is a 1st amendment issue having 90%+ of media in 6 corporations hands.

That's capitalism. What would you suggest a Czar of information to decide what is acceptable "News and entertainment"...

Have more production companies? As one in the biz, we spend fortunes finding out what the various demographics want and we give it to em. It's about the money.

Sadly American culture wants garbage rather than "Masterpiece Theater" things change.

edit on 21-8-2017 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join